When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Turning Digital Junk into Analog Clocks

omni

Wonder what to do with all those old worn out computers? One of my fun hobbies is making analog clocks out of dead computer harddrives. Mostly they're simple small clocks I create as gifts to friends. I just finished this pendulum design to enter into a "junk into art" exhibition. It hangs in our kitchen as a 3 foot tall conversation piece of high tech converted into low tech.

Digital-Junk-Clock.jpg

• 2 months later...

Wonder what to do with all those old worn out computers? One of my fun hobbies is making analog clocks out of dead computer harddrives. Mostly they're simple small clocks I create as gifts to friends. I just finished this pendulum design to enter into a "junk into art" exhibition. It hangs in our kitchen as a 3 foot tall conversation piece of high tech converted into low tech.

Digital-Junk-Clock.jpg

Now that is what I call a compuFRANKEN :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You are a very talented man omni...I am impressed with the attention to fine details and finish

all the best

Gunnar :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Haven't been around for months (life has gotten in the way) and just noticed I need to answer Redwatch. The clock didn't garner any awards since they weren't giving out any, it was just an exhibition of what you can do with trash. I've since changed the main 5.25 drive with bigger & longer orange hands since my wife complained she couldn't read it across the room. To let you know how ancient I am in tech years, notice that the circuit board has "Compuserve, Inc." stamped on it. A leftover of the original mother of all forum services when the only way to hook up was phone modems and everything was text only, I used to manage the hard site here on Maui. Glad you enjoyed it.

Over & Out

Ah yes, the good old BBS days. I was on GENie all the way through college on an old 8088 XT PC with amber/monochrome monitor and a 14.4k modem. Of course, there were serious moderators back then and the forums were quite informative and very, very clean!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...