When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any good quartz watches out there? A "Best Quartz" list....

Panther917

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let me put It this way. There are really good reps and there are reps that are just ok, I choose the latter.If Im going to wear a watch thats Is supposed to be a high end Swiss timepiece then I want It to look the part. When your second hand Is ticking you look like a person (Imo) who dosent know a thing about watches or the movements In them. In other words you look like a poser, and not a good one at that. I think It looks silly. This Is how I feel about the subject. As far as the "back door slagging"??? my romance habits are no business of yours sir :g: It's about choices, and I choose to have the correct movement In the watch that Im wearing. If people dont have a problem with this thats fine, more power to them. I dont mind wearing a rep but I dont like wearing a cheap rep. The $7000.00 Panerai with a $25.00 quartz movement In It just dosent do anything for me. Sometimes It's the untangible things that mean the most. It's not just how It's looks but how It feels that can make all the difference to someone. Mike

It's about choices for me. I dont like to wear something that looks painfully obvious. But It's not just how It looks but how It feels. The quartz watches look great but that ticking seconds hand Is something I just cant deal with, so I dont. But thats just my opinion and has no reflection upon you, good luck :) Mike

hey - the value of this community is its diversity...everyone's opinion is different, everyone's circumstances are different, everyone's "world" is different, everyone's taste is different...

i proudly owned and wore AP, Ebel and Hublot quartz reps...in my "world", not a damn person i come in contact with knows anything about these brands...these are value reps in my collection - as i don't want to shell out higher dollars for ones that are automatic and replimanically more accurate...i wear them because i like their looks/style...i wear/own them because i want to "test drive" whether i like their look and feel...at the end of the day, i only need to "impress" me...

i sold the AP and Hublot because i tired of them...no big loss...i sold the Ebel because i knew if i had the quartz one, i wouldn't be tempted to buy the 'panda' automatic i definitely want...i 'test-drove' these quartz models...the Ebel is one i want to upgrade, the others not...that's just one of my strategies - and it works for me...

R-

Guys, I think we are talking about two different subjects while all agreeing on one very important point....No one wants to wear a "cheap" rep.

The intent of this thread was not a Quartz vs Mechanical debate because I think we ALL agree that there is really no debate, part of your point, Maxman....

The intent of this thread was to find good quality quartz reps, not the el-cheapo versions. The intent was to find watches that are in design, weight, feel, general overall replication similar to the gen version. The primary difference being, it simply had the practicality and consistency of the quartz movement. For some models, like the Tag, Omega, Breitling's, that have gen's with quartz movements, this is not a big deal, the "tick" is not going to make you look silly because there is a gen of that same watch / movement. It gets tougher when we look at Brands that dont make a quartz version.

I think HackR "gets it" and really sums up what I was trying to suggest. That there are some models like the HBB, ROO and Ebel that might be fun to try out prior to buying the 7750 to see if you like it. You want one that is going to exhibit the same/similar weight and overall feel of the 7750 without dropping the $ until you know you are going to like it. Sure, you could buy the cheaper asian movement to achieve the same purpose, but we all know that is luck of the draw sometimes on what you get.....The quartz is a much "safer" bet in that they are pretty consistent, at least from the movement quality POV. Now, you get to try out the watch's "feel" w/o as much worry about buying an el cheapo automatic movement that is going to crap out the 10th time you pull out the crown to set the time.

I would also mention that these quartz models are not going to be the only watch in your watchbox, I'm sure you have a dress watch, sport watch, gen models as well. You wouldnt wear that same $7000 Panerai to go skiing or camping or on a sweaty 50k bike ride? At the same time, I dont think anyone would wear a HBB quartz version out to a function that it is going to make me look like they didnt know that it was a fake??? Hell, If I'm going to wear that watch out, I'm telling people it's a fake and a damn good fake at that......:thumbsupsmileyanim:

But honestly, tell me if I wore that same HBB quartz to a Carolina Panthers game, that even 5% of the people I saw, would know what a Hublot Big Bang was, anyway??? As a PSL owner for the past 15 years, I can tell you that 5% is generous....ha!

Great discussion guys, thanks....

Edited by murphy917

Funny seeing the word "poser" on a replica forum...!!!!

I have several high end watches that are quartz, and love them.

They definitely have a place in my collection... maybe not everyone's- but guess what? I couldn't care less what others thought about my collecting habits, I buy watches I enjoy for myself, not for what anyone else thinks. If someone were to take a look at my genuine Seamaster quartz and say anything, I wouldn't even defend myself. I have plenty of genuine Omega's, a few Rolex's and have owned enough watches that could prove my cred to anyone who knows anything about whatches, and I really feel like I have nothing to prove to anyone... especially about something as silly as what I happen to have chosen to wear on my wrist at the time.

On topic...

There's a really great looking TAG Link I really, really wish they would make. They even use a Japanese quartz in a lot of the chrono watches (2-6-10 layout) that is the same subdial spacing, functions and even datefont that it could be perfect. It's the watch in the first "Bourne" movie. I love the Link, and one of these in the same quality as the 7750 watches would be awesome!!

ta5132.jpg

Edited by gillorin

nice work, Murph - in moderating one of the forums hotter topics...but totally agree with you - the intent of the thread is recommendations on "good" or "best" quartz models...and as we alllllllll know - these are subjective words...

well done and thanks for keeping this on track... :drinks:

R-

Great thread this one!

Quartz is unfairly a step child of the fora. And the rep makers.

In my opinion all collections should have some quartz. If you have too many watches (like more than 3...) you will need a winder or a quartz to have at least one watch that tells you the time.

Wearing one does not make you look more of a poser than wearing any other incorrect rep. And as we know, all reps are incorrect. The main issues are how incorrect and to what extent the incorrections irritate yourself as an owner.

Personally I only expect a rep to be plausible. So I assume that any Rolex is very recognisable and a quartz Rollie is therefore not plausible. But nor is an automatic Daytona with faux chronos or any Rollie which is not waterproof. In fact having to take off your sports watch to avoid it getting wet is a much bigger tell than a ticking sub-dial.

Most makes are pretty unknown to Joe Public. So if the watch is well built and looks good it is plausible even if it is quartz. And some of the purists here might be surprised to know that there are quartz versions of most top brand Swiss watches. Even Rolex. In fact the most valuable Gen I have is a gold IWC with a quartz movement.

So back to recommendations:

I just received the following two watches:

B+R without seconds subdial. No way you can tell if it is automatic or not. Looks good, but will need waterproofing:

http://www.watcheden.com/bell-ross-br-02-94-working-chronograph-with-black-dial-and-rubber-strap-new-version-i-16073-p-1.html

Corum Admiral's Cup with incorrect dials but small seconds. I am not concerned about the placement of the dials. They look good as they are and the watch is nicely built, even if this too needs to be water proofed:

http://www.watcheden.com/corum-admiral-s-cup-working-chrono-with-blue-dial-same-structure-as-7750-version-high-quality-i-29359-p-1.html

Now I shall look forward to even more recommendations on this thread.

Perhaps it might even lead to a Quartz sub-forum?

Edited by mbjoer

Now THAT is a good looking quartz rep....Sharp!!! Closest thing I found from all the usual website dealers was this, but yours looks much better...I understand that a lot of quality watches are probably not going to be found in a quartz though, so no real surprise...Good call By-Tor, thanks!

acb4eca1ae3641a41d4fc6c4cddcf733.image.733x550.jpg

That's the exact same rep, good find!!! I've been looking for a two-tone version of that rep. It's the same watch as this guy wore in Miami Vice. My favorite TV show when I was a kid. :)

6208-5891.jpg

I don't care what other people think of me and my watches. Thus, I wouldn't have a problem wearing quartz.

High end rep of the quartz Aquaracer Chrono would be nice too.

tag-heuer-aquaracer-CAF1112.BA0803_LRG.jpg

PS andy66: Your Dirty Leeds signature was way too large. I removed it because such gigantic signature screws the thread layouts. Please make it smaller, something like 600x400 for example. Thanks man.

@By-Tor --> how's the crystal on this rep?...any AR on it?...is there a bit of distortion or is it pretty clear?...my quartz Ebel BTR 1911 (posted pix above in this thread) had a slight domed crystal that did have a little side distortion - mostly caused by the domed crystal...it did also have a slight blue ar tint to it...all in all - i loved it...

thanks...R

The crystal didn't have any distortion. I seriously doubt there was any AR. But it's been 5 years since I owned that one so I can't say for sure.

It had nice weight and feel, and well done details on the dial, no sloppiness anywhere (markers, hands). That's all I remember.

This is the TT version I'm talking about (gen of course). It'd be nice to have repped, it's beautiful.

30ccc1u.jpg

That's the exact same rep, good find!!! I've been looking for a two-tone version of that rep. It's the same watch as this guy wore in Miami Vice. My favorite TV show when I was a kid. :)

6208-5891.jpg

I don't care what other people think of me and my watches. Thus, I wouldn't have a problem wearing quartz.

High end rep of the quartz Aquaracer Chrono would be nice too.

tag-heuer-aquaracer-CAF1112.BA0803_LRG.jpg

PS andy66: Your Dirty Leeds signature was way too large. I removed it because such gigantic signature screws the thread layouts. Please make it smaller, something like 600x400 for example. Thanks man.

Soooooo By-Tor....Should you have a new nickname on the forums? Mabyeeeee.....Crockett? LOL....That Don Johnson pic was hilarious! I hadn't thought about Miami Vice in years. I had 80s flashbacks of rolled up white jackets sleeves and pink ties....ha! Maybe I need to look for the watch that Mr. T or Faceman wore on The A-Team.....??? That was one of my favorites as a kid.

Loved the Tag you listed too...I have a couple of Tag gens and haven't bought any their reps b/c they all look like the logo is distorted to me or the ones with the green/red logo, the colors are off a little, not crisp like the gen....I'm sure there are good ones but I guess I'm just a little overly critical of the Tag reps because my gens look so.....well, genuine....LOL

I have to say I'm really diggin' the new Aquaracer 500m Caliper 5. That has probably moved into my top 5 in searching for a decent looking quartz sport watch. Gotta be water resistant though, I still struggle with having a rep that can't get wet (but that's another subject altogether) The black face model is my fave at this point (but that blue one you listed is sweeeeet) I just need to find a dealer who has a good quality quartz version of that watch. I'm having a hard time finding a good dealer who I know can get me what I want, without constantly bugging them for prices while I'm "just shopping" so have been searching the usual suspects that have an online presence (WE, Silix, Trusty, perfect clones) Watch Eden has far & away more quartz than any of the others, but have never ordered from them and not sure of the quality.

Miami Vice was awesome. Yeah the clothes look ridiculous now but some of the episodes were amazing.

How can you fault against this one... a classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iK-oUDyrM

Can't say anything about the A-Team because it was never aired in my country.

I think it doesn't make much sense to buy reps of the Aquaracer quartz models. Gens can be found for reasonable prices. That particular model should go for $600 - $700 on Ebay. I love the whole Aquaracer line.

Link to Luxury Watch Database, Searchable by brand, movement, etc... Good searchable database at watchluxus for luxury watches, can search for quartz and the refine search by brand. Just in case anyone is wondering if a particular brand makes a quartz version.

OT: Anyone heard any good rumors about Chinese New Year and any new watches or updates coming out? Not necessaryily quartz, just new watches or updates to watch for?

CARTIER PASHA SEATIMER

quote name='mastrmindalliance' date='23 February 2010 - 09:53 AM' timestamp='1266918818' post='799475']

I thought, rather than start a new topic I'd dig this one up... What about watches with no second hand at all?

I know there's some for the ladies, but are there any for the gents?

One of the Hublot Ayrton Senna reps has no second hand MMA, I have one, it's a really nice rep!!

Also have a Tag Carrera quartz, has really cool wee feature that I discovered by sheer chance, if you hit the chrono reset twice it resets the small secs hand and stops it. So basically it looks like no ticking OR sweeping, just the hour minute hands move. Really well made rep too!!

Tag F1 chrono is an awesome quartz rep, basically uses the same as gen, even down to the battery inside it!! The Indy500 is a real good rep too!!

I have the black/red version of hackR's Ebel, in fact come to think on it I bought it from him!! lol. Great feeling rep and it looks great too!!

I have just put up for sale some of my quartz reps to let others 'Test Drive' them. It's a great and much cheaper, way to decide if you want to shell out for the Auto version!!

I have no shame in wearing quartz reps at all, I wear what I like and balls to anyone else! I wear for ME, not anyone else!!

Sixx :bones:

I thought, rather than start a new topic I'd dig this one up... What about watches with no second hand at all?

I know there's some for the ladies, but are there any for the gents?

I have this one, and it's also quartz (not at all high-end though)

DSCN2725.jpg

Originally, it did have a second hand, but, during the process of luming the dial and hands, well, accidents were made, things best not spoken of really :whistling: Anyhoo, it now has no second hand... And, because it's quartz, there's no 'heartbeat' to pick up on while wearing it, so impossible to tell if it's actually running or not (other than the time eventually changing...) To be honest, for that very reason, wearing it really creeps me out :wounded1: Yet by very contradiction of that, I have no problem wearing my Daytona case, which not only has no hands, but no movement either:

DSCN2746.jpg

:bicycle:

Why do you feel the need to have a dig?

Everyones opinion is valid,if you dont agree with mine thats cool but why do you feel that you have to come in with the snide comments?

Oh boy, let me try this again. This Is a deverse community, not everyone feels the same way about every subject. The Important thing Is to be respectful of everyones opinion, good bad or Indifferent. Btw your the one with the back door comment, just saying ;) When I talk about the quartz vs auto debate Im refering to how It applys to myself. It's how "I feel" about paticular watch or movement and how It makes me feel when I wear It, It's a personal thing. How you feel or anyone else feels Is there business, as It should be. I think your taking the snide remark out of context. The ticking second hand on whats supposed to be a expensive(relative) Swiss timepiece makes me feel the ways I described above. How does this affect you?, this I dont understand. :unsure: Im not going to say anymore on the subject, at least not for the next 10 min :D Mike (ps) My friend David who resently became a member here was at a wedding several months back. he was wearing a quartz Rolex that he purchased In Peru. His friend who was sitting next to him looked down at Davids rep and said " did you know that Rolex Is a fake? David somewhat embarassed said " oh yea I knew that,I picked It up as fun watch", or something to that effect. The thing Is David did not know that Rolex makes no quartz movement. I think he was wearing a Datejust. His friend said that his father had a Rolex and told him that "the brand only makes auto movements". David came over to my house and we orderd him a Sub for $189.00, he payed $20.00 for his rep from Peru. I had the Sub sent to my address. When the watch arrived he was so happy. That conversation he had at the wedding had left a bad taste In his mouth :yuk: With my luck I could be wearing a AP or a Concord or Panerai or another watch that we dont see to much of In the wild. With my luck I would be sitting next to a AD or expert who collects these watches and he/she would call me out In front of the girl I was trying to Impress :lol: I know that Rolex Is the most popular watch brand In the world. The likelihood of this happening to other less popular watches Is close to zero. that being said I can not remove those images from the wedding from my mind, the horror of It all :o Sorry to get off track but thought I would share this story. So be carful out there, you just never know :acute: Mike (ps)again, Although this Is a true story Im having some fun here so dont take It to seriously.

Guys, I think we are talking about two different subjects while all agreeing on one very important point....No one wants to wear a "cheap" rep.

The intent of this thread was not a Quartz vs Mechanical debate because I think we ALL agree that there is really no debate, part of your point, Maxman....

The intent of this thread was to find good quality quartz reps, not the el-cheapo versions. The intent was to find watches that are in design, weight, feel, general overall replication similar to the gen version. The primary difference being, it simply had the practicality and consistency of the quartz movement. For some models, like the Tag, Omega, Breitling's, that have gen's with quartz movements, this is not a big deal, the "tick" is not going to make you look silly because there is a gen of that same watch / movement. It gets tougher when we look at Brands that dont make a quartz version.

I think HackR "gets it" and really sums up what I was trying to suggest. That there are some models like the HBB, ROO and Ebel that might be fun to try out prior to buying the 7750 to see if you like it. You want one that is going to exhibit the same/similar weight and overall feel of the 7750 without dropping the $ until you know you are going to like it. Sure, you could buy the cheaper asian movement to achieve the same purpose, but we all know that is luck of the draw sometimes on what you get.....The quartz is a much "safer" bet in that they are pretty consistent, at least from the movement quality POV. Now, you get to try out the watch's "feel" w/o as much worry about buying an el cheapo automatic movement that is going to crap out the 10th time you pull out the crown to set the time.

I would also mention that these quartz models are not going to be the only watch in your watchbox, I'm sure you have a dress watch, sport watch, gen models as well. You wouldnt wear that same $7000 Panerai to go skiing or camping or on a sweaty 50k bike ride? At the same time, I dont think anyone would wear a HBB quartz version out to a function that it is going to make me look like they didnt know that it was a fake??? Hell, If I'm going to wear that watch out, I'm telling people it's a fake and a damn good fake at that......:thumbsupsmileyanim:

But honestly, tell me if I wore that same HBB quartz to a Carolina Panthers game, that even 5% of the people I saw, would know what a Hublot Big Bang was, anyway??? As a PSL owner for the past 15 years, I can tell you that 5% is generous....ha!

I agree but some subjects walk a fine line, maybe I crossed that line. One thing we can all agree on Is, everyones opinion is valid, as long as It's presented In a respectful manor. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I agree but some subjects walk a fine line, maybe I crossed that line. One thing we can all agree on Is, everyones opinion is valid, as long as It's presented In a respectful manor. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So true, Maxman....I loved your story about the wedding....That was a big fear of mine too initially and kinda what lead me to these forums (to find the answer to the obligatory "Who has the best sub" question) and also what has lead to, and is turning into a ridiculous out-of-control buying frenzy....:Jumpy: I love this whole rep scene and never realized that this existed. I guess my only intent for starting this thread was that a person may have different watches for different purposes and/or occasions. While I would never wear a quartz Rolex...period.....:shock: much less to a wedding or other formal event, I would wear a quartz watch to work out or some other sporting activity. I would also purchase one as a starter or a "trial" version of a watch I wanted to see how it looks/feels before plunking down more $$$ on the auto version. As my collection grows, its also nice to have a couple quartz to make sure you always have the correct time to be able to set your hand-wind or autos that you dont wear daily.

Thanks for sharing your story and your viewpoint. I hope I didnt seem like I was knocking on you, just trying to present a differing viewpoint.

Great to see another North Carolinian on the forums....I spent 5 years and Charlotte and loved it there. Now in the Triad area but never miss a Panther game in the fall and am at Lake Norman a lot in the summer, which has lead to my other obsession on these boards, how to "waterproof" your watches to be able to casually swim in them....:o

:victory:

-Murph'

AN SMP. You pick up the Gen used for around $600.

Wow! Consider that done....Where?

Even though this is a fantasy model Tag, it is a great looking watch. Has a high quality feel.

collection053.jpg

Way cool quartz.....It has really grown on me. Probably in the black face, but this is on my short list for sure.

Way cool quartz.....It has really grown on me. Probably in the black face, but this is on my short list for sure.

Starting to narrow things down a little....LOL Well, not so much....

longines.jpgspeed40th.jpgchronomatevo.jpg

oriscarloscoste.jpgtag_aqua300_chrono.jpgCapture.JPG

omega_chrono.JPGbreit_heritage.JPGrailmasterquartzchrono.jpg

I just realized that they are all black face and all chrono? That wasn't intentional, in fact, I love white face dials.....not sure how that happened???

Anyone have any experience with any of these to know if the quality is a similar "feel" to the higher end autos? and if any would be tougher to make "water resistant" or is that just not a viable option in a chrono?

So true, Maxman....I loved your story about the wedding....That was a big fear of mine too initially and kinda what lead me to these forums (to find the answer to the obligatory "Who has the best sub" question) and also what has lead to, and is turning into a ridiculous out-of-control buying frenzy....:Jumpy: I love this whole rep scene and never realized that this existed. I guess my only intent for starting this thread was that a person may have different watches for different purposes and/or occasions. While I would never wear a quartz Rolex...period.....:shock: much less to a wedding or other formal event, I would wear a quartz watch to work out or some other sporting activity. I would also purchase one as a starter or a "trial" version of a watch I wanted to see how it looks/feels before plunking down more $$$ on the auto version. As my collection grows, its also nice to have a couple quartz to make sure you always have the correct time to be able to set your hand-wind or autos that you dont wear daily.

Thanks for sharing your story and your viewpoint. I hope I didnt seem like I was knocking on you, just trying to present a differing viewpoint.

Great to see another North Carolinian on the forums....I spent 5 years and Charlotte and loved it there. Now in the Triad area but never miss a Panther game in the fall and am at Lake Norman a lot in the summer, which has lead to my other obsession on these boards, how to "waterproof" your watches to be able to casually swim in them....:o

:victory:

-Murph'

Wow! Consider that done....Where?

Where you say??? Forums such as watchuseek and others. I have seen autos for $950.