When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD Bezel Insert Mod - How did I do?

WatchnRoll

I received a replacement bezel insert today and did the install....First I removed the old bezel insert with the wrong 10 spacing on the insert. I removed the pearl from the insert.

Here it is before:

photo-16-1.jpg

Then I took the new insert and sanded the bottom of the insert as best I could. That thing is thick and hard! I removed a little bit but the it was very hard to remove a lot. I then glued in the pearl and made sure it was stuck on there.

Then I used some tiny drops of Gorilla glue and placed on the insert....

A few problems I ran into...WHen I pressed in the insert a little of the glue came up on the side and on the top of the insert...DOH! :wounded1: But I managed to quickly get it off and used a little nail polish remover to get the rest off...

When it all dried up some of the glue was on the edge of the insert and the bezel and there is a tiny tiny gap on one side of the insert than on the other side...

So, once it was really dry I used a razor blade and scraped off the glue from the edges. Most of it came off and it looks good.

It was not a perfect job. 1. From sanding some of the granules made some tiny scratches on the top of the insert...fine little scratches that probably only I see it...but I am an insane perfectionist. 2. The insert is not as sanded as I wanted it but it was more work than I have time for...so I did the best that I could live with.

Well...here it is...what do you think???

photo-17-1.jpg

photo-18-1.jpg

photo-19.jpg

Looks really good. I'm thinking that it is probably best to put masking tape on the bezel replacement (with the "correct 10") before sanding it.

As far as the Gorilla Glue, it is good to also know that the glue tends to expand and thus, it is important to put far less than you think is actually necessary because it will expand and spread beyond the intended area. Besides, Gorilla Glue is really strong and does not require a large amount. I'm thinking of actually using the two part compound that "Locktite" sells for glueing metals.

Two questions: 1) So, am I to understand that the bezel pearl on the original - incorrect bezel - is superior to that of the "correct 10" bezel?

2) What technique did you use to remove the incorrect bezel?

Thanks for your tutorial!!! I think you are actually the first to post one on this particular mode with this specific watch.

Check this out:

Gioarmani wrote this a while back on how to remove the bezel insert. More complicated that I originally thought, since the bezel doesn't have a lot of torsional strength and could snap easily if you try to pry it off.....

Ouch! Well, there's something else to consider. Part of me has me thinking that it is best to leave this alone until the moment I actually damage the bezel or something like that. I'll keep the "correct 10" bezel aside, just in case such a thing happens. My watch looks way too good for me to screw it up. On the other hand, I can always sell mine and get one with the mod already in place. Thing is, my clone movement is working extremely well and I'm happy with that as well.

Looks really good. I'm thinking that it is probably best to put masking tape on the bezel replacement (with the "correct 10") before sanding it.

As far as the Gorilla Glue, it is good to also know that the glue tends to expand and thus, it is important to put far less than you think is actually necessary because it will expand and spread beyond the intended area. Besides, Gorilla Glue is really strong and does not require a large amount. I'm thinking of actually using the two part compound that "Locktite" sells for glueing metals.

Two questions: 1) So, am I to understand that the bezel pearl on the original - incorrect bezel - is superior to that of the "correct 10" bezel?

2) What technique did you use to remove the incorrect bezel?

Thanks for your tutorial!!! I think you are actually the first to post one on this particular mode with this specific watch.

Look through this thread for all the instructions to mod the insert>Corrected DSSD insert..

fyi, the best way I have found to remove the insert is by taking off the pearl first (I used my thumbnail) and then sticking a toothpick into the hole and lifting the insert off the bezel, it is held down by 3m tape... this is how I explained to WnR to remove his insert.. seems to work well enough..

I would not however use any strong epoxy to attach the correct insert, you have practically have no window of opportunity to adjust the insert, and unless you are "perfect" in you first application.. fogetaboutit.. it will not be exactly centered...

I use "Elmer's rubber cement" strong enough to hold the insert in place and can be removed easily.. I never had a problem with the insert on any of my bezels falling out with this glue.the insert is not totally flush with the bezel so you will need to adjust it so it is even.. epoxy does not give you this time, and if you ever want to remove the insert using epoxy.. good luck :lol:

to attach the pearl .. punch the corrected insert pearl out from the back of the insert.. I just used a thick pin.. then lay the ultimate insert upside down on a felt towel.. and place your insert on top of the pear... son't attempt to place it on from the top.. it could bounce out.. and then .. good luck in trying to find it... for the pearl.. this is when you use epoxy from the back of the insert.. just to bond the edges of the pearl with the back of the insert.. do not apply glue on the pearl before you stick it on.. you will leave signs of the glue on the insert..

AC/Lani

Look through this thread for all the instructions to mod the insert>Corrected DSSD insert..

fyi, the best way I have found to remove the insert is by taking off the pearl first (I used my thumbnail) and then sticking a toothpick into the hole and lifting the insert off the bezel, it is held down by 3m tape... this is how I explained to WnR to remove his insert.. seems to work well enough..

I would not however use any strong epoxy to attach the correct insert, you have practically have no window of opportunity to adjust the insert, and unless you are "perfect" in you first application.. fogetaboutit.. it will not be exactly centered...

I use "Elmer's rubber cement" strong enough to hold the insert in place and can be removed easily.. I never had a problem with the insert on any of my bezels falling out with this glue.the insert is not totally flush with the bezel so you will need to adjust it so it is even.. epoxy does not give you this time, and if you ever want to remove the insert using epoxy.. good luck :lol:

to attach the pearl .. punch the corrected insert pearl out from the back of the insert.. I just used a thick pin.. then lay the ultimate insert upside down on a felt towel.. and place your insert on top of the pear... son't attempt to place it on from the top.. it could bounce out.. and then .. good luck in trying to find it... for the pearl.. this is when you use epoxy from the back of the insert.. just to bond the edges of the pearl with the back of the insert.. do not apply glue on the pearl before you stick it on.. you will leave signs of the glue on the insert..

AC/Lani

thanks Lani. I did exactly as you said about removing the pearl first and then I used a blunt metal poker to pop the other insert out. I glued the pearl exactly as you said as well and it worked awesome.

The glue is where I deviated and in a way I regret it because the insert is not 100% even on all sides of the bezel itself...but I think it's a bit minor...

I removed all the excess glue and you can't tell by looking at the watch...

My biggest issue with it was sanding it down enough so the bezel is a little higher than the insert....I didn't sand it enough and the insert and metal bezel are even...

Looking at my pictures...do you guys think I screwed it or am I being overly picky and it's fine?

I'm now thinking of just buying another one with the correct insert mod already done...

I'm clearly sick...:). Help my OCD here guys...am I being too picky and the watch looks good to you?

Order another insert to settle you mind.. in the mean time you have a corrected 10 insert and the world is all good..

that's why I recommend the rubber cement.. it doesn't set quickly and gives you a lot of time to adjust and play with the insert.. and if you need to it can be removed easily and done again.. plus the epoxy could possibly run down into the bezel and freeze the clicks..you got lucky this time it didn't.. instead of ordering another "modded watch" the insert is the way to go..

Patience is the "KEY".. sand a little.. "walk away" from it ..and come back to it again in your spare time.. until it's all good.. I still have more sanding to do on mine.. but I leave it until I'm in the "mood".. but if you try and get it done all at once it gets frustrating.. cause that insert does not sand down as easily as you think, or would like it too... and using the rubber cement gives you the opportunity to always come back to it without it being somewhat permanent on the bezel..

And really it's only a fraction of a mm .. but Patience........

the more you look at it the worse it gets.. so just know that it's a "temporary" insert.. good for now..

Order another insert to settle you mind.. in the mean time you have a corrected 10 insert and the world is all good..

that's why I recommend the rubber cement.. it doesn't set quickly and gives you a lot of time to adjust and play with the insert.. and if you need to it can be removed easily and done again.. plus the epoxy could possibly run down into the bezel and freeze the clicks..you got lucky this time it didn't.. instead of ordering another "modded watch" the insert is the way to go..

Patience is the "KEY".. sand a little.. "walk away" from it ..and come back to it again in your spare time.. until it's all good.. I still have more sanding to do on mine.. but I leave it until I'm in the "mood".. but if you try and get it done all at once it gets frustrating.. cause that insert does not sand down as easily as you think, or would like it too... and using the rubber cement gives you the opportunity to always come back to it without it being somewhat permanent on the bezel..

And really it's only a fraction of a mm .. but Patience........

the more you look at it the worse it gets.. so just know that it's a "temporary" insert.. good for now..

awesome advice....lani. Since I used gorilla glue I hope I can pop the insert out to put in a new one...might be a bit of work now to clean it up.... I wil pop this one out when I get another insert and your advice on glue and sanding is perfect....patience and use rubber cement to be able to re-do it if needed. I am ordering another insert tonight.

For now, it looks good. Until I get the new one...life is good....

Patience is the "KEY"

Or you use something like this. I bought a used one for 45 EUR on ebay (new it's around 70 EUR - good investment - answers all your bench scale sanding needs) and the whole sanding took me about 15 minutes (btw: I used 2 taped pliers to hold the insert - sand a bit, turn clockwise, sand... just as you'd do it manually).

AC/Lani

Thanks, brother! You're a wealth of knowledge. This is quickly becoming the definitive thread on executing this particular modification. Thanks to all whom have contributed.

Looks good. On the removeal of the insert, has anybody found it useful to heat it up first with a hairdryer or something to soften the glue so you don't damage the insert on removal?

there is no damage to the insert if you remove the pearl first.. the 3M tape does not have epoxy like properties... you could heat it with a hair dryer, but I haven't found the need to.. fyi

there is no damage to the insert if you remove the pearl first.. the 3M tape does not have epoxy like properties... you could heat it with a hair dryer, but I haven't found the need to.. fyi

I actually did snap the old insert right at the hole where the pearl was...I wasn't careful removing it because I knew it was going in the trash but it wasn't just an easy pull on mine...I had to use some force.

Thanks all for the comments on my watch...it's amazing how one can fixate on something when it isn't 100% perfect....I think most people would say it looks great it's just that I know the edge on one side has a bigger gap that the other side of the bezel....it's driving me crazy even if it is less than a mm.

My only regret is not using the elmers glue insead of going with gorilla glue...I think I will have problems removing the insert if I want to do the job again. It will probably snap off and I'll need to do some scraping to get it off...

I'm going to post new pictures using a better camera to see if you guys think I should re-do it or if I'm crazy. :)

just as an fyi WnR.. do not attempt to use any acetone or thinner to loosen the epoxy "if" you decide to remove it.. the epoxy will seep down into the bezel and freeze the clicks.. so if you decide to do the insert over you may have to sacrifice the insert when removing it..

the peace of mind in knowing you can correct is gtg for now me thinks.. :thumbsupsmileyanim: