When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 3714 (Portu Chrono) Registry

ubiquitous

Similar to the 3717 Roll Call, I thought it would be fun to get all the Portu owners together in one spot.

I thought it also might be beneficial to capture some data here as well, mostly pertaining to the movement contained inside your watch, any modifications performed for longevity (if using the A7750), and how long you've owned said watch(es). I know there are a few of us out there that own these beauties; please post them if you have them.

Cheers!

//ubi

IWC 3714-38 ( i have not open the case back to verify the movement) from Concepta. I am wearing it right now at work. I have not had a chance to take any picture. I am still searching for the perfect strap.

• Gen movement
  • Gen hands
  • double AR
  • Rep case
  • Rep Dial.

Definitely a grail watch, but going to have to spring for a gen on this one. Perhaps the next 'milestone' birthday.

Unless I get distracted by the notion of a boat...or a mistress :g:

Trust me the GEN is cheaper than the mistress in the long run!

One gen ss white w/gold and one concepta franken rose gold case black dial with gold nums. waiting for time to take pics.

Which strap do you recommend for the IWC 3714-01 (white dial gold numerals)?

I heard Tony (avitt) saying the brown looks best and i also agree but when i was searching for one, the prices differ significantly and i am not sure how well do they compare.

For now the options are:

1. TWB chocolate 80

I have one too ...

It works at the moment and looks great. Mine has been graphite treated, serviced, AR treated and given an alligator strap. So I hope it will continue to work for some time.

010.jpg

In these threads the warning about the standard reps must be repeated. The reps are of an exceedingly poor quality and should only be sold to people prepared to spend considerable amounts of money sorting their watches (or be prepared to use them as paper weights...)

Personally I do not use mine much as I expect it to crash on me any minute.

can anybody comment in the accuracy of the color of the white dial with gold numerals 3714-01?

I have seen already at least 2 versions, one with yellowish gold hands and numerals and one with rose/copper gold hands and numerals. I saw that the blue hands also change in these 2 versions, the first has more dark blue hands. The dials also differ in color, having the first one more of a yellow tone and the second one somehow more white/silvery, still not really white.

Could this reflect the change this watch had in 2006? I know at least that pos-2006 the crown is different (probus scafusia instead of the fish symbol) and it has double AR (unlike pre-2006 which doesn't have it). I also heard somewhere that the numerals are different in the two versions, but not sure what is the difference never saw pictures of the 2 versions compared. (maybe something like the way the numerals are added to the dial? or some color difference?)

My questions are how does the 3714-01 dial compared to the gen in terms of color accuracy, and which of these versions is closer to the gen... from the pictures i saw it seems that the gen as a much whiter dial but that could also be due to the angle and light when the picture was taken.

thanks

Hugo

post-26883-126817620056_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hugo,

now I can. This week I went to an AD because I want to purchase the gen 3714 with blue hands. As I own the rep portu with the rose gold hands and numbers, I also wanted to take a look at the gen. The gen has really yellowish gold hands and numbers instead of our rose gold ones.

But then: an older man came in and wanted to have his watch serviced. As he stands beside me, I was able to take a look at his watch, and surprisingly it was a 3714 white dial rose gold hands and numbs. I asked him very polite, If I can take a closer look for comparison btween the two models. His one ws exactly the same rose gold and numbers, as all our 3714 here. Also the crown has a fish, instead the new one "probus scafusia". The AD told us, because I asked, that the color of the hands and numbers, also the size and height of the numbers was slightly changed between 2001 and 2003 without any infos to ADs or customers. The pictures in the IWC catalogues were shot in 2002.

All in all I can say, that the whitedial rose golds are all models pre 09/2003 and very accurate. Even the white dial/blue and the all black reps are such a high quality ( excep the shitty movement), that if ARed you can hardly tell the difference between gen and rep.

The dials are replicated in such incredible high quality, that I must think twice if to go for a gen or a concepta franken. But because of a good sales commission, I guess I will go for the gen ;-)

No worries about color and fish: this is the old combi and also accurate.

Cheers, J