When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's The One Watch That You Swore

vlydog

Cool subject, vlydog.

I came to TRC (and almost immediately after to RWG, because TRC closed down) in search of the older IWC pilot chronograph. I detested almost everything sporty, liked only dress watches like VC, classic PP etc.

While surfing the forum I suddenly realised I liked the diver classics by Rolex. I had thought I'd never wear a Rollie, downright hated the design. Two month afterwards I had my first Sea-Dweller ordered at Eurotimez'. Today the Sub from WM9 is my daily beater, waiting for the WM9 SD and like to sport the GMT2c regularly. Pepsi and Coke, feel you coming. :lol:

The same thing happened with the PAMs. Used to think them an ugly bunch, oversized and more like a fish bowl than a time measuring instrument. While staring at them for hours on the forum, they misteriously started to grow on me. Today I love the design, although I still feel they pretty much resemble each other (fire away, Paneristi).

What's most amazing is my new love for the 42mm pumpkin. I got a cheap one from Narikaa and do not plan to get a better one in near future, but I wear this one quite often. Had you told me I would wear an orange (!!) watch two years ago you would have gotten a blank stare. :animal_rooster:

Today I know I will never ever get one of those fat APs, neither like the Hublot tanks etc. But who's to say if that won't change in time? ;)

Val.

I'd have to go with APs. I thought they were obnoxious things when I first entered this world, and now I think they're pretty great. But I think this is only because my need for a simple, elegant piece is found in other pieces, like an IWC. I also thought the Zenith Defy was a hunk of crap, but now I think they're fantastic and nuanced.

Probably PAM's and Subs for me. Always thought the PAM's just all looked the same, same dials different numbers! Oddly enough, since losing my sight, I have come to really like them and own several. Still not massive on the Subs, certainly not to the extremes that some guys on here go for them, but I do own a nice one and I kinda like it.

MMA, I love the sound of the Cortez, just wish I had the funds to get one!! I'm getting really into 'square' cased watches right now, I think it's a feel thing, there is more to feel on them, edges, angles etc. I think that's why I have taken to the PAM's as well, it's all about the feel for me now, the crown gaurd is kinda cool and the case backs always have me feeling around for ages!

Good thread B!!

Sixx :bones:

MMA, I love the sound of the Cortez, just wish I had the funds to get one!! I'm getting really into 'square' cased watches right now, I think it's a feel thing, there is more to feel on them, edges, angles etc.

Sixx :bones:

you won't be disappointed. Pretty sure this one is considered a "super-rep". The bracelet in kinda long. I have 7.5 in wrist and with all removable links it's still a bit loose on cold days. Gotta wear it like a pimp!

+me too on the whole panerai thing. When I first hopped on the boards, I thought they were the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. I couldn't understand the fascination with them. The more I looked at them, the more they grew on me. I fought it as long as i could, then finally broke down and got a 111. Then I started collecting straps. And so it began...

WR

PAMs first... Thought they looked stupid, but now I have 5 and 2 incoming.

PP next... Thought square watches were strange, now I have both the MBW aquanaut and nautilus.

and then B&R... 01-92s supposed to be too big and square, now I have 2.

upcoming... Thought AP ROOs were over-hyped, now considering the white rubber clad and the black themes.

Ironically, I started this hobby looking for a Tag Carrera and I hardly ever look at it now. (or any other Tag, for that matter)

I suppose my confession is all about Rolex. I thought they were cliche and played out .. a poser watch.

Then I read the Gioarmani review of the Eurotimez DSSDv5 .. and .. it was soooo beautiful .. next thing I know, I have one and it's at Ziggy's place being lumed and serviced.

+me too on the whole panerai thing. When I first hopped on the boards, I thought they were the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. I couldn't understand the fascination with them. The more I looked at them, the more they grew on me. I fought it as long as i could, then finally broke down and got a 111. Then I started collecting straps. And so it began...

WR

+2

Strange as this might sound, I bought a strap that I just loved. It has sat by my bedside for a few months now, until I finally decided to buy the Panerai 111 to put it on. I hated them before coming to RWG. But seeing all those beautiful straps that you guys have made me spend hours looking at them. I can't wait to get this one. Haven't been that excited about a new arrival for... well... a couple of months.

love the thread too. Seems like this is a subi/pam breeding ground :whistling:

mg

For me it was big watches in general, thought that they looked ridiculous. Which is why I now have a IWC FA Jones and Railmaster XXL and Breitling for Bentley and Fiddy etc etc. (except when my petite 4'11" daughter borrows them as fashion statements - routinely)

JW

never wanted a rolex far to obvious a fake , but having seen the noob review I had to try one at that price . wow, fantastic design classic love it.

pams loved the look the moment a clapped eyes on one , only problem was the size untill I found a 40mm hmm...........v nice

Panerai. When I first came to the boards I swore they were ugly.

Then I tried one and the rest, as they say....is history laugh.gif

+1...

i came here for Breitling...and just didn't get the design concept of PAMs...well - i decided why not...got a destro PAM 239 because it was different - as i thought all PAMs were - so why not get a different different watch...never bonded with it, and passed it on to the Toadmonster...bought vlydog's 219 and I was hooked...now owning 8 PAMs...or so... :whistling:

nice thread, B!...funny how you factor into my PAM enlightenment... :drinks:

R-