When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

factory pvd case - refinishing...

hackR

well - here goes...the final product after sanding lightly... :)

it still has a slight sheen - which is comparable now to what a brushed ss PAM would have...and the sanding does tone down the bronze tint, making it look a little more pewter in color...the edges can get worn down to the base metal so you have to take it slow and be careful as you sand...but this is the look i was hoping for...

i'll probably tinker with it a little more...but wanted to get some pix up before i lose the outdoor light... 8)

all in all, it's definitely much better than the painted look of the rep pvd... :good:

getatpvddistressed1.jpg

getatpvddistressed2.jpg

getatpvddistressed3.jpg

getatpvddistressed4.jpg

getatpvddistressed5.jpg

:

thanks, S!...i took a look at the CG pin - but if i flatten it, i'll strip off the pvd coating - and don't want a shiny pin...perhaps someone has a spare pvd pin?!... :whistling:

R-

hackR: A non-PVD pin is ok, especially for PreVs. You can always do the linseed oil treatment to restore the PVD finish after you flatten the pin (dip flattened CG pin in linseed oil, then put it over a candle to blacken the linseed oil to a PVD-like finish, someone here has a tutorial on this).

@mir36 -> Wow!...thanks...terrific idea...i reallllly appreciate your advice - and as you can see, my piece came out really unique and cool...

to all - this is a pretty easy process to do...i'm new to this modding thing, and look how mine came out...there's a really nice dull sheen now - that i would say is similar to a brushed ss sheen...the color is a nice blend of gun metal, bronze, and pewter...that's the best way to describe it...really creates a nice looking piece that definitely is not black...

my the price of a jacksontse, getat or other dealer pvd case, i'd highly recommend this mod...

R-

By the way, from the original post, has anyone tried dragging a case behind their car, or even bicycle (giving more control), to distress it? :black_eye:

If yes, I definitely want to see pics :D

Yeah I tried it and ended up with this

So I rubbed it with a CC cloth and got this

• 1 month later...