When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG is still the original RWG ?

lanikai

Recently I come across post that "appear" to be stating that RWG is a "copy" of RWG1... I was always under the understanding that we are and always have been the only RWG with the same Admin from the days of Thomas starting a web site for replica collecting.. and that the domain change was only a bump in the road and one domain was sold..

Aren't we still the "Original" RWG ?? how can we be a secondary copy if the original member that started this whole replica collecting forums still be out Admin ??

Not meaning to step on any feet, but the statement of RWG"1" and "this" RWG needs to be understood.. least members think that we are not the original..

If I sell a watch or car I don't "own" it anymore.. but I was the "original owner".. no ???? :whistling:

I just think for all that Admin has done for this hobby this needs to be cleared up ..

AC/Lani

The old RWG was with our current and "only" Admin so how could we technically come after :)

No, the old RWG was run by a guy called Blade. I believe 'your' admin was running TRC at the time.

This board (rwgforum.com/rwg.cc) came after - and was set up in part due to the fact that Blade largely walked away from the original RWG (long story, but there was a lot of drama). Because there was no admin and none of the mods had full admin access to the board, life was made very difficult for the remaining board staff and they made (imho the correct) decision to start again here. You are not a copy - you were new board, an attempt to provide a home for a community in a place that could be managed more efficiently than a post-Blade RWG1. However, whilst many of the original RWG members and staff moved here (along with most of TRC), some remained behind (this board was generally known as RWGJr or RWG2 by those that remained at RWG1).

Then, in 2008, RWG1 had some major database problems and went offline. Blade by now was completely AWOL so after several failed attempts to contact him, Trailboss and I decided to pick up what we could salvage and moved it to a new server and address (replica-watch-guide.net) along with most of the remaining active members. Although we lost all the old posts, we basically carried on as before. We have recently recovered our original domain name, so are now back to our original address: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com

We are BOTH RWG. Each in our own way :)

Oh, and by the way, I understand that today is RWG's (YOUR RWG) birthday, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :D

Greg has it right. The original RWG founded by Blade blew up when he disappeared. The stories ranged from running away with people's money from the RWG watch and buying a new car to being drafted into the Serbian Army. The remaining admin personnel made a valiant effort to keep it going but ultimately no one had access to the domain/servers except Blade. So it died. During all this Thomas (the Admin here) had another site TRC. When RWG crashed and burned Thomas took all of us lost souls on board and actually worked with some of the original folks to create this forum. The Dark Side came next (now RWI) and then Geeks. IMHO it is thanks to Thomas that the 10,000 members of the original RWG had someplace to go and re-congregate. And by the way it was not a money maker. A number of the older folks stepped up at various times to help fund it. Today we have a number of wonderful forums but I will always remember that it was Thomas who stepped up and took us in in the first place and subsequently sponsored the creation of this forum. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Greg has it right. The original RWG founded by Blade blew up when he disappeared. The stories ranged from running away with people's money from the RWG watch and buying a new car to being drafted into the Serbian Army. The remaining admin personnel made a valiant effort to keep it going but ultimately no one had access to the domain/servers except Blade. So it died. During all this Thomas (the Admin here) had another site TRC. When RWG crashed and burned Thomas took all of us lost souls on board and actually worked with some of the original folks to create this forum. The Dark Side came next (now RWI) and then Geeks. IMHO it is thanks to Thomas that the 10,000 members of the original RWG had someplace to go and re-congregate. And by the way it was not a money maker. A number of the older folks stepped up at various times to help fund it. Today we have a number of wonderful forums but I will always remember that it was Thomas who stepped up and took us in in the first place and subsequently sponsored the creation of this forum. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Spot on, kruzer.

As the admin of the 'other' RWG, I know some people will see us as competitors, but I really don't look at it that way - we each serve our purpose (we're not a money maker either, as members will know). All our staff are also members here and many of your staff are members at our place. Each of the forums has its own flavour so appeal to a slightly different group of people, but the fact remains that all the boards have similar aims and we all work pretty closely together - sharing info on problems/troublemakers and generally helping each other out where we can - RWI and RWG1 in particular work very closely together.

During the brief period when RWG1 was down and we were in the process of 'moving house', you guys made us welcome here, for which we will always be grateful.

Those were some wild and wooly days, TRC was foundering. Some days there would only be a handful of posts. Although it was a great forum, like all good things sometimes they run their course. At the same time, over at the

albeit in NAME only dirol.gif

A little more than in name only. It is still the same place it was before the collapse, in name and in spirit. BTW, I was under the impression that this was "Replica Watch Group" to give it it's full title. Here is the origenal banner:

13030-3952.jpg

This board was actualy started before the old board fell over, RWG1 in it's origenal form was still going when this board was formed and continued to exist in it's origenal form for quite a while. Whilst "T" was indeed an admin at RWG (and indeed started TRC) the board (RWG) was started by Blade and considering how he turned out I would hate "T", who is a nice guy, to be confused with Blade.

Here is a quote from THIS thread by Admin in reference to the above:

In 2004, a new young guy pretty much copied the layout from TRC and started what we all now know as RWG1. This was a very successful board. The admin was a very clever with getting tons of hits from the search engines. A couple of years after it started, it had outgrown TRC. Unfortunately things did not go very well, as many of you know. Plans were made for a special RWG watch and many members ordered it. Unfortunately, very few ever saw their watch or money and after a while, the admin, who had handled the payments, went missing also. To make a long story short; it is limited how long a forum can run without anybody at the helm. A team, made up by most of the moderators, reached out to me, asking for guidance and help in this situation and out of our talks came the agreement that I would be the admin of a new board that we would run together. And that's the place you are visiting now: rwg.cc wink.gif

Anyway, enough of this. All the fora have a place, every last one makes a valuable contribution to the hobby, this one well and truly included.

Oh yes, happy birthday guys. I did a rather nice post wishing you guys many happy returns but it vanished a few minutes after I posted it. No idea why. Could someone have a look and see what happened? Did I get the date wrong?

Col.

Actually Col we timed it very close before moving, in the end we did so because we had no choice.

What was left was an empty shell, maybe half a dozen guys posting and they all knew full well it was about to crash and burn.

If you were to look through our knowledge base you will see the amount of effort we put into trying to save large parts of our home.

It may seem I am quite passionate about this and I am, I was the member who approached our Admin about setting this board up and I can assure you it was to be a new home for a site that was about to die.

This is exactly what you have done, for the second time.

BTW we changed the last word on our name when Blade decided to keep the old one running.

BTW 2 that quote you printed was by TTK, just in case you were not aware.

Ken

Some old soap opera stuff (RWG1 and Blade-related)

http://www.replicacollector.com/members/index.php?showtopic=15062

:D

What memories this brings me back :cry2:

Unforgettable , ... that what's you are , ....unforgettable :whistling:

Good old days. So much fun then.

BTW: Would be possible to rescue from the old RWG and repost here the "Thin Red Line" post ??? :rofl:

TTK? Oke, but it is out of a quote by "T" in his interview thread and is not in quotation marks or credited to anyone. See the link above the quote.

Col.

I stand corrected, I didn't read it through and basically accredited on the opening lines.

Ken

I understand people are passionate about this. But a lot of it is semantics. In the end it all boils down to content. You can reconstitute domains and copy designs. But if the content is not there then it is not the original board, even if the same person did it. The database for RWG is gone. So RWG is gone. That is why it is called 'RWG Redeux'. In that same line of thought TRC is not gone because the content is still there. As far as the who did what, first and where why should it matter? We're supposedly all one community that is not engaged in competion with one another right? :victory:

BTW: Would be possible to rescue from the old RWG and repost here the "Thin Red Line" post ??? :rofl:

Mate, we would love to. Numerous aproches have been made by the admins of both RWG1 and RWG2 to recover the data base from blade, all to no avail. Since the last anyone heard of Blade was him being draged off in chains to complete his millitery service for whatever easten block country he hailed from combined with the fact of that service being in the former Yugoslavia where the life expextency for a conscript was five weeks chances are he is now dead. The keys to the vault would have died with him.

Col.

Wow, I didn't realize asking a question about a watch would generate so much excitement! I have not been active on the board in quite some time and did not realize how much had changed and been forgotten. It is good to see so many of the old names I remember still going strong. This really has grown into a great wealth of knowlege and a fun place to hang out!

Thanks for all your hard work! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Gpuck