When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I liked the DSSD Rep so much...I bought a gen!

WatchnRoll

You may have seen some of my other posts with my DSSD rep that I modded with the correct 10 insert. Even after the mod I just couldnt live with the slight imperfections.

So, since I own a Gen Sea Dweller I decided I was going to sell it and pay the difference and that is exactly what I did!

Here is my brand spanking new V DSSD.

I took off the stickers and got it sized this afternoon as soon as it arrived at my house.

The AD also sent me some Rolex goodies last week because...well because he's really cool.

I received a Rolex hat, Rolex pocket knife and Rolex gloves. How cool is that?

Here's the watch!!!! I love this beast! I still own my Sea Dweller but that is being sold next week. The DSSD rep is very close but some really big differences made me want the gen so badly...the maxi dial is just wrong on the rep...the pearl is just not right no matter which version is received and of course the bezel insert mod...I just didn't like how it looked no matter how good it looked...I could always see the glue or something that nobody else would ever notice but I am a nut! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

photo-20.jpg

photo-21.jpg

photo-22-1.jpg

Congrats man! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Once again it got proven: Reps are a gateway drug to gens and this kind of forum can actually be beneficial for the luxury watch brands.

PS: Do you still have the rep? Nothing beats a side-by-side comparison (wink wink).

Congrats man! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Once again it got proven: Reps are a gateway drug to gens and this kind of forum can actually be beneficial for the luxury watch brands.

PS: Do you still have the rep? Nothing beats a side-by-side comparison (wink wink).

Thank you and you are 100% right. The Rep did in fact lead to me buying the real one.

Unfortunately I sold the Rep a few weeks ago to a forum member. No side by sides unfortunately for me.

I mentioned some of the key differences but others exist too...of course the rehaut engraving is off and the serial number font is different than the gen...also the steel is good on the rep but just doesn't come close to the quality of the gen. The finish on the gen is so smooth and has distinct lines on it from the polishing...the rep just doesn't come close on the fit and finish of the steel. It's good for $350...but not in the same league. Sorry to say..and I am not knocking anyone's rep...it's a great rep.

Another difference is the engraved rolex on the clasp when opened...on the gen it has this brushed rough feeling to it...the rep wasn't like that at all.

The rep also doesn't have the shock absorber type feel to the bezel when you push down on it...the gen feels like a shock absorber (spring like feel) is under the bezel and helps it take a little impact if that happens...

Plus the "original gas escape valve" engraving is not correct on the rep.

It's really the finer details that are missing on the rep. Don't get me wrong...on the wrist most won't know a difference but for a guy like me...it makes a world of difference.

I love this watch! It's not leaving my wrist for a while...my rep GMT IIC, Breitling Skyland and Breitling EVO will have to sit for a while...I am enjoying this watch too much to take it off now!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

see a rep IS the shareware version of the gen, if you hadnt bought the rep, Rolex wouldnt be $10K richer now. it's a giant conspiracy I tell you.

Interesting..........

What if the gen manufacturers are actually the owners of the rep factories. Pushing reps to generate gen sales.......could that be a possibility?????? :whistling::g:

Interesting..........

What if the gen manufacturers are actually the owners of the rep factories. Pushing reps to generate gen sales.......could that be a possibility?????? :whistling::g:

That would explain why there is never a perfect rep!!

Maybe we are on a big case right now ;-)

OHHH and btw: very nice watch, congrats!!

I've been thinking of doing that too! I bought a GEN 'D' Series SD about a year before they announced the DSSD. I wish I could've just waited another year! The thought of selling my SD and getting the DSSD has been lingering in my head for awhile. It just looks so damn good!

That is a really nice watch. It's the ultimate "tool" watch, without looking like you have an big hunk of stainless strapped to your wrist.

I second what By-Tor said, the reps are a gateway to genuine. If you are obsessed with perfection, and have the means to buy a genuine, you will never be satisfied with a rep.

Congratulations on a great watch

Yeah.. a serious gateway drug for me too. After 4 rep DSSDs each with their own 'issues' I'm putting $$s away for the real deal. I never ever thought I'd see myself considering $8-9k for a wristwatch, but I am going to own one of these soon.

Can't see myself dumping all my reps in the process though...just the DSSDs. :)

Jack

Congrats my friend!!! BUT: Dont give away your gen SD....it wil be your big mistake in the years to come!! It will be a litle bit dificult to find it again! Btw i have a gen SD also and i like it better! Enjoy your new "beast"

Hi there, thanks. I prefer the Deep Sea over the SD but it's all taste.

I just sold the SD and got a really good price for it. I'm happy but a bit sad I sold it. Oh well...I'll find another one day if I decide I want one.

For now...It's Deep Sea for me! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the premise of owning the reps leads to owning the gen. I went through 4 DSSD, 2 Euro Timez V5's (one I even sent to Vac for relume and HE valve mode). I finally own a V3 with the bezel of the V5 and the dial of a V5 (vac lumed). The crown guard on the V5 is too far out from the case.

Anyways to make a long story short, I sold my GEN panerai Pam 250 and used the proceeds to buy a Gen V serial Rolex Deep Sea!I got a awesome deal on 10 month old watch still under Rolex warranty (and additional 1 year Tourneau warrenty as well). It is amazing! However it was running 12 seconds fast dial up! So off to the Tourneau store here in California to ship to Rolex Dallas, for regulation. I just got the call it will be 5 weeks! I had to send a detailed letter (per Rolex) to specifically say "it is ok for you (Rolex service) to wear the watch to test it", and detail exactly what I wanted done.

As soon as it comes back, i will take pictures with my macro lens (canon T1i) of both the rep and the gen side by side. I agree with everything you said about the roughness of the inside clasp, where the engraving is (like a sand paper on the gen.

What surprised me the most however was the lume! After sending to Vac to make it very blue, I thought it was perfect! Except that on the gen the lume is not nearly as blue. It is actually way off! Not to say Vac did not do a great job, as he did! In a strange way I actually like the bluer lume on the rep than the gen. In any case I will take these shots as well.