When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage crowns

Nanuq

I have a couple of questions about old Rolex crowns. I'm betting Ubi or Freddy will know this off the tip of their tongues... anyone else feel free to chime in too!

First, can anyone tell me what tube/crown combo this is? It has the three Triplock dots, but no o-ring on the tube. (please keep reading for the next questions)

P9250073.JPG

Next, I'm thinking about making my 6536 as close to original as possible. It was made 4th quarter of 1958. It currently has a Twinlock crown with the dash beneath the coronet. In another thread it said this should have the Brevet (+) Twinlock crown.

Is this correct for a '58 6536? I'm thinking of the crown with the coronet and "plus" sign beneath it.

If anyone knows, what would the tube/crown numbers be for that, and would that crown necessarily screw down onto my existing tube?

Thanks lads! :drinks:

Technically, Brevet crowns go with Brevet signed (between the lugs) cases & standard Twinlocks (single line below the crown for ss) were fitted on the rest. The initial runs usually got Brevets & later runs got Twinlocks. But since only you will see between the lugs, either is fine. I used a Brevet for my 6536 (as well as my 6542 & gold Newman 6239).

Sadly, the engraving between the lugs has been lost over the last 15 years or so, and I wasn't smart enough to write it down back then when it was still visible. But I don't think it had BREVET engraved there.

Will that crown screw onto a standard twinlok tube?

I see a 5.3mm brevet crown on Ebay right now, supposedly for the 6536. It's a 26b crown. Sound right?? It looks like the 6mm is for other models?

I see a 5.3mm brevet crown on Ebay right now, supposedly for the 6536. It's a 26b crown. Sound right?? It looks like the 6mm is for other models?

This sounds like jewelerstools! That guy has absolutely no clue what he's talking about!

Looking thru 'Rolex Daytona, a legend is born', on p.156 there's a Rolex crown #26 which is actually the 701 crown and it is a triplock w/ the three dots below the crown. Tube is #211, a 701 tube. No. 25 was the 700 twinlock crown- no dots below the crown.

I agree w/ JAG that the crown and tube on your DRSD looks like the 702 assembly, but if the watch dates from the late 60's it could be the 701 assembly. I never realized that the 701 assembly was referred to a triplock also and has the three dots under the crown. I had thought it was a twinlock and that the 702 was the first triplock assembly. The 701 assembly was in use at least thru 1972.

JoJo had a Brevet crown posted for sale in the parts section recently. Think it was 6mm... He probably knows more about this stuff.

Hi Nanuq, I'm a little late responding here, as the other members have already answered most of your questions. I do however have a brevet crown I'm selling (pics are in the fs section). Contact me if you may be interested, we could talk about a fair price ;)

sorry to go a bit o/t and reply to an older post, but i'm thinking you guys will be able to make my decision for me off the top of your heads!

for a "bond sub" with an 8mm brevet crown, which should be used? "brevet" with a "+" underneath it, or "brevet" with a coronet above it?..

im a bit confused as to which one would be right (and yes i know there are a few bond-sub variants ;) )

hope you can help

ben