When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Its so hard buying your first watch..

cvstos

Hi Guys,

Hows that for a first post topic? ;) Its honest though.

Been reading here for a couple of weeks, and have come to the understanding that this is the cornucopia of watch discussion.

Of course by my nick you can tell I like Cvstos (Dupont Registry inspired) but there doesn't seem to be any clones.

Either way, I've always liked Cartier, and admired Breitling (1 vs 2) too. B&R didn't look bad in magazine ads either. And your avid discussions over Paneraihave got me thinking about them as well..

So as you might be guessing by this time, I'm confused with who to go with for a first buy. I can tell that not all rep's look quite like the gen', but thats just from my subjective eye. I see a few reviews noting some top notch rep's (Hubolt Blackmagic, BR-02-93-ST) but I can't seem to find the exact sold out models on the two sites I've been perusing (via RWG's recommended list), timeshops.net and www.perfect-hour.com.

I'll probably buy from one of these two sites eventually, but I'm so confused on what to choose, and how. Is it just gut instinct if the review models are OOS?

Does over $300 price ranges automatically mean better quality and close to gen?

Please advise kind Sirs, and I do look forward to your replies.

Edited by cvstos

Might I suggest something uncomplicated and of reasonable accuracy for your first rep before moving on to chrono's and others with design aspects that require a quite a bit of experience, such as HBB's, to make wise decisions?

One of these should give you good experience of what to expect and keep you happy while you read up: Breitling Super Ocean Heritage, any of the Sinns, Omega UPO or the ubiquitous Rolex "Noobmariner".

All good places to start and all considered great reps.

Happy hunting!

Start with someting you would like to wear cvstos

For your first replica it really does not matter how close it is the to the real thing...its a rep....just get something you would like to wear

I would spend less than $300 the first time around

Start simple

I propose a OMEGA Planet Ocean for you...I suggest you to get it from perfect-hour.com or any other trusthed dealer

Happy timekeeping

Gunnar:thumbsupsmileyanim:

My first purchase was a blue face SOSF that I bought off TRC in their sales section. It was one that someone had put a genuine rubber strap on. He posted lots of photos of it and wasn't asking much over what a swiss one was going for new from the dealers. later that day I noticed someone else selling a few models cleaning out some other watches he had. This guy was local and i ended up getting a great deal on a white face graham chronofighter oversize. He had some others that were very nice looking. I ended up picking up the graham later the following day. Also had lunch with the guy, who was very nice. (If he is over here send me a message, I have some questions lol).

Check out the items for sale and see if there is something in there that you like. I have only purchased one watch from one of the dealers a millgauss GV all of the others have been second hand from members on the various boards.

Also the price doesn't really reflect how close they are to the genuine or the quality. At least that has been what I have seen.

I think there are always two things to keep in mind:

1. The right watch, maybe there is on you always look at if you pass by a juwelier or you saw on TV or on another person.

For me it was always the standart Submariner and even having one right now it is still the one I am looking at doing

windowshopping :whistling:

2. The right dealer, especially for the first order it is very important to make it an overall nice expirence.

Just my 2 cents

I've always wanted a daydate or daydate II president. Wanting to buy my first watch too. Would Josh's day-date ii president with swiss 2836-2 movement be a good choice for a first watch? I really love the way those look, steel with black dial. Price seems good too.

Much like Gran says my moto when buying is 'Follow your heart' it doesn't matter if it is accurate or a complete fantasy if you like it buy it.

Ken

I agree 100% Ken :thumbsupsmileyanim: One of my favorite reps Is a Breitling motors T. Although the running secs are at the 9 Instead of the 3 I love the watch. It Is a well built rep and has not given me one day of trouble In almost a year. It's not what someone else might think of your watch but how you feel about It thats Important. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yea that would be my fantasy watch. I always wanted the daydate pres model. Though I'm a business owner I would never really spend 20k on a watch... Seems retarded. I could buy a low end gen rolex, but they dont look like what I like. So is that a good quality replica, meaning it works well? Has anyone bought one of those, i couldn't find much info on em.

Yea that would be my fantasy watch. I always wanted the daydate pres model. Though I'm a business owner I would never really spend 20k on a watch... Seems retarded. I could buy a low end gen rolex, but they dont look like what I like. So is that a good quality replica, meaning it works well? Has anyone bought one of those, i couldn't find much info on em.

Spend a little time in the Rolex area Rick, Im sure you will find the answers to all your questions there. There are some very good rep Rolexs, just stick to the trusted dealer (collectors) section, good luck :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike