When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Franken IWC Portuguese Project

Roma Leo

Introduction

For many IWC enthusiasts, the IWC Portuguese Model 3714 is the holy grail of dress watches. Classic and elegant, it wears larger than its 41mm case dimensions suggest. It comes in several versions which in my opinion are all attractive in their own right.

The problem with the Portuguese is the seconds at 6 o

very simple in IWC portuguese..

open the case back by removing the 4 big screws.. then depending on the version you have, there will be 4 other small screws or not... If you have the version with the 4 small screws in the center case, just take them off and then the crystal head will become loose, you dont need to touch the movement for this...

If you have a version that does not have the 4 screws inside then you have a "pop in/pop out" crystal head. To remove it then you can just use a knife to make it pop out. You can also remove the 2 screws that hold the movement to the case and press the movement into the crystal, that will make the crystal head pop out, however this is more risky since you can damage the dial or the bezel, however if you are careful there will be no problem.

After doing this you will have a crystal head with the bezel and crystal. You can send it like that to Uwe (FineDD) in rwi or via Domenico if you are in europe, not sure whether he will charge you more for removing the crystal from the crystal head... If you live in the other side of the atlantic, just send it to Chieftang..

If you want to remove the crystal yourself its advisable to buy a crystal press.. you can buy that from ebay for 30$.

cheers

H.

Truly amazing review and watch.

I don't recall enjoying another watch review recently, as much as this one. Short & striking... I love that kind of review style.