When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex GMT Master 6542 Pan AM

redwatch

Hi folks,

So after doing a little research and poking around, I think I would like to take on the task of building a franken 6542 GMT Master Pan AM. Here's a pic:

Screenshot2010-04-09at50100PM.png

I was really intrigued by this watch, and thought to myself there was no way I was going to find the parts for this. I am thinking of using the ETA 2893-2 engine that I bought from FxrAndy as it would be the correct hand stack and a nice reliable movement. Of course, I am not sure if it will fit into any of the available case sets for a 6542.

Surprisingly, I happened to find a dial, and wanted some experts opinions on it. Please let me know what you think of this dial:

DialGMT6542PanAm.jpg

Yup. There is a complete 6542 with Albino dial for sale, or just this dial.

Not sure about the movement mod paolo - no expert when it comes to rolex movements! I'm sure someone has a thought about it though. I would still like to know if the 2893-2 will work for this or not.

I was considering it!!! It would be the icing on the cake for sure!!!

PAN206542.jpg

Also found this dial on the bay, but it's not the albino one. Much cheaper option though :D

Screenshot2010-04-10at82726AM.png

Don´t know wether this would be good enough, bot how about a water-slide decal on a white painted dial with vintage lume on on top?

MG

Edit: Trivia: According to Rolex lore, white the dial was supposedly for pan am execs, the black for pilots :pardon:

Edited by mastergod

Edit: Trivia: According to Rolex lore, white the dial was supposedly for pan am execs, the black for pilots :pardon:

Yes, apparently the execs were jealous of the pilots and kept taking the GMT's for themselves as they were delivered from Rolex. Juan Trippe, the head of Pan Am noticed one of the watches on the wrist of one of the execs and when asked, the exec exclaimed that they felt shunned. They were just as responsible for the companies successes however they felt as though they were being treated as second class citizens. Trippe was not pleased and ordered all the execs to return the watches so they could be properly distributed to the pilots. However, in order to calm the distraught execs down, Trippe had Rolex make a limited set of watches with white dials. Apparently Rolex was quite thrilled to do so as they had a few number of cases left of the 6542's but had already moved on to the 1675. This enabled them to finally get rid of the last few remaining 6542 cases.

I do not like the lume (too thick & yellow), but, otherwise, this could be good. I agree that you may run into stem alignment issues if you use an ETA with a case made for a gen movement.

Something to keep in mind - there are only a handful of white dialed-6542 gens in the wild, so no one who sees it will appreciate what it is (& anyone who does, will know, instantly, it is fake :whistling: ).

Freddy do you know if there was ever a 6542 case made for an ETA movement? As for the white dial thing, I agree, but I am not sure I really care too much about that. However, the cost of the dial may prohibit me from going forward with it :D It may have to be a traditional black dialed one.

This pan-am rolex gmt watch is superb! this was given to PAN-AM pilots and crew during there "joint venture" to create a two timezone watch!

why this watch has not been replicated or as far as i know not available as aftermarket parts is beyond me this was issued only to pan-am and was not available to the public!

I cant remember which site i found these photos so i am unable to credit them!

post-27094-127097797447_thumb.jpg

This pan-am rolex gmt watch is superb! this was given to PAN-AM pilots and crew during there "joint venture" to create a two timezone watch!

why this watch has not been replicated or as far as i know not available as aftermarket parts is beyond me this was issued only to pan-am and was not available to the public!

I cant remember which site i found these photos so i am unable to credit them!

post-27094-127097797447_thumb.jpg

just found the site! www.fiftyfathoms.net/rolex/6542 ! sorry im unabe to use the link!

Freddy do you know if there was ever a 6542 case made for an ETA movement?

Yes & no. The Silix 'Tiffany' Sub case I used for my Phase 1 6542 was ETA 2836-powered & was signed '6542' between 1 set of lugs (the other set had Sub markings). But I am not aware of anyone selling an assembled, ETA-powered 6542 rep or aftermarket case made to fit an ETA (aftermarket cases tend to be made for gen movements). At the time I began work on my 6542, there were no 6542 cases available - they began to appear, oddly enough, shortly after I completed my Phase 1 6542 project. Today, it is much easier to build a 6542 since a number of aftermarket parts sellers now offer case kits. Makes construction alot easier.

just found the site! www.fiftyfathoms.net/rolex/6542 ! sorry im unabe to use the link!

Well looks like we got two posts going with the pan-am gmt this will be a superb watch! and this is what i want to put my fxrAndy 2893-2 movement in

Edited by aeromatic

Hi folks,

So after doing a little research and poking around, I think I would like to take on the task of building a franken 6542 GMT Master Pan AM. Here's a pic:

I was really intrigued by this watch, and thought to myself there was no way I was going to find the parts for this. I am thinking of using the ETA 2893-2 engine that I bought from FxrAndy as it would be the correct hand stack and a nice reliable movement. Of course, I am not sure if it will fit into any of the available case sets for a 6542.

Surprisingly, I happened to find a dial, and wanted some experts opinions on it. Please let me know what you think of this dial:

Super dial i want to buy one too!

Freddy do you know if there was ever a 6542 case made for an ETA movement? As for the white dial thing, I agree, but I am not sure I really care too much about that. However, the cost of the dial may prohibit me from going forward with it :D It may have to be a traditional black dialed one.

im thinking of using a 6536 rep case eta and get a white gmt dial and with fxrandys 2893 movement will be great but the backcase will be hard is this engraved? or stampped? this is perfect for the 2893 movement!

With a Gen Case set, or a case set built to accept gen parts, what exactly will be the issue for the stem alignment? Is the 1030 thicker or thinner than the ETA movement? Is there any way to modify the case to accept the ETA movement? Or any way to modify the Cannon Pinion etc to work? If any of the "super" modders could chime in on this, I would really appreciate it!

With a Gen Case set, or a case set built to accept gen parts, what exactly will be the issue for the stem alignment? Is the 1030 thicker or thinner than the ETA movement? Is there any way to modify the case to accept the ETA movement? Or any way to modify the Cannon Pinion etc to work? If any of the "super" modders could chime in on this, I would really appreciate it!

hi redwatch you will need an adaptor to hold the movement in the right position for the stem alignment yuki emailed me that they are working on one for there yuki cases and i read somewhere here a member is also making them for yuki cases too a watchmaker could do this for you