When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A bit of goss about parts.

offshore

I was told last night at a Watchmakers meeting, that Swatch have just had a massive increase on parts prices here in Oz.

Like 5X!

A barrel that was $5 now $30...a dial was $120 now $340!

They already restrict supply of ETA parts to their own brand watches..you must quote a brand/model/serial no, to get ETA parts.

Also LVMH who distribute Tag in Oz, are about to restrict parts supply to AD's only.

Looks like a shake up in the parts industry...can almost hear the Chinese rubbing their hands together.rolleyes.gif

Be interested to know if anyone overseas has heard of anything similar. As we are a global community, I can't see Oz being the odd man out, one would think these sorts of moves were being generated at Head Office level.

O/S

It could be a reaction to the current economic conditions (which are generally improving). Instead of trying to increase sales, some vendors try to make up for lost profits by simply raising prices. This seems like the last thing you should do when money is tight, but it never ceases to amaze me how many companies (who should know better) do that.

This will only fuel the move to the better quality Asian Movements and ETA clones

I would have to agree with my friend gran on this one. There was a article on this very topic In Watch International about two months ago. Freddy also makes a very good point. :) (ps) Whats a goss? :unsure:

USA...a couple years ago I ordered some omega parts and the parts lady told me swatch/eta/omega had raised prices, some as much as 300% in the past year.

TAG has always been a horse's azz in the USA and their 'official' parts and service outfit is called 'Protime'...Ha! I needed a new crown and the snooty hag I talked to on the phone told me "You may not be qualified to work on our fine swiss timepieces and we will not sell parts to you unless you send us a letter from an authorized TAG dealer with their letterhead telling us you work on watches for them."

I said if she was talking about TAG, the watch company started by a former arms dealer that put watches together with lowest bidder parts from all over the world with $15 eta movements...I have to work on them because I get a lot of them in used bicycle and lawnmower trades.

She went off like a rocket. =@

Here is the story behind why I needed a crown:

A friend bought a nib no papers steel TAG automatic chronograph on eBay. He forgot to scew the crown down and snagged it on a shelf in the auto parts store where he worked and pulled the crown and stem out, out, and awaaay.

He called Protime and asked if they would sell him a crown.

They told him to send the watch to them.

He sent it.

They called and told him it would be over $500 to repair the watch because "The movement was very dirty and the watch needed a complete overhaul". The watch was about 3 weeks from being nib and a current model.

He told them it was new and they were full of $#!? and to send it back.

He brought it to me.

I got a new crown from a local AD...for 60 dollars! Regular price is about $25.

I can get TAG crowns, case tubes, crystals etc from another USA supplier so it no longer matters if TAG/Protime will not sell parts.

I bought a few genuine TAG watches in the recent past...tutone WK1120 on an even trade for a $100 Citizen, like new steel WN1111 for $150, nib steel lady TAG diver for $100, 3 goldtone TAG lady divers for $25 each (they need a little work), and an older model black over steel diver for $75. We do not think much of them around here and they go cheap.

The swiss brands' refusal to sell oem parts to the repair trade is what started me on replicas...that and the fact that I would work on replicas when no one else in this area would.

I look at watches like service in a restaurant:

No tea. No tip.

No parts. No buy. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I was told last night at a Watchmakers meeting, that Swatch have just had a massive increase on parts prices here in Oz.

Like 5X!

A barrel that was $5 now $30...a dial was $120 now $340!

They already restrict supply of ETA parts to their own brand watches..you must quote a brand/model/serial no, to get ETA parts.

Also LVMH who distribute Tag in Oz, are about to restrict parts supply to AD's only.

Looks like a shake up in the parts industry...can almost hear the Chinese rubbing their hands together.rolleyes.gif

Be interested to know if anyone overseas has heard of anything similar. As we are a global community, I can't see Oz being the odd man out, one would think these sorts of moves were being generated at Head Office level.

O/S

Rolex just notified my watchmaker (who has a "Parts Only" account), that from now on, they will be tracking all repairs by serial#, case ref. # and parts ordered for repair.

Looks like my supplier to help the members here, won't be able to any longer.....Sorry :-(

Especially happy will be Phong, ND Trading and Yuki.

B)

This just posted at RWI by watt44, which sort of ties in with what I had heard.

TAG HEUER CLOSES ACCOUNTS

from http://www.jewellermagazine.com/

A decision by Tag Heuer to reduce supply has angered Melbourne CBD retailers and the controversy is set to occur again in Sydney.

Watch supplier Tag Heuer has become the target of an angry backlash following a controversial decision to close the accounts of all Melbourne CBD stockists except one.

The strategy was designed to coincide with the opening of the brand