When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD Construction (Gen vs Rep) Side by Side!

alvinado

As you guys know I am always looking for my perfect deepsea, and it is a dream that i want to fufil and mod the best looking DSSD!!

I have taken apart my V3-V5 Hybrid DSSD for this comparison, if the photos are not labeled,

left (TOP) is always REP and Right (Bottom) is always GEN , take note!!

Thinkbach's Rep

aaaa.jpg

A random Gen from the net.

web7.jpg

CASE :

I have the Deepsea v5 case here, which I believe is the best case as dimension and build are spot on. Even the edges and everthing else is well done!!

DeepseaREp1.jpgDeepseaGEN2.jpg

DeepseaREp10.jpgDeepseaGEN4.jpg

CASEBACK Construction:

The caseback and the titanium part of it has the correct shape and the fonts on the back are spot on

DeepseaREp2.jpgDeepseaGEN3.jpg

Almost fully disasembled!

AS for the dial, I am using an Ultimate dial from TT as I believe it has the best bevel among all the dials. Gen is a satin finish, so I sprayed my dial matte to match. Note that there is no bezel insert on my rep as I am still modding it!!

DeepseaREp11.jpgDeepseaGEN5.jpg

Case and BEZEL SHOT

Construction is a little different here, with the gen having 4 springs for bezel lock and rep only has one, but hey $10000 difference!!! BTW my crystal was ARed by takashi and in that aspect better than GEN!!!

DeepseaREp12.jpgDeepseaGEN6.jpg

DeepseaREp13.jpgDeepseaGEN7.jpg

Even the Ringlock Mecanism is Removable!!

Notice that for the gen there is 4 holes on the case, this is for the bezel spring, to create the tight click effect, for the rep, sadly there is only one hole..

DeepseaREp14.jpgDeepseaGEN8.jpg

CRYSTAL Thickness..

I would say crystal thickness is pretty spot on, but I can't be sure just from pics.. what do ya say!!

DeepseaREp15.jpgDeepseaGEN9.jpg

Hope you enjoy my little side by side comparison to gen, and now it is back to assembly of this little monster, until then..

Alvinado

Edited by alvinado

• 1 month later...

This is very cool, thanks for sharing! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

One noob question, if I want to remove the crystal from a DSSD, do I have to remove the bezel first?

Thanks!

YES.. you can see the bezel has been removed in the pictures. Not the bezel insert.. but the entire stainless steel bezel. :)

Great review and very innovative matching up your angles with good gen pictures. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I do have one other interesting comment to add which is that I had noticed that the one way which earlier versions were better than later of the rep is where the crown meets the case. In the versions 3-5 it seems that they overdrilled the cg case area so there is too much of a gap between the crown and the actual case. Your gen pictures seem to confirm it. The other question I had relates to the case back. All the pictures seem to show the ti case back insert on the gen as being substantially lighter than the gen. Has anyone tried to lighten it up?

All the pictures seem to show the ti case back insert on the gen as being substantially lighter than the gen. Has anyone tried to lighten it up?

You mean substantially lighter than on the REP.

And to answer your question.. that's because the GEN caseback is made of brushed titanium. The rep caseback is made of aluminum and painted grey. To lighten your caseback you can strip the paint.. and repaint it a lighter shade of grey... :)

Thanks plaifender! I saw some videos showing how to take off the bezel from a submariner by using a swiss knife. The guy slides the knife blade into the gap between the bezel and the watch case then apples some force to remove the bezel. Is it similar for the DSSD?

Thanks plaifender! I saw some videos showing how to take off the bezel from a submariner by using a swiss knife. The guy slides the knife blade into the gap between the bezel and the watch case then apples some force to remove the bezel. Is it similar for the DSSD?

I've never done it.. but i'm sure Alvinado would know since he did the review!!?? send him a pm and see if its the same procedure for the DSSD....

I've never done it.. but i'm sure Alvinado would know since he did the review!!?? send him a pm and see if its the same procedure for the DSSD....

Cool, thanks!

BTW, this is the video I found showing how to do it on a submariner, I used the same tool but could not have the DSSD bezel come off :g:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...