When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You've got to love gen forums.......

woody

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plaaaatinuum caaaard ArrrRRgllrrhhh *Homer Simpson voice*

Oh yes I could go bananas with someones Plat card!! I have to get myself a sugarmomma. Preferably 90+ and with a bad heart :D

I dont know whats more disturbing, The fact that there is a forum for fake watches or people would publicly admit they buy fake watches. Yuck! Imagine the character of people you would meet on a fake Rolex forum? Sad just sad

The friendliest and most generous group of people I've ever incountered, either offline or online. I'd be proud to call anyone here a friend and a brother, which is more than I could say about the snoots on any gen forum :thumbsupsmileyanim: What a bunch of elitist sadsacks :lol:

The friendliest and most generous group of people I've ever incountered, either offline or online. I'd be proud to call anyone here a friend and a brother, which is more than I could say about the snoots on any gen forum :thumbsupsmileyanim: What a bunch of elitist sadsacks :lol:

+1 Teejay my friend, nail on the head right there.

+1 Teejay my friend, nail on the head right there.

I did quite like the comment on there about gluing crystals in, I've found that an excellent way of ensuring the perspex crystal in my 6200 project remains watertight :tu: I wonder how many of them could built a watch from parts... :whistling:

man these guys are realy ignorant....... i think they buy that with there watches :lol:

but i bet these dudes would never spot a decent wm9/bk sub or yachtmaster out :thumbsupsmileyanim:

not on pics, and not in real live.

but guys, i realy dont have anything against gen rolex owners, i mean some of us also own gen watches, for example Lanis nice gen rolexes.. but this dudes are ... :yuk:

its always nice to life on both sides, and to tolerate them both.... gens and reps :D whatever makes you happy

but for them its all about the pricetag B)

all the best guys

deniz

This Is the very reason I dislike gen forums. They go on so much about something they know so little about. I bet if these guys could see a franken rolie up close and personal like, they would [censored] there gen lovin pants :shock: Thats If they have a passion for the hobby to begin with. :whistling:

This Is the very reason I dislike gen forums. They go on so much about something they know so little about. I bet if these guys could see a franken rolie up close and personal like they would shit there gen lovin pants :shock:Thats If they have a passion for the hobby to begin with. :whistling:

Of course not, they just like flashing a Rolley to impress the jailbait (and they would be jailbait, because older women would see them for the inadequates they are ;) )

This goes back to my argument about how gen owners go on the attack when they find out someone owns a rep as, to them, a gen is like buying a lifestyle - and if someone has something that indicates a lifestyle that the gen owner aspires to, but doesn't actually have that lifestyle, they feel they need to attack that person because they are angry that they have been (or might be) taken in. (i.e. "only well off aspirational people own rolex, I am angry that I was fooled by someone's rep because I thought they were also well off and aspirational and therefore I could like them, but they are actually poorer than me and therefore less worthy of my friendship" etc etc) :rolleyes:

It seems to some gen owners that they aren't appreciating a watch for its beauty, more what they feel it should stand for.

Which is quite sad IMO.

This goes back to my argument about how gen owners go on the attack when they find out someone owns a rep as, to them, a gen is like buying a lifestyle - and if someone has something that indicates a lifestyle that the gen owner aspires to, but doesn't actually have that lifestyle, they feel they need to attack that person because they are angry that they have been (or might be) taken in. (i.e. "only well off aspirational people own rolex, I am angry that I was fooled by someone's rep because I thought they were also well off and aspirational and therefore I could like them, but they are actually poorer than me and therefore less worthy of my friendship" etc etc) :rolleyes:

It seems to some gen owners that they aren't appreciating a watch for its beauty, more what they feel it should stand for.

Which is quite sad IMO.

It is sad, because they get on their moral high horse about copyright infringement and what not, when they're the ones who are looking down on people who they perceive to be less affluent than them. As if money actually makes any difference to a person's 'moral fiber'... <_< I've found that it's often the people with the least money, or the most (Old Money families) who are the most genuine people, it's the "I just bought an Entry Level Rolex, so I'm going to pick up some underage skanks, fuck yeah!" wannabes who are the most shallow and pathetic people... There're people here who have both reps and gens, because they appreciate watches for watches, not the price tag or the brand name :victory:

[Edit to add]

Sure, I can kind of see their point: "They're wearing a fake watch, what else might they be lying about...? :unsure: "

At least reps are not being sold at artificially high Brand Name prices, one could argue that they are the more 'honest watch'. I like to think of reps as 'fair trade' watches :victory:

It is sad, because they get on their moral high horse about copyright infringement and what not, when they're the ones who are looking down on people who they perceive to be less affluent than them. As if money actually makes any difference to a person's 'moral fiber'... <_< I've found that it's often the people with the least money, or the most (Old Money families) who are the most genuine people, it's the "I just bought an Entry Level Rolex, so I'm going to pick up some underage skanks, [censored] yeah!" wannabes who are the most shallow and pathetic people... There're people here who have both reps and gens, because they appreciate watches for watches, not the price tag or the brand name :victory:

[Edit to add]

Sure, I can kind of see their point: "They're wearing a fake watch, what else might they be lying about...? :unsure: "

At least reps are not being sold at artificially high Brand Name prices, one could argue that they are the more 'honest watch'. I like to think of reps as 'fair trade' watches :victory:

amen brother... :)

i think i'll go put on some mercadona deodorant now and call it a fresh day.

I do understand where they are coming from with regards to the copyright thing, I mean, if I'd built and priced something at a level which I felt would appeal to the 'right buyers' I was targetting, someone coming along and selling near identical ones at a tenth of the price would annoy me as it would mean that the 'wrong people' would be wearing 'my' design, and my brand values (high earning 'aspirationalists' only) would be diluted.

However, there's the issue - if you're going to create an 'aspirational' brand, people are going to aspire to it and want to get it at the cheapest possible price! lol

And all these people who bleat on about 'taking sales away from rolex" (or whoever) - that's hardly the case as most people buy reps because they can't afford the real thing... Or don't want to buy the real thing because they see it for what it is - an overpriced marketing tool for a company out to make as much profit as possible out of "selling a lifestyle"!

I quite like this sort of discussion tbh - makes me analyse both sides of the coin and decide what I think. It's the gen owners who are so unaware of themselves (or refuse to acknowledge they have been lured in by the lifestyle marketing) that they can't see both sides!

amen brother... :)

i think i'll go put on some mercadona deodorant now and call it a fresh day.

:victory::thumbsupsmileyanim:

That's the way to roll, amigo :drinks:

I do understand where they are coming from with regards to the copyright thing, I mean, if I'd built and priced something at a level which I felt would appeal to the 'right buyers' I was targetting, someone coming along and selling near identical ones at a tenth of the price would annoy me as it would mean that the 'wrong people' would be wearing 'my' design, and my brand values (high earning 'aspirationalists' only) would be diluted.

However, there's the issue - if you're going to create an 'aspirational' brand, people are going to aspire to it and want to get it at the cheapest possible price! lol

And all these people who bleat on about 'taking sales away from rolex" (or whoever) - that's hardly the case as most people buy reps because they can't afford the real thing... Or don't want to buy the real thing because they see it for what it is - an overpriced marketing tool for a company out to make as much profit as possible out of "selling a lifestyle"!

I quite like this sort of discussion tbh - makes me analyse both sides of the coin and decide what I think. It's the gen owners who are so unaware of themselves (or refuse to acknowledge they have been lured in by the lifestyle marketing) that they can't see both sides!

Absolutely, I can understand Rolex getting narked about the copyright infringement, but it's not like the gen owners actually designed and built the watches themselves, they simply purchased them :lol: I think their frustration comes from the irritation that someone 'less than them' is not only able to pull off the same image for less, but that they themselves didn't think of it first. One gen collector I encountered a few years back really was the embodiment of all the worst aspects of gen collectors: Arrogant, self-promoting, totally obsessed with Brand Image, and 100% perfection, yet for all his 'passion for watches', he only 'knew the facts and regurgitated them on command', he didn't actually 'know watches', just what they cost. He was someone who looked down on frankens as the lowest of the low, because in his view, they were putting genuine parts, into a fake watch (thus sullying the purity of the gen parts) yet because of that attitude, he totally missed the point about the level of skill required to actually build the watch itself (regardlesss of the parts going into it) and almost certainly would not have had the skill to do so himself, even if he ever did have the inclination. I admit, that's probably clouded my view somewhat, and I'm sure that there are many gen owners who are fine people, but it does seem to be a majority on those forums, who just criticize the rep industry, without having any actual knowledge or passion for watches themselves... I'm quite happy buying my fair trade watches till I win the lotto, and can then start buying gens to dismantle for parts for my projects :lol: That would really push some of those guys over the edge to know about :whistling:

I agree 100% with all of you, i own gens, reps etc, because i like what a watch is made of, not what a watch make me, i mean, if a simple (or gran complication) piece of metal gen or Rep. Can make a better or a worse person, you dont questiom the 200gr of metal but the guy wearing it

PS its soooo funny see how ugly and patetic this guys looks, in their yate, waiting some skank to notice them jajaja

I agree 100% with all of you, i own gens, reps etc, because i like what a watch is made of, not what a watch make me, i mean, if a simple (or gran complication) piece of metal gen or Rep. Can make a better or a worse person, you dont questiom the 200gr of metal but the guy wearing it

PS its soooo funny see how ugly and patetic this guys looks, in their yate, waiting some skank to notice them jajaja

I agree, the man should make the watch not the other way around. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Bullseye bro :good:

I think you summed it up perfectly here, amigo :drinks:

I agree, the man should make the watch not the other way around. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

These inadequates feel the watch shows them as something (yeah, pathetic, inadequate jailbaiters who need a 'brand name' to hide behind :rofl: ) and that wearing a rep somehow makes that person less of something (Yeah, less of a chump who buys ludicrously over-priced watches :yeah: ) :bangin: :bangin: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think you summed it up perfectly here, amigo :drinks:

These inadequates feel the watch shows them as something (yeah, pathetic, inadequate jailbaiters who need a 'brand name' to hide behind :rofl: ) and that wearing a rep somehow makes that person less of something (Yeah, less of a chump who buys ludicrously over-priced watches :yeah: ) :bangin: :bangin: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

He shoots and he scores :1a:

Good read as always from gen forums......and that and the fact that all of our watches are quartz movements! yay!

hxxp://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=126536

remove the 2 x's and add the 2 t's...you know what to do.

Quick question for Admin/Mod's. How is RWG handling referrers? Is the obfuscation with "xx" really necessary?

Whatever they have to tell themselves to justify or feel better about their purchases is fine with me.

+1

It's the Build vs. Buy mentality - some folks will never get that

Never understood the fun in laying down your Platinum card and walking home with a watch

Exactly. Speaking of wealth and lifestyle, anyone with a line of credit can walk into a store and buy a Rolex or other high end gen. This is no indication of wealth, money, power, etc...

"I just bought an Entry Level Rolex, so I'm going to pick up some underage skanks, fuck yeah!"

Where can one find said skanks... :whistling::bicycle: