When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The pain! The agony! Rolex down!

Nanuq

Well it finally happened, after 13 years the crown threads finally gave up on my vintage MBW 1665. Yes, it's a sad day... a moment of silence please. :cry2:

Okay, now we have that out of the way, who has a crown and tube for me? :Jumpy: And where is the tutorial for replacing that bad boy?

Woo hooooooooooo, this is gonna be fun!!! :kicking:

Thanks R, it is indeed the original MBW part. I have an antique "Paul" aka "Crazy Sale" crown from his Red Sub circa 13 years ago, gorgeous little piece, but it won't thread on that tube either. Looks like I'm gonna have to go gen!

Sorry to hear the bad news, Nanuq. But you had a good run.

If I remember correctly, with an MBW 1665 I think you need to go gen.

Insert a small, triangular hobby file into the tube until it grabs the tube's inside walls, then unscrew. In some cases, the tube may have been cemented into the case. If you heat the case with a hair dryer (Ms. Nanuq can probably help you with that), the tube should then unscrew fairly easily.

Depending on the condition of the threads in the case, you can either just blow out the debris & screw in the new tube, or you may need to use a tap to redefine the threads. Most of the watch supply houses sell the Rolex taps (you need the larger of the pair for a Triplock tube). Everyone has their own preference, but I always apply a small amount of GC crystal cement to the tube's outer threads just to help with sealing (Rolex specifies no cement or sealant in their service manuals, so this is definitely optional when fitting a gen tube) & then screw it in until snug (not too tight).

The process is actually easier to do than to describe.

I seem to recall with an MBW that you may have to drill and retap the case hole- like a 2.65mm drill bit and then the 3mm x .35 tap. I tried running a tap thru an MBW 16610 rep and broke the tap!

here's a 703 crown on the bay- it's a modern one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Rolex-16610-Submariner-703-Watch-Crown-Part-/330417282036?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cee679bf4

aftermarket tubes are like $12 from Yuki, and he may sell aftermarket crowns also.

I've had good results with the 7030 case tube from wholesaleoutlet990 lately- the one decent part that Mr. Slimeball sells!

I thought going gen was mandatory :)

Let me check a couple more drawers...

Lord, I'm afraid to even respond to that one... :ph34r:

I wonder, what to do... what to do... this is my last rep, and the only one I've kept over all the years. Remember, this one has lived through countless hockey practice sessions (just need to reset the time forward 15 minutes after each one) and innumerable Boy Scouts campouts. It's been frozen, lost, found, boiled, bashed, crushed, recrystaled, and still runs like a champ. It even has a gorgeous faded (gen) insert from a 1680. Oh, and a gen tropic-39 Superdome. Do I fix it up? Do I go all Great White with it? Do I go whole hog and do the CGs, lugholes, crown, or do I balk tradition and leave it in its glorious unaltered, completely original state? Or do I let it gently die, and shuffle off this mortal coil? :g:

While typing this I'm watching a bald eagle circling over something dead, while lesser ravens circle and attack it, pestering it mercilessly. It makes me wonder... does the mighty Maria's Best (from Maria himself) keep circling, or do the lesser PTs and Joshuas win in the end?

Wow, this just gets better and better! I can rebuild a carburetor with my eyes closed, I can replace a Honda Accord head gasket in 8 hours, and I can re-ring my chainsaw (the Fear of God) in 2 hours with both hands tied behind my back. I'd think I could handle a simple case tube job!

Except for the part about (shudder) trimming and adjusting the stem. :shock:

Had a look in my parts bins... No gen tubes to spare or offer :( Sorry buddy; if I had one, it would be yours just to get it going again.

BTW, you should have very little if any stem adjustment switching between a rep and gen crown. Maybe a very slight bit, but that's easy to micro-adjust with a file by hand if necessary. The stem should thread into both crowns as they are tap 10.

Thanks for trying, R. Much appreciated.

JMB? If you're willing, I'll take you up on that offer... if you'll let me do something for you in return?