When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My House Plans.. ..so Far

Everythingape

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Time for a little update! :)

Well, I have been working hard on the house this stint at home from the sea, and we've made good progress.

This week we put the windows in, and I finished painting the cladding and other stuff that's supposed to have paint on it.

It's really taken shape the last 5-6 weeks, and we're beginning to see the fruits (and faults) of my drawings.

Money is flying, and it'll be interesting to see what the final amount will be. ;)

Here's a pic of the back of the house.

251252-7488.jpg

I haven't been able to snap any decent ones of the front, but here's one.

We found out now that we made the bay windows too short.. (my girlfriend was right) I'd like them longer, but when the side windows, the little half-roof and the columns come up we'll see how they look.

251252-7489.jpg

Lastly a pic of what will be the living room.

251252-7490.jpg

I figure we're about half way in the build now, and already I can say I never want to do this again! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's funny how stuff works out..

A whole while ago jdkno had some suggestions on how I could partition the rooms better.

I was against it back then, but now we've basically redrawn the whole interior of the house,

opened it up a whole lot more and removed some walls. A lot of it very similar to what he suggested.

So now it's a new round with the carpenters. :) IT'S ALL FUN!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This months occupation; Kitchen Designer..

I learn a lot building this house, good and bad.. The bad is having to plan every minute detail of the kitchen.

I basically do the cooking at when I'm at home with my girls working and in kindergarten, so I figured I'd put some effort into this, along with some professional designers of course.

It's not a big kitchen, and space is further limited by my deciding to have windows and doors in the middle of all four walls.

There will be no kitchen table, as the dining room is adjoining room accessed through double french doors.

We'll put in a fair sized kitchen island in the same design and colours, with cupboards and drawers on each side. It'll also have an overhanging countertop, so we can place a couple of stools there if we want.

The colours are not decided yet, so the drawing is only for layout and general arrangement. We figure we'll go with light vanilla yellow fronts, and a merbau/cherrywood countertop to match the floors. All appliances with be dark brushed stainless steel, and the dishwasher is hidden behind the elevated cupboard under the microwave.

No fancy business planned, although the freezer/refrigerator setup does have an ice maker and a carbonated water dispenser. I would like something neat.. gadgets if you will.. But I can't find anything that I need at a reasonable price. We'll find place for a TV/Media streaming unit somewhere on the other two walls.

Any ideas for change before it's too late?

kitchenjp3.jpg

Ape, I missed this thread, as rarely venture OT (this damn watch obsession you know ;) ) but on reflection, it's even better seeing your project evolve over a whole year from planning to build. Huge effort and congrats for having the balls to tackle this. If my own financial plans (technically more "dreams" right now) go well, I'd like a similar (smaller) little place a 'bit' further up the coast from you, saw a great plot or two this summer :D.

Actually quite jealous of being able to draw up and build your own house. I live in a 250-year old heritage-listed building, where making any alterations however minor is a process akin to extracting teeth involving two separate planning authorities. And that's before you even get to grips with all the practical "fun" of dealing with 'vintage' materials :unsure:. Even changing the colour of our front door requires permission and if you go ahead regardless, the pitchfork and burning torch brigade can force you to change it back. :blink:

OK then, FWIW, kitchen-wise since you're serious about playing 'Chef'. It's all probably personal taste at this point but I would put in a proper steel hood extractor rather than that flat type. Sure it disturbs the flow of wood panelling above and you lose some cupboard space, but really opens up and enhances the focal point of the oven/hob, which you've gone for anyway since it's corner-placed. I'd also invest in a larger hob, range-style, either 6 or 4 plus wok ring and fish grill. Oh and gas is a must for the hob if utilities allow?

I would also invest in a drawer-type dishwasher (Fisher Paykel) and relocate it under the flower vases in your rendering. Apart from being more economical, since your current plan is to have it elevated on the corner of the area, this would be much safer location, height and mechanism for your little girl (and 'big' girl if she's as accident-prone as mine :black_eye:).

As for gadgets, I wouldn't bother really. I've seen those 'American style' (as we English call them euphemistically ;)) double fridge freezers with LCDs built-in linked up to the internet to order food when you're running low on milk. Although helpful for a self-confessed hermit like yourself I just think there's just something naff and unnecessary about all that crap. Just buy a nice Gaggia or Pavoni to 'bless' your kitchen and you're done :D

Looking forward to those Christmas 'moving in' pics!

p.s. disappointed you didn't feel inclined to include a library.....in honour of your dear departed 'Highbury Library' :p:lol:

p.s. disappointed you didn't feel inclined to include a library.....in honour of your dear departed 'Highbury Library' :p:lol:

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the official name of my lot is: you guessed it.. 'Highbury'. A quaint, but heartfelt tribute to the old grounds. ..and a retort to my friend naming his piece of land 'Anfield'. So when people ask me if I've ever been to Highbury I can I say 'I literally live there'. ;)

You're planning to build something in northern norway? It's a beautiful serene part of the country, and also a good investment should you decide to sell later. Most of the guys on my boat are from Nordland/Troms, and they own some beautiful land that they go to on the weekends for hunting and fishing ..or just to get away from their better halves.

There's something to be said for old houses too, their history and apparent beauty. But I can imagine the hassle if, like you said, one tries to change anything or want to modernize a little. My friend lives in a house from 1860, also a heritage listed (not many large houses from that era are still standing in Norway) and he's had to change almost all of his windows and doors twice the last 10 years.

We're lucky in the sense that my lot is parcelled out from my father in law's old farm, on the outskirts of town, so we can pretty much do as we please. The neighbours are all family and relatives, and we're welcomed by helpful people with open arms.

Now to the kitchen: You make a great point about the corner focal point. The oven/hob is in the corner because we had no other place to put it. The windows I put in pretty much took all other options away. But I like it that way, and we're still considering the ss extractor hood, weighing it against the loss of cupboard space.

Sadly gas is not really an option in most of norway, it's expensive, and a pain to get hold of. The alternative is burying a tank in the garden, and having it filled whenever needed. Our insurance companies don't like the gas option either, thus raising the premium if it's used.

We've opted for an induction type hob, with a 3200W booster zone and a 4+1 setup. It makes for very fast heating and cooling time, and it's child safe. I want the grill element on the side, but my dear will hear none of it. :wounded1: And either way there will be a grill on the porch/deck outside the kitchen.

The dishwasher is a great idea, I have actually never seen one like that drawer style Fisher Paykel. I can really see the practicality of it! The only trouble I see with that is that would have to be placed too far from the sink. I feel it's natural for the dishwasher to be closer to it, as the plates and what-not are rinsed before they are put in. One alternative could be placing it in the kitchen island. :unsure:

I too have an accident prone little angel, but the dishwasher lid is so close to the wall when opened that I'm hoping we'll avoid the worst scrapes and bruises. The place below the sink is also reserved for imposed source separation/4 separate recycling bins. (And they still dump it all in the same filling.)

As for gadgets, I think you're right.. Most of it will never be used.. And money is flying enough without putting in stuff that has to be replaced in a few years time.

We call the mastodonts 'american style' fridges too, but we've opted for some euro-size cabinets. And these two are really the only items set in stone. (already ordered)

Anyway, thanks a lot for looking DBR! I appreciate the suggestions. :)

The Fisher & Paykel dishwasher drawers look great - but I have heard (anecdotal) problems on the reliability front, two drawers twice the problems sort of thing. Possibly sorted out by now anyway.

As docblackrock said - a great extractor could be cool, visually (from that angle anyway) it's the centrepiece of the room too.

One area worth looking at is really great lighting. Most of the light in the room will presumably be coming from behind you and casting a shadow, so it can make a real difference to think through the lighting underneath the cabinets. The area by the cooker is appears to be depending heavily on the lights that come with the extractor, I don't think it would be that bright in reality. Unless, of course, your cabinets have superlume! B):lol:

Oh, and presumably the orange Formica worktop is a joke! :animal_rooster:

:)

As docblackrock said - a great extractor could be cool, visually (from that angle anyway) it's the centrepiece of the room too.

One area worth looking at is really great lighting. Most of the light in the room will presumably be coming from behind you and casting a shadow, so it can make a real difference to think through the lighting underneath the cabinets. The area by the cooker is appears to be depending heavily on the lights that come with the extractor, I don't think it would be that bright in reality. Unless, of course, your cabinets have superlume! B):lol:

Oh, and presumably the orange Formica worktop is a joke! :animal_rooster:

:)

What the hell do you mean?! I LOVE the hugger orange worktop! :p ..no, the top is going to match the floor, a merbau/cherrywood dark brown woodgrain thing.

For the next room we're having a dining table made to match the colours.

As for lighting, there will be 2 downlights in the top mouldings in both windows, and in the middle of the room there will be a ceiling outlet with hhree spotlights. Combined with the two spotlights in the extractor along with a lot of natural light (two large windows and two french doors with 160cm tall windows in them) we are hoping it'll be enough light. ;)

But I absolutely see why you mention it.. there's little duller than a dark kitchen with dark colours. It's easy to add something under the cabinets later though.

I'm a fan of the SS extractors, and this corner will be seen all the way from the livingroom, but 'we' made a decision about the extractor today; we're sadly lacking cupboard space, so we're keeping the setup shown in the drawing. The lower shelf of the cupboards is occupied by a pull-out extractor and fan motor, but we still get two more.

We're also having a shelf made for behind the hob, to make the corner feel less massive. ..I imagine it'll be a grease collector, but oh well..

PS: Having no clue about what some things are called in english I hope it's intelligible when I try to explain. :)

• 1 month later...
Just curious.

Any new pics?

I think your new home is excellent. :D

Thankee Thankee!

It's all plated up inside now, ready for wallpaper and whatnot. :)

I go to sea tomorrow morning, so I put my faith in good helpers to keep the momentum up while I am gone.

I don't really have any new pics worth showing, it's just wallboards and filler at this point. I'll snap a few when the finish starts looking like something.

We've changed the plans for the bathrooms a bit, looking for a steambath/bubble bath as well as the cabinet thing I posted a pic of earlier in this thread.

201924-1468.jpg

I'm almost relieved I'm going back to sea, it's been a lot of work, and now they are chasing me around with the garage plans! :D

• 1 month later...

We've started the home stretch in the house; paint, floors and cupboards left to do. I have great help from my father and father-in-law who get dirty while I am at sea.

I find it hard to take pics worth showing now that the dividing walls are all up, but playing around with panorama shots, basically stitching a lot of photos together, I came up with these. Ignore the obvious fisheye-distortion. :)

The "Master Bedroom" ('This is where the magic happens')

bedroompanoad8.jpg

The dining room

diningpanodc9.jpg

My daughter's room

kidspanotq7.jpg

The living room

stuepanoso4.jpg