When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The 2836-2 movement in WM9 v1

kornblomst

Hi,

Thought I'd stay with the Pannies, but somehow a rollie just seems so appealing.

Being a complete rollie noob, I've narrowed it down to a 16610, but I don't know which to choose.

The WM9 v1 is for sale at 2/3 of the price of a WM9 v3 (bk), but should I put in the extra amount of money for the v3?

I'm a bit discouraged of the 2836-2 movement after reading The Zigmeister's review at: http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/78321-gmt-eta-2836-2-modified-movement-not-recommended/

...and I'm curious to know the expected lifetime from other wm9 v1 owners.

If I was to order the v3, is it then a Gen 2824-2 movement and is the lume "gen-like"?

In essence, I just want a stable 16610 gen-looking. So if the v1 provides that, I'm thinking that I should save the money?

What's your oppinion....thx

/Korn

Hi Korn,

the V3 lume is not gen like. It is better than on most reps, but no match to the gen.

I have had watches with 2836 running for over 10 years. A well serviced movement is a must for that and a gen 2836 is nothing to be concerned with.

After having a V3 I'd stick with the V1. It had the best bracelet and dial. IMO the V3 is a huge step back from the V1. I still miss my V1 I sold one and a half year ago :(

Cheers!

Oops! You're reading about a 2836-2 GMT movement with the correct handstack. This is not a standard 2836-2 movement- it's a modified movement made to mimic the Rolex GMT movement. All you're looking for is a plain 2836-2- preferably swiss if you want dependability and longevity. ETA 2836-2 has been out for almost 30 years- it can be serviced and is very dependable.

WM9 V1's are fine, maybe you put a gen bezel insert on and possibly a gen crown, maybe trim the cg's. These are still very nice reps in their own rights- just not quite as good as the V3- but whose gonna really be checking the crown position of your rep. Also, lume wasn't as good on the V1. But it's still not a bad place to start. Good luck.

Actually, with a sub I'd really go for the best version!

WM9 V1 is quite good already, but going for a V2 or V3 will be even better.

No worries about the movement! As alligoat already stated you read a review about a modified movement not the standard 2836-2 which is very reliable.

The modification rep makers do to the movement to make it resemble the GMT movement makes it unreliable. The plain one is safe to get.

The small movement that was used in the V2 seems quite reliable to me, too... have mine for some time now... no problems at all!

Id suggest going for a v2 or v3 if you can spend the extra money it costs.

:drinks:

2836 is a good solid movement, worth every penny.

i'd skip wm9v1, v2 and 3 are SO much better. if v3 cost more than $50 difference than v2 i wouldnt pay the difference tho.

V1 still has the best clasp and end links. Case quality was better than V2 and V3. Actually the V3 bracelet is one of the worst Rolex Oyster rep bracelets I ever had. End link fitment is poor and quality is so, too.

If you want a really good sub: V1, gen insert, dial and hands relume, gen crown and tube, Noobmariner bracelet with V1 clasp and divers extension, V1 end links and V1 first outer links.

sorry mate but forget about the V1 ! PT doesn't have them anymore. Your only shot would be the sales section from now onwards.

I just made an enquiry at Precious Time and it seemed like he had it:

http://ptswiss.com/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=162

I asked him if it were the same as By-Tor reviewed long time ago, and he said yes.

Loved my v1. Best SELs ever.

IMG_0687.jpg

3.jpg

But make no mistake, as a rep v2 is superior. The lume is 99% gen-like.

I just got a separate V1 bracelet (for my LV!) from PT and the endlinks is a lot better than all others I think :)

And the solid midlinks makes it fell more solid than the hollow midlinks.

I just made an enquiry at Precious Time and it seemed like he had it:

http://ptswiss.com/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=162

I asked him if it were the same as By-Tor reviewed long time ago, and he said yes.

that's odd since PT informed me not so long ago that I had purchased the last one, in fact he gave me a good deal in order to rid him self of it. im curious to see what you get from him in the mail then.

Don't get me wrong; V1 is not perfect by any means. But with some work and gen parts, it's a great watch!

:)

wauwww...that looks awesome.....although I'm pretty bad at calling out Rollie reps :) (as I said I used to be a pannie-man...until I discovered I had small wrists and the pam 047 rep was unavailable ;oD)

/korn

that's odd since PT informed me not so long ago that I had purchased the last one, in fact he gave me a good deal in order to rid him self of it. im curious to see what you get from him in the mail then.

I think it will be the version with the engraved rehaut, that is not as nice as the V3 ! :whistling: