When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New OEM like replacement crystal for HBBs

txcollector

This is a project that I started last year and now it's finally done.

The HBB is an awesome rep but after spending some time at the AD I start noticing the few differences that now are bugging me (mainly date wheel and crystal). On the crystal side there are two major flaws with all HBB reps that I have seen:

• Incorrect crystal thickness
  • Incorrect AR

Here are some comparison pictures to show the differences.

Here's the gen. Notice how the crystal is raised above the bezel.

HBBcrystal.jpg

SS.jpg

Photo courtesy of Shinzo

And compare to the rep to see how it's flush with the bezel.

h13as.jpg

This for me is a very noticeable difference that can be easily spotted.

Since I couldn't find any good replacement for the stock crystal (others have tried but none have gotten this right yet) and decided it would be better to get the gen specs and send out for custom manufacturing.

After a number of months, prototypes and emails I finally have my crystals.

new.jpg

This week I was able to install one for a customer. Here's the result (with my thanks to the watch owner that allowed me to take these pictures). What do you guys think?

3.jpg

2.jpg

19.jpg

12.jpg

1.jpg

very very nice TX :thumbsupsmileyanim: looks great.

but did you checkd the other gen HBBs like the ice bang or all black? i cant say for sure but a couple of weeks i handeld the gen ice bang and i realy cant say the crystal was that raised :g: but may you know that ?

all the best

deniz

Darn you TX! haha! jk - youve put alot of effort into making this hobby better. :thumbsupsmileyanim: If you come across a nice "Ice Bang" let me know - and ill take one of your crystals too :thumbsupsmileyanim:

very very nice TX :thumbsupsmileyanim: looks great.

but did you checkd the other gen HBBs like the ice bang or all black? i cant say for sure but a couple of weeks i handeld the gen ice bang and i realy cant say the crystal was that raised :g: but may you know that ?

all the best

deniz

Deniz,

I've done a lot of research to get to the specs. I can't say for sure that all will have the exact same height but I haven't seen any that have a flush crystal. The reason it the effect you get on the beveled top of the crystal. Here's a pic (incidentally the Ice Bang and the All Black are shown).

crystals-1.jpg

TX's crystal is perfect from his pics (i have one on the way). I've handled lots of gens recently and the main thing that you notice even before datewheel fonts is the crystal. Gen's have the beveled edge that catches the light and it is very noticeable from a distance. Even a 2geek crystal that is not much taller than rep looks better because it has a beveled edge. There is variation among gens as to the height/thickness of the crystals, but not by much and they are all taller than rep, and all taller than the 2geek. The gen crystals are probably all the same, some are just set a bit deeper than others or perhaps bezel spacers are a tiny bit different in proportion...

I was getting curious looks at the AD when I was analyzing every aspect of these watches and asking to see so many and I wasn't even trying any of them on. There are lots of macro variation between gens; depth of screws, dial imperfections, AR tone, etc. But this is all stuff that no ordinary person would ever notice. Bottom line is pop in the TX crystal and a 2geek datewheel and you're done.

All you guys that have them installed post some pics

Very nice mt666tm! Whats your verdict on the AR difference?

Anyone: How easy is it to change crystals on HBB's for a noob? :D

The AR is really amazing. It is better than i've seen on many gens.

To change a crystal is relatively easy, but if you've never done it then maby buy a cheap quartz HBB and practice on that 1st. Remove the caseback, then the stem, then movement and bezel and clasp (or whole strap if you want) and then push out the rep crystal with your thumbs. It will pop out hard so do it over a carpet or something soft.

Lay down a nice clean cloth of some kind and place the TX crystal on it (beveled edge down), then place the crystal gasket in the case, then place the case onto the crystal and push evenly and hard. It will slide right in. Check to make sure it's in even, and just push around the edge to even it out if needed.

kinda like this:

3.jpg

To change a crystal is relatively easy, but if you've never done it then maby buy a cheap quartz HBB and practice on that 1st. Remove the caseback, then the stem, then movement and bezel and clasp (or whole strap if you want) and then push out the rep crystal with your thumbs. It will pop out hard so do it over a carpet or something soft.

Lay down a nice clean cloth of some kind and place the TX crystal on it (beveled edge down), then place the crystal gasket in the case, then place the case onto the crystal and push evenly and hard. It will slide right in. Check to make sure it's in even, and just push around the edge to even it out if needed.

Hey buddy. Thanks for the quick tutorial. I think my main concern would be removing the stem/movement.......but I still want to give it a go :thumbsupsmileyanim: Might give you a holla when my watch arrives (if thats ok with you?)

Oh yeah, whats the best way to ensure the crystal is clean and dust free before installation?

^ Thanks for doing this for us!

about the bezel, fair enough, you don't have to remove it. I just do because the ceramic is sharp and I don't want to accidentally damage the glass if something slips or pops out as the ceramic can chip it. If anyone needs an H-screwdriver just take a flat-head and file a notch in the middle

[color="#0000FF"

Oh yeah, whats the best way to ensure the crystal is clean and dust free before installation?

Do it in outer space... No matter what i've done in the past there is ALWAYS dust in there after I close the caseback. Even when I am 100% sure and inspect under all kinds of light and everything. Dust is smart, it knows how to hide, how to blend in... once you put that caseback on it's the cue for that dust hiding in there to come out and play. Have fun :)

No more future runs? :wounded1:

This was a one time one thing. Too much work to get this one done.

I started the project to get one crystal for me and ended up having to sell dozens.

However If there's enough demand in the future I might do another run but I'm not planning it at this time.

This was a one time one thing. Too much work to get this one done.

I started the project to get one crystal for me and ended up having to sell dozens.

However If there's enough demand in the future I might do another run but I'm not planning it at this time.

Dang..should have known this was a one-off. About to get my first HBB, and was thinking of using your crystal as an upgrade. :p

Here's looking forward to a future run... :victory: