When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Very early DRSD

Nanuq

I was PM-ing with someone yesterday who asked about buying a gen DRSD. I ran across a very interesting example this morning... and very inexpensive. It's rough, but very early, and a great starting point for someone with mad modding skillz. Its description tells you a lot about the seller, so buyer beware.

1967 DRSD

986708_large2.jpg

Interesting find. Sounds like a neglected piece that could use a little TLC...

It definitely needs some work, but that is a screaming price. You'd just have to swallow the MK-I to MK-III dial swap. *gulp*

I'm not sure what he means by the inner case ring being damaged with the crystal. That might be the deal breaker right there.

Ubi, I have an artifact just like that on mine, but at the 1:00 position. Under a loupe you can see where there was an impact to the crystal's side (imagine that!!) and it formed an internal crack... inside the plastic. Viewed down through the vertical side wall of the crystal, you can see it. From the side it's invisible. I'd bet big money it would fail right there if I put it under water pressure.

Considering the exponential scarcity of a '67 DRSD and the possibly minimal amount of work required to bring it back from the precipice, this would actually merit a "go" in my book.

You guys haven't spotted what, to me, is its most charming feature! :clapping:

drsd_boogered.jpg

It does have an extremely fat lip; that must have been some impact to cause that kind of damage at :29...

Interesting to me that the crystal has the damage at 4:00 - 5:00; I wonder if it somehow shifted as part of the impact, or if maybe the crystal was removed during one of it's servicings, rehaut inspected and crystal reinstalled out of orientation to the prior damage?

:g: