When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How about BCE v3 with Arabic numbers?

By-Tor

The main thing I dislike on all "graphite" BCE's are the sticks. No matter how accurate the watch is, the lume and sticks aren't up to par with gen. v2 might have a little whiter and nicer sticks but they're always a bit sloppy. This became very apparent after handling the gen just recently. The sticks on gen dial are stunningly smooth.

How about this version? It never got much attention... v3 with Arabic numerals. Eliminates the "stick issue" completely.

Are the numbers on the dial accurate to the gen... and how about this watch overall? Doesn't look too shabby to me.

63008666.jpg

Anyone owns v3 with arabic numbers... pics please! I need more 'Lings but I have to decide what to get next. BCE or blue Seawolf on Pro2, decisions decisions... :)

@Ubi: Too bad I can't make any mods with my clumsy big hands. But if someone had a franken-BCE for sale in EU, here's a buyer. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Honestly I don't think BCE is a great option as a gen... very expensive for what it offers technically. Great finish and details but it has "outhouse movement" and all... I'm not a movement snob but $4K is still way too much for a ETA7750 watch for me. You can get a Ebel BTR with wayyyy superior inhouse movement for the same money.

@db2: You're right, new SO is not my thing. Not impressed with that one at all. I prefer the classic Breits.

BT,

From just looking at the movement, you are exactly right. Too much $$ for just an ETA 7750 movement. However, BCE is just so damn beautiful. I think you can find one used for about $2600. It will be something you want after owning a franken for a year or two :)

This is my gen dial looks like. Hopefully it's big enough for your comparison. The thing is if the rep dial turn out to be... not so good, you can always put in a gen. Arabic numbered BCE dials are a lot easier to find than the stick marker ones.

IMG_1123.jpg

@cougaree: Nothing beats the gen dials. Especially on a watch like BCE. Too bad there aren't many frankens around for me to buy...

So... I'm just curious about that particular rep because from a quick look I don't see anything blatantly wrong with it.

Just by looking at the picture, the rep dial doesn't look bad at all (the minute markers are the same width from beginning to end on the rep dial whereas they are not same width on the gen dial). The Arabic dials are quite simple in design, I would hope the rep factory can make it right.

When people franken their BCEs, they are likely keeping it :) I have only seen two people selling theirs since I joint RWG. If you want a franke BCE, you will really have to get it done yourself. I mean getting all the parts needed and having your watchmaker do it. I think the procurement process is kind of fun personally. It makes you appreciate the final result a whole lot more.

Since you already have a stick marker dial BCE, I would consider to get a gen dial using the $$ you would purchase another rep BCE if I were you. Keep an eye on Ebay, sometimes you will find a good deal. I bought all my dials and bezels there.

Since you already have a stick marker dial BCE, I would consider to get a gen dial using the $$ you would purchase another rep BCE if I were you. Keep an eye on Ebay, sometimes you will find a good deal. I bought all my dials and bezels there.

Thanks man.

But I don't have the v3 graphite anymore. A few weeks after "flipping" it I kinda regretted it... but then again I'd like to have one of these numeral ones.

Let's see if PT has any in stock. :whistling:

for whatever reason, the BCE has never moved me...but it's stealthy cousin, the Blackbird, is by far, one of my favorites...and now my Bird is even better - with blue Z-lume and chief's double ar...while not a franken, these custom mods have a nice impact...

as for a Breitling franken - i still think people overlook the white or black dial v1 ss Chrono Avenger that Josh still sells...same case and excellent details as the v1 ti Chrono Avenger - but instead is a mix of polished and brushed ss...yes - it's technically fantasy for a CA, but it sure is one of the best detailed watches...i added a gen blue CA arabic dial mounted on a skyland movement with blue skyland hands -- and IMO, it takes this watch to a whole new level...well - that is, until she returns with chief's double AR...while i love the skyland, i find the simplicity of the CA bezel is a better contrast with arabic dials...

here's my v1 ss Chrono Avenger gen blue dial franken... :wub:

enjoy - R

caskylandswap2.jpg

caskylandswap3.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Yup, hands relume is on the list somewhere down the road. But doesn't bother me right now.

The dial color is actually called "silver" though it does appear white in some stock Breitling photos. On the website it appears whitish.

I have only seen once a dial like this for sale on ebay, and it's from DiamondCastle. It was sold for $300. I wish I had fund at that time b:(

Watchmeister: Your gen may be cheaper, but it really depends on the franken models. I would agree with you on an used gen Omega PO vs franken one, but not on a Breitling BCE.

To fully mod a BCE (to get an 90% gen looking), you will need a v2/v3 model, which will run you say $300

Then, you add another $300 for the dial, $430 for the bezel and tabs. Maybe install a gen ETA 7750 movement for $350 + $100 labor. Have the hand lumed say $50 job.

Total: $1530. About a little over half of what you would paid for an used BCE.

Here's gen for comparison. The rep looks pretty damn good to me.

W1981.jpg

W1981-1.jpg

W1981-2.jpg

Here's King's (terrible quality) photo of the rep. Even the wings logo is correct, unlike on graphite v3.

Is there a reason this model hasn't gotten much attention? I'd say this is way better than the graphite and its sloppy lume sticks, or maybe I'm missing something? :brow:

BREITLING-233-3.jpg