When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

should I start living together?

edgematic1

This is a question that came up a lot of times the last couple of months... Should I live together with my girlfriend?!

The situation:

After being best friends for 5 years we suddenly kissed, talked about our feelings and got together, that was July 2009... The sad thing was, she was leaving our home country for 1 year to go on Erasmus to Valencia.

Now, the year almost passed by, we saw eachother a lot for being separated 1 year and things are going better than ever actually. Had a rough time during November (I thought "what am I doing, she's too far away"). But after winter-break we called eachother everyday, went on 2 holidays, ...

Now, next year she is going to start her 2 year traineeship as a civil engineer - architect. So she will be gone working the whole day. Next year I'm doing my last year of study, so I can see her only in the evening and during weekends.

Now, we both think living together only with the 2 of us is too soon. So we got the idea to rent an appartment or house with 4 persons, the two of us and 2 friends.

We chose this because of the reason that when we rent something apart, 1 of the places will remain unused as we will sleep over at the one or the others place.

What are your thoughts about this? Any experiences?

Are we too young to take the step? I'm becoming 22, she's 23.

That is quite young, but plenty of people do it!

I think you might find it better to rent your own place together - it can bring you together as you decide on decorating ideas and arranging furniture! (but it can also annoy you both if you have different ideas! :D)

Living with other people is annoying, especially when you two just want your own space to do what you want. You can't exactly stroll from the bedroom naked to get a drink after you've been, er, 'having a cuddle' ;) if you have someone else living there! ;)

If you only see each other in the evenings and weekends then that's just like any other relationship so shouldn't be a problem. as long as you both take time to go out on your own and be your own person once in a while, you shouldn't annoy each other or end up with nothing to talk about :)

Start off with just a 6 month renting period - that will fly by but be long enough to work out if you can't stand each other really! :D

First... make sure the girlfriend doesn't catch you asking for realationship advice here on the forum.. She'd kill you! I don't think you should share an apartment with anyone else. If you guys decide to do it, do it alone. You'll really learn alot from each other.. and having other people in your living environment may make it more difficult than easy. Obviously there's emotional and economical factors to include but if you feel it's the right time.. go for it! good luck!

p.s. was just in valencia last month.. so beautiful :)

Years ago, I moved in with a brand new girlfriend and another couple as well.... I never did it again, it was a total nightmare and an extremely long (way too long for here, I could write a book, and probably should!)and adventurous story :black_eye:

But that was then and us, and this is you and now.

Make your path :victory:

If you're planning on living together do it alone, having another couple with you will put all kinds of stress, that you don't need, into the relationship.

BTW I married my wife when she was 21 so no I don't think you and your gf are too young.

Ken