When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PloProf and Planet Ocean: Both Omegas, both divers, but very different

chefcook

Today my local Omega Dealer called and said that I should visit him, a PloProf has arrived for me :) We expected the PloProf to arrive in a month when I ordered it last week!

So this was a very short day in the office - I simply could not wait longer :)

While Rolex Submariner and Deep Sea still look very similar and have a similar approach on the diving theme Omega has made something completely different with the PloProf.

The DeepSea only have higher depth rating, a divers extension and a HE-Valve over the standard new sub 116610 (ceramic bezel). Basically both look very similar and work very similar.

The PloProf though is completely different from the Planet Ocean. IMO the PloProf is a lot less compromised than the Deep Sea and is made for real diving. The bezel look is very cool and safes time plus it is much more secure than an unidirectional bezel. The crown guard should work as such perfectly.

The lumed saphire bezel is not only better looking than the ceramic bezel of the Deep Sea but has better readability, too.

The calibre 8500 is impressive. It winds smoother than any other watch I ever had. The hour hand can be adjusted indepentently from the others. It is completely built in house, has two barrels giving 60 hours power reserve, it is chronometer tested and of course it has the coaxial escapement, too.

A little detail that is really stunning: The black back ground of the date wheel is glossy! That is something the rep makers won't get repped correctly, if you ask me..

The clasp and the mesh band are pieces of art and working very well.

And: Man, this is a heavy watch! 290g including all links, 272g sized for my wrist! My Panerai 005 weighs about half of that! But it still wears surprisingly comfortable. On the wrist it does not feel heavier than an automatic Panerai.

dsc00268q2mm.jpg

dsc0025744dj.jpg

dsc00258y1bp.jpg

dsc00259b3ah.jpg

dsc00254y0ez.jpg

dsc00270l4s1.jpg

dsc00264a1gk.jpg

dsc00261u0jl.jpg

dsc00266s1ky.jpg

dsc0026940lv.jpg

dsc0025273i9.jpg

dsc00251z3a9.jpg

dsc0026354vj.jpg

dsc00267820h.jpg

dsc0025632go.jpg

dsc0026010km.jpg

dsc00265646u.jpg

dsc00262z34e.jpg

dsc00253a23p.jpg

dsc00271y0og.jpg

This is a keeper, for sure!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, nothing like a gen! Dont blame you for leaving work so early to pick this beauty up! And look everybody......no happy feet! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Wear it well, truly stunning.

Really impressive watch. You won't have to worry about seeing it's twin on every other guy in the bar!! One thing about the PloProf's, they aren't the sort of watch you "sort of like" either you like them or you hate them. Personally, ilike the vintage better, but this is a serious tool watch,with many improvements over the old 600m.

Great watch, wear it well. Take it diving, that's where watches like this belong, in the ocean.

• 3 weeks later...