When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another 1680 Build

sly

This is my next 1680 build let me know what you think about the dial and current insert. I have a pmwf insert in the picture below too just in case it is better than yuki's insert.

The Build:

Yuki 1680 Case

Yuki 1680 dial & Hands

Genuine crown

Genuine 127 Crystal

Yuki ETA Adaptor

ETA 2846 Movement (not in picture)

DW overlay (c/o fxrandy)

post-28963-064046600 1279083590.jpg

post-28963-095735000 1279083604.jpg

post-28963-056008100 1279083621.jpg

The only obvious thing I see wrong with it is that big hole in the dial at the 3:00 position... ;) Seriously, looks like the hands and dial match pretty good as far as lume aging goes.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally this is now all put together. What made the build so long is the Dial I have above is made for the ETA Date wheel to line up perfectly and not being able to use my overlay. As I wanted to use my Overlay, So I had to order another Rolex Dial from yuki which is what is there now. Also Added the Ofrei Pearl, The only thing I don't. like about my supposedly genuine 127 crystal is a lot of glare from the cyclops. :( Otherwise, I love this watch and going to be my daily wear. My PT1680 might go for sale soon to fund a different project (Tudor Snowflake might be).

Special Thanks to JMB for helping me build this watch.

Sly

post-28963-006510800 1281809596.jpg

Looks good!!

,,,why dont you use your PT1680 as a base for your snowflake project? Just swap out the dial and crystal. If you use a non-date Tudor dial, then you can even use the same movement.

317932266_o.jpg

That's a Great Idea. I want to go with a Tudor 9411 date. My question is will the 26mm Tudor dial fit ok in the PT 1680 case and will the currently installed clark 127 crystal cyclops sit exactly on top of the date to magnify it center. Maybe somebody who has done this can give advise.

Thanks

The Tudor date magnifier is more to the edge of the crystal.. its a t-115 or something i think. I know its definatly not a t-127 because i have an old gen crystal off my old Snowflake and its not the same date position. You would also need the correct movement with the datewheel out further.. not sure if you can mod the 2824 to move the datewheel out... Doing a non-date would be a lot easier thats the only reason why i suggested going that route.

Good looking watch! does the yuki dial have lume?

Thanks, No it doesn't.

The Tudor date magnifier is more to the edge of the crystal.. its a t-115 or something i think. I know its definatly not a t-127 because i have an old gen crystal off my old Snowflake and its not the same date position. You would also need the correct movement with the datewheel out further.. not sure if you can mod the 2824 to move the datewheel out... Doing a non-date would be a lot easier thats the only reason why i suggested going that route.

I thought it was as easy as tudor movement uses ETA therefore datewheel lines up. I will have to rethink what you said.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Tudor Crystal is a T-125. The cyclops is closer to the edge of the crystal. you can find them on the vintage Rolex forums for around 125-150 USD for a new one. I believe the ETA date wheel is going to be off center with a genuine Tudor Snowflake dial. I would try to source a Tudor movement and dial or and aftermarket dial that's set up for a Tudor movement.

Here is my genuine 9411/0 . the only thing mine needs is a tritium pearl, as the insert was changed several years back by Rolex San Francisco and they replaced the old insert with a new Lumi insert.

9411-04.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

mini guide for hands ;) :

IMG_2699-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

cheers,

Frank

finally what ive been trying to articulate has been illustrated nicely. the fake hands have that longer piece protruding from the base because they also serve the purpose of being on a GMT with that 24hour hand having a band around the pinion, the fake hands are always correct for a gmt but completely wrong for a SUB, even subs from 40 years ago

What a great watch... enjoy it well.... :Jumpy:

P.S. If you do sell it let me know...

Were did you get the Ofrei Pearl from... I need one for my project.

Cheers!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: