When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

T39 Superdomes - The Motherlode!

docblackrock

Man...how many "retired watchmakers" are out there with goldmines like this? If you believe these eBay sellers, there's one on every block...

...Just for fun, I searched eBay for "retired watchmaker"...came up with 127 items.

Edited by avitt

It was pretty smart for the seller to have photographed the crystal on a reflective surface, so it appears even taller.

I'm not sure it's the surface, to me it look's like the photo shows two crystals stacked on top of each other. :blink:

Ken

My heart! MEDIC!!!

*stagger stagger*

:o:unsure::stretcher: can't say I didn't warn you Bob.

Persoanlly I wouldn't pay that kind of dough, shill bidding is very likely, however just the mere photographic proof of the existence of that fat wad roll of crystals is worthy of exuding pools of saliva, uuuuurrrrrrggggg.....

Yep... it's sitting on something.

It's curious how her replies to the feedback she received all mention the high-end pieces she's purportedly bought.

Private auctions from Astor? That's pretty thin atmosphere. :g:

Lo, something stinketh. Just MHO of course.

Not sure about that - looks like a highly reflective almost mirror finish on a polished wood surface makes it look double-height, intentional or not.

To be honest, there is an odour of sorts about the whole auction and seller, but then I only posted this for THAT photo alone :blink:

It just makes you wonder.

Call me a skeptic, but these things don't just fall from the sky.

The more I think about this, the more I think you're spot on.

My superdome came in little opaque wax baggie with the green Rollie logo on - exactly how crystals were supplied back in the 70s (unlike the later transparent baggies with red logo).

I find it hard to believe that this jumbo pack is anything but a job lot of (admittedly accurate) generic T39 superdomes. The attempt to convey authenticity by using easily obtainable Rollie ephemera as a backdrop only helps strengthen that view.

:g:

It just makes you wonder.

Five years ago I was emailing ( ) about some MBW purchases and I commiserated that a bezel for my 6536 was impossible to find. I ventured that THAT is where the big, easy money would be in the future... good quality aftermarket parts.

Bingo. Two years later, bezels are everywhere.

Two years ago I was emailing ( ) about the money to be made in rep tropic 39 crystals. The light came on in his eyes and he got reallllllllllll quiet.

Two years later, unobtainable tropic crystals are everywhere.

Call me a skeptic, but these things don't just fall from the sky.

Bob. You're a skeptic :bangin:

• 2 weeks later...