When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's the next big thing? Watch wise.

cougaree

I have been on RWG for the last two years. Thanks to everyone, I have learned a lot about watches, especially the ones that make my eyes sparkle. It's a lot more fun knowing more about watches that just simply buy, wear and collect.

Over the last two years, it's just very interesting to see that certain watch goes in and out of fashion here. I mean when I started here, I was interested primarily the UPO, Seamaster 2254.50 and SOSF. Everyone was talking about them, comparing them and franken them... they were quite popular. Then the interest died down a bit. The Pam stuff were pretty hot for a while also. It seemed to me that at that time if you post any pam stuff for sale, you would get a buyer. I'm sure a lot of our dealers made some fortune at that time... then it went away. Rollie DSSD never really took off as much, I think what killed them other than the size for some people was the fact that too many versions were introduced, the factory never got it right in the first two tries. There were certainly limits for people's patience. Breitling SOH, Rolex Milgauss were never really took off neither in my opinion. There were some interests with them but not quite up there as the UPO and fish. WM9 YM was hot around the end of last year, but then... I don't hear about them very often now days. Suppose Omega Ploprof could be hot if not for its crystal issue. Breitling B01 could be hot if everyone starts liking the funky pearl.

So what's the next big thing? Any thoughts? I'm not trying to ask you to predict the future, but I think it's certainly interesting to hear what you have to say about it.

Good question. I just replied in another thread that there have been very few watches that interest the masses.

What might be the "next big thing"? I don't know... it first have to happen in the gen world. It's pretty silent there too.

DSSD, PloProf and B01 are kinda "love or hate" watches. Design wise they don't have similar mass appeal as UPO and Steelfish.

It's also noticeable how little interest the newest Rolex models generate. Not just here but also in the gen forums. I mean, who is overly excited about the 2010 fat lugs Sub? Or the Day-Date II? Not many. I absolutely adore the classics but I think the new Rolexes are simply BORING.

At first I hated the Breitling B01. But now I like it. Weird, eh? Actually it's quite bold and interesting design. I'd be all over the TAG Grand Carrera too, but I don't trust the rep movement.

Another factor is that most our veteran members have collected pretty much all watches they ever wanted. Very happy position, really but every now and then you simply need your fix. :)

I'm very glad to see renewed interest in vintage Rolexes e.g. Puretime's Subs and Josh's recent 1655. I hope that continues in the near future, and that some niche reps -say, the Tudor Monte Carlo or the older Rolex GMTs- become more mainstream and affordable. (By "niche" I mean that they are presently difficult/expensive to put together, not that they would be of limited interest.) Speaking of niche, I was a bit disappointed that the Sinn rep line seems to have fizzled. The U's were great pieces, but it doesn't seem like there were sufficient sales to warrant replicating other models. I still want my cheap 656!

I have no idea what the next big thing will be, but here's what they COULD be: Imagine if a "1:1, AAA, original-watch-dissected" rep of the TAG-Heuer (or just old Heuer) Monaco were released? Or a proper Speedmaster? I'd buy every one of its Special Edition offshoots! Yes, even the hideous Moon to Mars!

Watches that would be instant big sellers:

Speedmaster Moon watch with correct spacing (7750 subdial tricompax mod)

Rolex Daytona "Zenith" (7750 subdial tricompax mod)

Rolex 1675 GMT Master

TAG Heuer Monaco

Breitling Navitimer (correct slide rule & 2xAR)

Planet Ocean 42mm (with double AR)

TAG Link Day-Date Chronograph decently repped with 2xAR, and not half-assed like the current one

NEW-RELEASE-TAG-HEUER-LINK-CHRONOGRAPH-TIGER-WOODS-RED-LE-1.jpg

I'd be the first one to get the "Fighters" Navi if that was available. And I think it'd be really hard to resist the Monaco, Link Chrono and 1675 too.

Another factor is that most our veteran members have collected pretty much all watches they ever wanted. Very happy position, really but every now and then you simply need your fix. :)

i can totally relate to this bt ... i own every rep that i want. the only big thing i'd like to see repped right now is the pam 312. good topic!

Watches that would be instant big sellers:

Speedmaster Moon watch with correct spacing (7750 subdial tricompax mod)

Rolex Daytona "Zenith" (7750 subdial tricompax mod)

Rolex 1675 GMT Master

TAG Heuer Monaco

Breitling Navitimer (correct slide rule & 2xAR)

Planet Ocean 42mm (with double AR)

TAG Link Day-Date Chronograph decently repped with 2xAR, and not half-assed like the current one

NEW-RELEASE-TAG-HEUER-LINK-CHRONOGRAPH-TIGER-WOODS-RED-LE-1.jpg

I'd be the first one to get the "Fighters" Navi if that was available. And I think it'd be really hard to resist the Monaco, Link Chrono and 1675 too.

+1, I have to agree strongly with this.

I would like to add that "Vintage could be the new black". (Look at the response to the new Tudor at Basel). I think the designs that have just come out from Rolex, Breitling, etc, were all on the drawing board pre-recession. These designs are too late IMHO. I think the vintage watch-- these days comes off as understated and financially frugal if they were gen. Also, I think slimmer dress watches are going to make a come back. (I have been wearing a 1603 DateJust since Saturday, and I am amazed how it works with anything I am wearing-- from dress cloths to shorts & t-shirt)

Observation: I travel for work quite a bit. I spend a lot of time in airports where watch spotting is quite fun and easy. My last trip saw very few luxury brands, in fact next to the mass market Casio/Seikos, "Hamilton" was the most seen amongst fellow travelers and suits, followed by quartz TAGs.

Good point Ronin.

Those vintages are a whole different world and I'd say they generate at least 60-70% of the interest in the Rolex section. But if they were great out of the box, would the interest go down? I mean, all the excitement of building, hunting for parts, etc.

Back in 2004 when I first arrived at TRC, everyone was talking about the 16610. Now the WM9 is so good that there's very little modding left. Swap the gen insert there and wear it. Boring... almost like buying the gen. :D

If you go to the dealers' sites you constantly see new reps of obscure brands like Roger Dubuis, Mont Blanc, Cartier, Sinn and then those gold & diamond DateJusts, GMT's. All fine brands and there must be a market for all of them... someone's buying them but not our membership. That's for sure.

All popular models have been repped. The community is "almost ready". Now we just have to enjoy the watches that we have collected. Is it really that bad? :)

If the rep movement makers came up with a different subdial spacing for the A7750, it would be a very interesting new rep world! A correct speedy & daytona would be amazing!

I really love your list BT. If they came out with a decent 1675, Monaco, Daytona & Speedy Moon Watch, I would definitely buy them all :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@Ronin - I love my Datejust. I wear it pretty much every weekend. Jeans, Shorts, Casual, Dressy. Doesn't matter. It's a classic looking watch that is just plain comfortable! If I didn't work in tech during the week, I would wear it everyday, but I really don't want to scratch it up too much.

Next big thing?

whatever wm9 makes next, be it the PAM111, GMTc or, hopefully, the Daytona Zenith.

But that is aaaages away :)

If Rolex can release a Pepsi GMT, that would be huge.

The Tudor Chrono has made me drool, but I wish they did not drop the cyclops. If the Tudor get's repped, new or old, I can see that causing a stir.

Still waiting for the 7753 rep that was rumoured and the HBB V1 maker is supposedly going to release some better quality pams. I would like to see a tudor blue snowflake repped.

Really if you look back over the past year or so, really nothing much exciting to me has come down the pike. I sort of move back and forth from reps to gen and back again. When I was very active on this forum and the old TRC a few years ago, it seemed like the recurring theme was "bigger is better". Oversize watches were very popular. PAM's at 44 MM were the new standard size. my feelings then as now was the oversize thing was a fad and would lose popularity as soon as the "Celebrities" decided that watches as big as a pie plate were no longer the "in' thing. I think this is coming to pass. The average size person just can't pull off a 48-50mm diameter watch. they aren't comfortable for the most part and they look odd on the average size wrist.

So what's going to be the next big thing, who knows. I believe that the vintage watches will continue to remain popular. I would love to see a really good Tudor Monte Carlo that was reasonably priced. Omega Moon watch I guess, but I already own a genuine that gets worn about twice a year, so no interest from me. Outside of the Rolex GMT IIC, which I love and wear about 75% of the time, most of the contemporary Rolexes don't interest me much at all.I would love to see a really nice Tudor 7922 big crown, a GMT IIC with a ceramic Pepsi bezel (but only if Rolex does it first).And as far as dressier watches,two of my favorites are the Maurice lacroix Double Retrograde and the Ulysse Nardin GMT +- Big Date.

I believe that most folks are reverting back to a simpler less ostentatious life style, some of us by necessity, some because the current state of affairs terrifies us and we are becoming more and more conservative in our ideas, dress, spending and daily lives, which probably is a very good thing.When I was 45 I owned a couple of genuine 18k Rolex Day/dates. 20+ years later, I have absolutely no interest in that watch, and wouldn't wear one even if someone gave it to me as a gift.

I have to agree and disagree with you on the large watches, Panerai153 :) I just don't see the size of the watch ever coming down. But I also don't see the size going bigger than 50mm neither. There are more and more people don't wear watches any more, the current trend for watches will probably last for a long time.

As for the large watches, I think the actual dimensions of the watch doesn't really determined its wrist presence. The factors determine the wrist presence are the actual dial size, dial color, finish of the case, whether the lugs are straight or curved and the width between the lugs. For example, I use to have a LACO manual wind sports ETA 6498 movt. It's only 42mm wide, but it has straight lugs, smaller width between lugs (only 20mm), flat case, thus it wears very big and uncomfortable to wear. My SA black steel on the other hand is very comfortable to wear and it's 48mm wide I believe.

I agree with everybody that most of the popular gen have been replicated already, so it's getting harder for any new reps to impress us now.

I hope the rep factory stops using A7750 on all automatic chronograph watches though. If the gen uses ETA 2892 with chronograph complications, they should build the rep using this setup also. I don't mind if they have to use clone movement or not, but at least the case will be more accurate.