When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sea Dweller 16600 - Are there any good options out there

txcollector

The SSD has been out for 3-4 years. Super Sea-Dweller. I believe Josh even carries a SSD Lite w/ the asian 21j movt. These come out of the noob factory and are decent reps, not perfect, but decent. Use the search function, lots been written on them.

Yes the Super Sea-Dweller is a VERY good rep. Shave the crown guards a little bit and you're good to go. The stock crown is prettty good and has a gen size tube. You would swap out the bezel insert also and thats about all it needs. I've had one for years and its a very accurate rep. Its the only 16600 with the correct thickness case, bezel and gen looking HEV. They make a version 1 and a version 2, the V2 has a thicker bezel and bettter bracelet screws.

dizz

Crystal and rehaut are disappointing

Indeed.

There is nothing "super" about that replication, it was a big disappointment and the crystal/rehaut profile looks fundamentally wrong. The SELs look like shite too (at least on that rep in the picture). End pieces are rounded and there is no recess... probably bit of a "hit and miss" though.

Gen on the left, rep on the right.

dwelleruz4.jpg

I think it's actually the WORST Rolex rep that ever came out from the Noobfactory.

The rehaut doesnt bother me all that much. I dont care for the big etched crown though :thumbdown:

For the price, the super sea-dweller is the best version made thus far and it can be modded to be better.

Has anyone even seen pics of this WM9 sea-dweller? Even pre-production pics? The pics on his site are of the gen rolex that they apparently used for the replication process. I heard they were just waiting on the dials to be reprinted. Has anyone even seen the case or bracelet or anything?? It seems like a phantom project that doesnt exist. Wasnt it supposed to be released like a year ago? hahaha

dizz

I have to agree with Dizzy on this. We all know BT doesn't like the SSD, but it's only a rep! It has it's flaws as he has aptly pointed out, but it's the only game in town at this point! And with a few mods, it can be a very dependable beater.

Also, it's important to keep the price in perspective- an SSD w/ eta will run $200-300. If the WM9 SD ever shows up, it will run $600.

This is a current Noobfactory SSD pic .. any improvements over the older Cartel pics? Rehaut a little wokky maybe? Altho that could be an optical illusion .. look at it at 6 o'clock .. a lot less angled than 12 o'clock appears.

6435-41203-thickbox.jpg

We all know BT doesn't like the SSD

Some years ago a lot of people would have deliberately killed their whole family for a 16600 like the SSD. So I don't know if words like "[censored]" apply.... (Especially as we all know that the SEL's look way better in the flesh. At least on mine they do.)

I also don't know if I would be willing to fork out 600 something on a WM9 SD.

Because if the ROLEX font on the dial SUCKS like on each and every WM9 out there I had to change the dial to eliminate a flaw much more visible than the "oh so bad rehaut" of the current SSD.

Edited by www_watch

I though that the WM9 sub dials were the best? I have a v3 and its the best I have ever seen and I have had them all....noob to TW best, MBW etc. The noob dial was the best prior to WM9 but always had the out in left field "S" that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Even the WM9 models need to be modded :thumbdown: (CG;s, crown, bezel insert etc) so I'd rather start with a $200 base than a $600 base. I still fail to see why the WM9 is $600 but thats just me. I personally think its WAY overpriced. I guess it depends how picky you are. Rehaut thickness and hand stacks and all that crap doesnt bother me. Its very minor when you look at the big picture. The big tells on a Rolex sport watch are going to be: In no specific order...

These are things you can see from arms length away

- Crown size and accuracy

- Rehaut depth and wokkyness

- crown guards

- Bracelet (SEL etc)

After that its (close up inspection)

- dial quality and accuracy

- crown position

- crystal height, engraved crown

- rehaut width

- bezel pearl etc etc etc

These lists are just an example.. some things are more important for some people, but these are sort of my guidelines. For me, this isnt a game of perfection... I try to make a rep accurate enough so i can wear it every day and be happy with it and not have to worry about the avg 'watch guy' calling me out while its on my wrist. After all, how often do you hand your watches over to jewellers or WIS's for closer inspection??? I bet you could take a super sea-dweller out of the box, take it to any jeweller that doesnt sell high end watches and they would swear it was gen (without opening it). i think sometimes we get too excited and forget how good the replicas of today really are :)

Like we always say, if you expect perfection and want a watch you can wear into an AD and get away with it, the buy a gen, because a rep will obviously never make you happy.

Buy, trade, collect, modify, learn and most importantly HAVE FUN! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

[Edited for spelling]

Edited by Dizzy

And as for this WM9 Sea-dweller, for those who paid money a year ago or more.. I would be [censored] off and wondering why NOBODY has any answers about this watch and we havent sven seen any pre-production pics like we used to get with the 16610 from them. It seems like every 3 or 4 months we get an update saying its going to be another 3 or 4 months.... :thumbdown:

After all he said like 6 months ago he was waiting on the dial manufacturer? How long does it take someone to make up a couple hundred dials so he can fill some pre-orders??? When i actually see this watch i think i will honestly be surprised because as of right now i dont think it exists :) Plus it will be a version 1, so it will have flaws anyways, thats why we have a WM9 16610 Version 3 now hahahaha!

Im not trying to make fun of WM9, i just think there are too many customers waiting far too long without any answers.

dizz

Even the WM9 models need to be modded :thumbdown: (CG;s, crown, bezel insert etc) so I'd rather start with a $200 base than a $600 base. I still fail to see why the WM9 is $600 but thats just me. I personally think its WAY overpriced. I guess it depends how picky you are. Rehaut thickness and hand stacks and all that crap doesnt bother me. Its very minor when you look at the big picture. The big tells on a Rolex sport watch are going to be: In no specific order...

These are things you can see from arms length away

- Crown size and accuracy

- Rehaut depth and wokkyness

- crown guards

- Bracelet (SEL etc)

Of your top 4 the V3 has the best CG and rehaut of any other rep sub. And you cant mod the rehaut! Aside from the early MBW which had solid mid links the end links on my v3 are the best...nice and tight and recessed. The crown on my v3 is certainly one of the best rep crowns I have seen.

Well guys, if you think SSD is a good rep, go for it then.

I don't think it's good at all (by today's RWG "anal retentive" standards)... :D but it's your money.

And it's also true that different flaws bother different people. For me the fundamentally wrong looking crystal/rehaut combo kills the SSD... because it's exactly the thing that visually separates Sea-Dweller from Submariner 16610.

The gen rehaut has 3 "protuberances" and it's very thick and noticeable.

RMSD01-face.jpg

Stephane owned both gen and the rep (for a day or so) so he might offer his opinion here.

And yeah, SELs are completely hit'n'miss on all Noobfactory Rollies. I should know that, I've owned 15-20 of them.

And I've bought crap reps too... never hesitated to call them bad, either. I have always offered my objective opinion if someone asks. But then it's just an opinion... nothing more.

You can definatly see the rehaut thickness in your pic BT, and it sure is a big difference comparerd to the rep. Dont get me wrong BT, without your opinion, we wouldnt know what to buy half the time, and im sure your reviews have changed the way a lot of watches have been improved over the years. I know a lot of the dealers respect your reviews and info is passed along to the factories. It takes someone to come out and say "this rehaut sucks" or "these crown guards are rediculous" otherwise reps would never imrpove :thumbsupsmileyanim: