When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ugly high end watches

brandwatch

I hope I don't offend anyone with this post. I dealize that taste is subjective.

Some day I would like to own a Patek. Only problem, I have yet to find a Patek that I would rate any higher than "just OK" in terms of looks. Many of them I find to be rather ugly. Same is true for AP. By contrast, with VC, ALS, JLC and Breguet I have no problem finding numerous pieces that I love to look

at.

Does anyone else find Patek to be uninspiring in terms of appearance?

I kind of like the PP Nautilus, but never liked it enough to actually buy a rep. At the end of the day, I guess I just don't like Genta's designs. APs don't do anything for me either. There are one or two models I like, but mostly, I just think they're really ugly and overly cluttered dials. Likewise, the Hublot Big Bang has never appealed to me either...

I hope I don't offend anyone with this post. I dealize that taste is subjective.

Some day I would like to own a Patek. Only problem, I have yet to find a Patek that I would rate any higher than "just OK" in terms of looks. Many of them I find to be rather ugly. Same is true for AP. By contrast, with VC, ALS, JLC and Breguet I have no problem finding numerous pieces that I love to look

at.

Does anyone else find Patek to be uninspiring in terms of appearance?

Why would you want to own a Patek when you find their designs uninspiring? Why not get a watch you like for its aesthetic appeal and functions, rather than because of the label? An expensive ugly watch is still ugly... And Patek's cache lies in clever marketing along with genuine materials and labour costs, in-house movements, sounds like you want to buy into the story of Patek Phillippe but not any of the watches themselves... The Germans have a word, it's called 'Markenschwein' ;p

Never been a big fan of the real high end watches and their design. There are exceptions though... Patek and JLC have some great looking dress watches. Not my style though. But you gotta admire Patek, Breguet, JLC and VC for their horological achievements.

I don't think an average guy like me would even feel comfortable with a $200K tourbillon (even if I could afford one, which I don't). I'll leave that stuff to Jetmid.

What do you guys think of Girard-Perregaux? It seems like very unpopular but i like some of their models, like this one ww.tc

Im considering getting this one but not sure yet, retail is around 10k but can be found online new for around 5k. Not bad for a watch with in-house movt + complications and 200+ years history?

(not my pic)

[url=http://img210.imageshack.us/i/gpimage1246581.jpg/]gpimage1246581.jpg[/url

Speaking of Patek, if you buy a watch just to have "the label", a rep of that brand is a very sad possession. Worse than going to bed with a picture of Halle Berry.

Speaking of Genta,

I love the look of a G. Genta designed watch.

I own several, never wear any of them.

Go figure.

Speaking of Patek, if you buy a watch just to have "the label", a rep of that brand is a very sad possession. Worse than going to bed with a picture of Halle Berry.

Speaking of Genta,

I love the look of a G. Genta designed watch.

I own several, never wear any of them.

Go figure.

Interesting, is there any reason they don't see wrist time? When I had a larger collection, I very rarely rotated the watch I was wearing, so many simply never saw much wrist time, is this why your Genta-designed watches don't get worn?

My first G.Genta was a gen Omega Double Eagle Chrono, possibly my favorite dial, but the bracelet is integral to the case and just doesn't sit right on my wrist.

My MBW PP Nautilus is a gorgeous watch, fits under a dress shirt cuff perfectly and I could wear it anywhere and never be called out. Comfortable and classy. Just a little to prissy and I seldom wear my good suits (the brands that say a PP is completely appropriate) anymore.

My MBW APROO was my favorite watch when I first got it. Daily beater for several months, even considered buying a used gen. Then the economic downturn "touched" me like a 2x4 so the gen idea vaporized and the seconds @ 9 issue for the MBW started to bug me.

Had to have the HBB with all the chatter on the board, wore it 3 times, try it on every week or two but never wear it.

I keep hoping that my feelings will change, but doubt that they will. The first reasonable offer for any of them without the hassles of listing and they are most likely gone.

Also I basically decided that I love my Rollies and IWC's, between them is 80% wrist time.

My first G.Genta was a gen Omega Double Eagle Chrono, possibly my favorite dial, but the bracelet is integral to the case and just doesn't sit right on my wrist.

My MBW PP Nautilus is a gorgeous watch, fits under a dress shirt cuff perfectly and I could wear it anywhere and never be called out. Comfortable and classy. Just a little to prissy and I seldom wear my good suits (the brands that say a PP is completely appropriate) anymore.

My MBW APROO was my favorite watch when I first got it. Daily beater for several months, even considered buying a used gen. Then the economic downturn "touched" me like a 2x4 so the gen idea vaporized and the seconds @ 9 issue for the MBW started to bug me.

Had to have the HBB with all the chatter on the board, wore it 3 times, try it on every week or two but never wear it.

I keep hoping that my feelings will change, but doubt that they will. The first reasonable offer for any of them without the hassles of listing and they are most likely gone.

Also I basically decided that I love my Rollies and IWC's, between them is 80% wrist time.

That's cool that it's a variety of reasons, rather than just any single reason :) I'd not realized that the Double Eagle was a Genta design, but now you mention it, the signature style is definitely there :)

FUNNY!!!!!

My favorite watches are all the ones you guys hate.

Genta designs rule IMO. I guess that's what makes the world go round.

World's most beautiful watches:

Nautilus

Aquanaut

Royal Oak

and the FM Casablanca.

I own all of them.

I guess the Rolex's are the standard in the beauty category. Duh.

Or maybe the Nardin's.

Edited by jeff g

FUNNY!!!!!

My favorite watches are all the ones you guys hate.

Genta designs rule IMO. I guess that's what makes the world go round.

World's most beautiful watches:

Nautilus

Aquanaut

Royal Oak

and the FM Casablanca.

I own all of them.

I guess the Rolex's are the standard in the beauty category. Duh.

Or maybe the Nardin's.

Rolexs weren't designed to be beautiful, they were designed to be functional :) The ones which they have designed to (try and be) beautiful, ie with all the tacky bling and gems all over them, just look disgusting :lol:

PS For the record, I don't 'hate' the Nautilus exactly, I just don't like it enough to want to buy one :drinks: