When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New Purchase. A Movement Question.

By-Tor

I just negotiated a fair deal with Kenzo/Watchmaster of this watch... and bought it. The watch is bit of a hybrid with thick SD bezel... but when I saw it just had to buy it... it's simply the best looking Sub I've ever seen. I love the no-dates... and especially the "square marker" Tudor which is a masterpiece. For some strange reason I always wanted a Tudor Sub rep... and favor it over Rolex. Yeah I know, ít's weird since the genuines can be found at fair prices... but like Ubi says...where's the fun in that? ;)

The question: Can someone identify the movement? It looks a standard ETA 2824 to me...but I wonder why it says "23 jewels on the rotor". Actually I couldn't give a rat's ass if it's genuine or not... I'd just like to know... out of curiosity. I'm 100% sure the case, bezel (both standard WM/MBW parts) and hands aren't genuine... but jury is still out on the movement.

121284-21541.jpg

Thanks guys.

Edited by By-Tor

From the picture it looks like it could be a 2836 or 2824 as the click wheels for the autowinder look like they have jewels on them...

Strange how the movement is marked "Water Resistant", never knew you could have a movement water resistant, though you needed a case around it to do that job...

What does it say under the balance?

RG

Edited by ziggyzumba

Edit: Found Ziggy's answer.

I haven't received the watch yet. Actually I'm delighted that it has a higher beat movement. The movement isn't genuine then... that's for sure... unless it's taken from a modern Tudor Hydronaut (I doubt it).

Here's a 2842 image I found from Ofrei. Looks like it has markings "WATER RESISTANT" as well. Perhaps it's designed for glass back watches?

121305-21539.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

It says "23 Jewels" because that's what's on the rotor...I could install a rotor that says "29 Jewels" in place of the one you have there...

Looking at the movement, it's a fairly new 2836 or 2824 as the click wheels for the autowinder are both jewelled, meaning it's a 25 jewel model...

Strange how the movement is marked "Water Resistant", never knew you could have a movement water resistant, though you needed a case around it to do that job...

What does it say under the balance?

RG

no The Zigmeister

sorry mistake :whistling:

it is special swatch movement... engraving water resistant is right

Since it looks like a 2842 movement with beat rate of 21.600... it would be correct for the vintage Rolex Submariner. But I wonder if the vintage Tudors all had 28.800 bph?

Either way, according to the review it's a good and reliable movement. That's all I care.

PS: Funny thing. Searched this watch and found this. The site looks shady to say at least... but the dial & hands look identical with the one I just purchased. The ad states "Calibre 40 automatic". Price: 700 Euros. :blink:

http://www.inforeloj.com/spa/item/ART00296.html

Once again shows - take care when buying those Frankens that were supposed to exist - with gen 1570 or 3035 movements... can all be reps. Or the Valjoux 72 movements - maybe also improved reps... talking about the stuff luckyyy showed...

I purchased the watch mainly because I loved how it looks. I got a fair price too. It's virtually a MBW rep with a Tudor dial at worst... so I don't see any problem here.

WM/Kenzo didn't make any false claims about it, either.

Great purchase, Bytor! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I was admiring that beauty at TRC.

I initially thought about locating an MBW or WM 1680 but decided on a gen vintage Tudor sub instead. I love the watch. :wub: I rarely see one on a wrist (as opposed to its famous relative) which is a nice plus, IMO.

Looking forward to your traditional detailed review on ths guy.

Enjoy!

Jet

@Olli: No probs mate. ;)

@Kingkite: No, I believe that watch isn't genuine. Looks similar to mine, eh?

Thanks all. Yeah, I always wanted the "military" no-date model with snowflake hands. I find it amazing how little information of Tudor there is available. But I believe this gen Tudor model is heavily based on Rolex 5513. Probably identical, with just different hands, dial and movement of course.

121589-21470.jpg

I'll do the review when I receive the watch... still trying to dig up more information.

Hi By tor,

i saw this watch too...

Looks nice...

I think the movement is an old Eta 2824...

Its not a genuine Tudor movement.....

I have an old Tudor Submariner with date an mine looks different...

It´s a franken Tudor sub..

I think is a mix of some watchparts...

but looks nice...

RG Tribal