When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2010 Rolex Explorer 1

Member X

Hey all,

I was recently lucky enough to get an awesome deal from Robert (PrestigeWatchCo) as part of his Reseller Prices offer. I'm aware that he's not a dealer on here but I can only say that these watches I bought from him are among the best quality I've bought, up there with the Breitling SOH V2s that are apparently now available again B)

On RWG1.1, Robert had listed the Explorer 1 with a 21j movement and also with the Asian 2836 version.

I only really wanted the 2836 version and didn't particularly have the money for the remaining watches of the 3 watches/$250 spend required to secure the Reseller price, so I was lucky to have a new member on the board ('inverness') be willing to jump on the deal with me, and together we ordered one of the 21j and one of the 2836 movement, as well as a quartz Tag 1887 Chrono.

We worked through the costs and options on shipping from Robert and onwards shipping from me, so we paid fair proportions of all the costs, and the order was duly placed and funds dispatched.

A week later, I had a card through the door on my arrival home from work.

These were contained within :)

20100805005.jpg

I am not going to review the Tag as it is not something I have any idea on, but I will detail below my thoughts on the Explorer 1s.

They are exactly the same bar the movement (I will therefore refer to 'it' rather than 'them' from now on!) and they feel so well built that I think they would be good value at $250 for the 2836, nevermind the $127 they're listed as under the Reseller price. I believe they come from the 'Milgauss Factory' that has been mentioned before as producing watches that punch above their weight for their price :)

The crown is a little bit 'grindy' while unscrewing it and doing it up again, but once it's 'broken in' a bit it will be a good, positive fit.

The crystal is flawless, and the etched crown is virtually invisible in all but a few lighting conditions.

The bracelet is a great weight. It's a little bit sharp on the edges but it's not a problem, and it has a tight clasp. The brushed finish is the first brushed finish I have, and it's a refreshing change to not have to worry about scratching polished midlinks! Screws between the links are a good fit and not too loose but not too stiff to do up.

Endlink fit is TIGHT - no movement here at all.

The rehaut engraving is virtually spot on - if the engraving was rotated literally half or one degree anticlockwise it would line up 99.9% perfectly :o

Lume is average rep lume, unfortunately, but then you can't have everything!

So, apart from the rehaut being the tiniest of tiny amounts out, I would definitely call this a super rep in the 2836 version. I just handed it to a colleague and he said it felt and looked like a gen!

As for some pictures, here you go :)

dscf4827.jpg

dscf4828c.jpg

dscf4829.jpg

dscf4835y.jpg

dscf4841.jpg

dscf4842w.jpg

dscf4843t.jpg

dscf4845u.jpg

dscf4852a.jpg

dscf4853a.jpg

dscf4856.jpg

dscf4857.jpg

dscf4865.jpg

I think it's stunning, and will definitely be on my regular wearing list :tu:

But... what about the movement difference?? I hear you ask...

Well, the blue-wrapping one is the 21j, the one with no wrapping round the head is the 2836:

dscf4852b.jpg

dscf4853b.jpg

Can you count the beats?

The 2836 is smoooooth as you like, completely gen-like. 21j is still good - obviously won't be as close as the 2836 but as it was $58.40, it really was bargain of the century :)

I managed to get a short video of them next to each other as I figured not many other people will buy both and it's therefore a great opportunity for a comparison. I'm hoping it will work - on my phone it was a bit jerky, but I can't tell if it's the phone or the stupid network... See what you think.

http://yfrog.com/jn20100806006z

Overall, this watch in 2836 is an utter bargain at the full price of $169, and even more so at the Reseller price of $127.

At $99 for the 21j it's probably one of the best value watches out there. And at $58.40 Reseller prices, I think Robert needs his head examined... :lol:

I would recommend this watch without hesitation, whether 2836 or 21j. 9.9 out of 10 from me!! :tu:

I must thank inverness for coming in on this deal with me - he has been a great 'noob', communicative and understanding and a really great bloke B)

Hey thanks for this great review! I couldn't tell from a lot of the dealer pics that the new 2010 model actually had the proper polished 3 - 6 - 9 layout. The pics all looked like they still had the older lumed numerals.

Watch looks fantastic and that is a great buy!!! I definitely want one of the 2836 high beat ones for sure! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

As above, they are a tiny tiny amount out - but as they are the same amount out all the way round, you could pass it as gen with a manufacturing fault - I'm aware some slip through the net :)

Quick question - are these the correct size as well? The gen 2010 model I believe is 39mm

I've just had a quick measure with a tape measure - it's no calipers but I'd say 39.5 to 40mm absolute max?

This is a bit off topic but Is the tag 1887 available in a 7750 or only a quartz model? If you could PM me his site that would be great as well.

Not sure about that! Your best bet is to contact Robert off RWG1.1: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showforum=73 (hope it's ok to link to it!)

but it should be noted that all the dealers have access to the same factories so anyone can get it if it's available! :)

Ok, day two of wearing it...

20100807002a.jpg

Still very happy with it, a very versatile watch good for both formal and casual B)

The rotor is a little bit noisy with big arm motions, and you can feel the weight moving round a bit, but it's far from bad :)

Rehaut could do with being a bit 'cleaner' before being assembled but it's not really a big issue, and the crown etching is a fraction rotated from its 6 position, but these are minor things only noticed when looking up close!

Lume is green and usual rep effort so a relume would be great, but that can wait.

Overall I would still very much recommend these :)

(I'll have to check the link to the gen pics tomorrow when I'm not heading to work in a minute!)

Further update:

Towards the end of day two, I noticed the watch was stopping intermittently... :(

The rotor is noise, noisier than it was when I got it now I think about it, and when I tip the watch forward and back I can hear a little 'click' - so I think the rotor is loose, therefore not winding, and moving against the case and movement.

I've stopped wearing it till I can get the back off to have a look at it as I don't want a loose screw to kill it entirely. I have a toolset coming from Australia so when it arrives I will be able to get the back off!

I'm gutted it's not working properly, I know we all have movement issues once in a while, it's just typical it's happened to a watch that I think I would actually buy the gen if I had the money - I just find it perfect in so many ways, and so versatile. I will be gutted if this one dies!

However, if I have to sort a new movement then I might as well get it relumed... LoL :lol:

By 'liter' do you mean 21j?

One of them is 21j (with the blue protective wrapping), the other is asian/clone ETA 2836.

I believe that these versions from Robert are from the Milgauss factory. The rehaut engraving appears different to (more accurate than) the 2836 on Josh's site, so I'm not sure if they are they same.

Either way, Robert's prices are the cheapest you will find, but he operates under different rules to other dealers.

If you are considering buying one, I would warn away from the '3131' movement as it is not very good quality, going from other posts I have read. Stick to clone 2836 if you want the correct sweep.

Nice watches, I do like the larger style Rolex's over the older 36mm versions. Shame the Asian clone seems faulty, hopefully it can be returned for repair? With luck it will just be the rotor screw, a common problem :)

Personally after reading the many, many terms and conditions I wouldn't buy, especially as the buyer assumes all the delivery risk, not worth it to save $20-30 or so, what with the 3 watch/$250 minimum order/value....