When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HE Valve

Epanoui

I was just having a PM discussion with someone who suggested that the Helium Escape Valve on genuine Sea-Dwellers pushes in just like the reps.

I was before under the impression that this "one-way" valve vented by letting gas out and slightly coming out. And that a genuine will not "push in" at all. Was I under the wrong impression about this?

I've tried to find the information online and it's extremely hard to search for and since it's used in diving there aren't any videos that I could find of it working.

Pushing in doesn't make sense as the water pressure would push the valve open and flood the watch.

HEV's are designed to let expanding gases escape from inside the watch, thus, it would be only logical to design a valve that opened outward. (at least this is how the vintage valves worked)

Cheers,

JJ

So if you have a working HEV on a rep does that mean it is water proof to swimm with or should one have it water tested??

Orrrrrrrr is it best to just have it sealed??? Thanks

Edited by stretchrunner

The DSSD HEV pushes in though. The gen doesnt push in.

Flex

And that is why you should seal them with epoxy or risk being very sad when your watch floods. Any DSSD with an HEV which pushes inwards is a disaster in waiting. Unfortunately almost all DSSDs have this false valve.

So if you have a working HEV on a rep does that mean it is water proof to swimm with or should one have it water tested??

Orrrrrrrr is it best to just have it sealed??? Thanks

Regardless of whether you have a helium valve or not, if you plan to wear your watch in water (swimming, showering, heavy rain, etc), you should have it pressure-tested (at least) yearly to be sure the case is sealed.

Thanks for you replies much appreciated....I will have it sealed then pressure tested. :victory:

• 1 year later...

Thanks Freddy. I got one of those on order with a 5513 Dial to complete the PreComex and finish a 1665(I like the idea of a working HEV in a watch) The reason I asked is that I got a working in sealed pack HEV and I plan on using it on the 16660 project, but need to confirm that it will fit. For the price, it was HARD not to get it.

E

HAHA Waiting for THAT part lol

The hands came in. I ordered a set of the vintage and white benz ones and the snowflake ones(I swear I have tooo many projects going on) I'm still waiting on ETA 5513 dial, Tudor signed rotor(for the flake project) and the aforementioned valve.

E

• 2 weeks later...

Look what the mailman dropped by this morning :D

64af97da.jpg

b379cb3e.jpg

77b8e968.jpg

The HEV is for the SSD project. I have the Gen crown and tube, gen insert and "3135" movement with correct DW. Just need to get the matte dial from Yuki(I like the early look better) and I think I will be ok.

The 8mm crown is for a 6538 military to finish that project.

The HEV will remain in the pack until I am ready. Anyone know the specs for drilling these?

E