When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ofrei Pearls (Bezel Luminous Dots)

dbutlerman

I think the pearl looks pretty good myself.

If the index markers on the dial have metal surrounds, then your pearl usually does as well. But if the index markers do not, then the pearl should not.

Metal pearl surrounds came around with the 16800 and 16660SD. The first 16800's and 16660's had matte dials w/ no metal surrounds. Around 1984 the dials where changed from matte dials to the modern style with white gold surrounds and gloss dials- which is the current dial also.

Not sure what it was about Ofrei's pearl that you did not expect, but they sell the same 1 that Rolex currently fits during service (albeit much cheaper).

I found the ofrei pearl to be quite green and plastic. Is the OEM replacement from Rolex the same color and texture? Is supposed to be a lumi service replacement?

I found the ofrei pearl to be quite green and plastic. Is the OEM replacement from Rolex the same color and texture? Is supposed to be a lumi service replacement?

That's the problem. the correct pearl for the 1680/1665 would be a tritium pearl. the Ofrei pearls are lumi. they are much "greener" than the tritium pearls after light exposure. i have the same problem with a genuine Tudor 9411/0 The original insert was replaced during a service several years ago. They replaced the insert with one that has a lumi pearl. It's whiter in the daylight and in the dark it's the only thing on the watch that glows. unfortunately, tritium pearls are pretty hard to come by and they aren't cheap. I can live with mine like it is, until a tritium comes along one day.

panerai153 - You are correct that the original pearls were tritium. However, there are no tritium pearls made anymore, so your best options are either the Ofrei pearl (which, as best as I can tell, is exactly the same pearl that comes with the modern insert that Rolex currently fits during service) or a gen (search ebay or the for sale section on a gen watch forum).