When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

thinking of parting with one of my gen's

craigb

hi all, thinking of selling my gen 16030 datejust, just wanted to know if anyone here on the board wanted it, if not can you point me in the right direction as to where to sell it. dont really like using ebay as its full of dealers giving stupid offers. also, what do you think i should sell for? it has no box or papers but was serviced in 2005 by the last owner.

it has a 3035 quick set movement, the case is in great condition with miner marks, (will polish out) the bracelet has some stretch but still tight.

sorry if the pic's are large.

thanks guy's and hope you can help.

craigb :thumbsupsmileyanim:

post-26251-004166200 1282218777.jpg

post-26251-034867000 1282218794.jpg

post-26251-042202400 1282218817.jpg

post-26251-034196600 1282218842.jpg

post-26251-055963000 1282218873.jpg

post-26251-089123700 1282218902.jpg

post-26251-005811600 1282218921.jpg

VRF- vintage rolex forum is a good place- they have a marketplace for sales. I figure this watch is worth $1500US give or take. It looks fine, don't know if the dial would help get a better price or not. Retail price could run $2000-2250. Service in 2005 means it could be due again for another service.

thanks for the advise alligoat, the dial is in mint condition but the plastic crystal (think its plastic anyway) does not do the watch any justice. ill have a look at vrf.

thanks jeejay it is nice but i want to start a franken sub, so it was either this one or my other datejust that has to go. cant part with my other one.

thanks

ill try and replace the crystal before it goes then, what did you mean about the dial? is it any good? or do you think it should be changed

The dial is fine, I just don't know if it would command a premium price or not. I wouldn't bother changing it.

ill try and replace the crystal before it goes then, what did you mean about the dial? is it any good? or do you think it should be changed

If it's a plastic crystal, you'll be able to re-finish it with a 4-sided nailfile and some toothpaste on a bit of kitchen roll :victory:

how do i do that? thanks :victory:

You want to get one of these (double sides, so 4 abrasive surfaces)

DSCN3283.jpg

Start with the pad numbered 1, and buff all over the crystal (working around the cyclops just requires a little caution, but would not be impossible) You want to buff the crystal till you can't really see any of the original scratches, and the entire crystal will appear 'frosted' and you won't really be able to see through it. Then move on to pad 2, and repeat the process. Same with pads 3 and 4, and by that time the crystal should be near pristine again. If you want to really take the polish to the next level, put a smear of toothpaste on the crystal (no where near as much as you would use when cleaning your teeth) and rub in tight, circular motions with either your thumb, or a bit of kitchen roll. Do that for maybe 4-5 minutes, then rinse under the cold tap, and it should be good as new :victory: Of course, if it's not a plastic crystal, then the above will not work :lol: