When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My modded PT DRSD 1665 on vacation last week

Mapman57

Based on a standard PT DRSD with low beat Swiss eta 2846, a lot of love and time has gone it to this, but not too many extra dollars, to get this look. Hope you guys like it so far?...........thanks to creation who got the project off the ground

This piece has rapidly become my favourite and daily wearer. Its a vintage, much worn but much loved look! Funny thing is I wear it for all manual jobs like gardening and DIY etc on the basis that an extra ding or scratch will add to the provenance.

"OK, so you wear a $10k watch to do the housework in......yeh right"!!!!;)

Whilst this is not an in depth review of the work completed; briefly, I have tried to replicate a 1974/75 looker, based around a gen picture set that I collected (one is enclosed below for reference).

The 1974 and 1975 Gens that inspired my look...

dred-013.jpg

My PT base DRSD has endured......

Endless ageing and softening to the case and bracelet (not too obvious on this limited picture set)

CGs shaved/shaped

Better shaped BK crown swapped in

Insert shaved and reseated in bezel - the shadow is harsh around the insert/bezel edge in these pics from the overhead sun, but there is no gap

insert lighlty aged/streaked to matt charcoal grey, in bleach

Pearl aged and reseated

Dial hour markers softened down a shade or two on the original PT dial to match the hands

PT silver date wheel with open 6's

Lug holes modded for 2mm bars

Crystal swapped out to T19

Its my very first vintage project watch and I personally love it!:D

Taking in the sun by the plunge pool.......damn I wish that I had got this water resistant in time to wear it in the water....:cool:

SDC12718.jpg

Had to swim and beach in my Gen Breitling 300M quartz diver (1998 purchase from AD)....whilst the $200 rep got 'wined and dined' every day/evening LOL :lol::rolleyes:

SDC12720.jpg

SDC12723.jpg

SDC12724.jpg

SDC12725.jpg

SDC12726.jpg

SDC12730.jpg

:munch:

that damn date window

So here is a $25,000 gen .... :whistling:

1403865_IMG-4913-edited-1.jpg

and here is a $200 PT rep pre bezel ageing........ :thumbsupsmileyanim:

drsd_06.jpg

I guess its just a case of how anal you wish to be about a 3 x 4 mm window at 20 paces?...or 3 feet down on your wrist for that matter? :clapping:

Point is taken, but if its that important to the individual, then you can go spend $4-800 on an aftermarket dial ....and maybe a movement swap and overlay and hands to go with it? But, it will still be a rep.

Personally speaking I would rather just have another project or franken on the go for that money............. :drinks:

Edited by PMMUTD68

Point is taken, but if its that important to the individual, then you can go spend $4-800 on an aftermarket dial ....and maybe a movement swap and overlay and hands to go with it? But, it will still be a rep.

Personally speaking I would rather just have another project or franken on the go for that money............. :drinks:

OR buy the MBK dial for $70

4851561082_04be8b3e9d.jpg

OR buy the MBK dial for $70

4851561082_04be8b3e9d.jpg

Thanks high... a much more sensible economic solution - do you know;

does it fit the PT case?

does it line up with the eta 2846 movement and especially the date wheel overlay?

is a DRSD version available?

looks like there could be movement/datewheel line up problems to me?

thanks for your guidance :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The MBW dial will line up with your datewheel. Some of the old MBW's even came with a 2846 ETA. I wonder if you can carefully file the date window on the PT to open it up a little bit...

The MBW dial will line up with your datewheel. Some of the old MBW's even came with a 2846 ETA. I wonder if you can carefully file the date window on the PT to open it up a little bit...

Sorry guys - can't seem to get the multi quote / response working???

Dizzy - thanks for the update on the MBW/eta 2846 fit.

PT dial window enlargement - with the state of my eyes and hands, its not a job for me :Jumpy:

Sometimes, the distortion from the domed crystal also effects how this looks. From some angles it looks wider!

But to be honest it never bothers me - the large Rep crown that was fitted (and is on most Rep Rolex divers) - thats another story....why do they do that???? YUK.....

Edited by PMMUTD68

I agree, no reason why they can't make proper crowns. You can make the rep crowns look more correct in the lathe but shortening it requires a corresponding amount to be removed from the tube so you often loose the internal O-rings but still have the crown seal and external O-ring.

Good looking watch!

I ran into a slight DW alignment problem w/ my PT1665 when I swapped over to an MBW dial. The first 1/3 of the month is fine, the second third is a little left but the last third is somewhat more noticeable. I never really checked out the PT dial because I swapped immediately

P1000285-2-1.jpg

I think it's in the printing of the DW because some days are up in the window and some are down. I just quit worrying about it- the watch is WR and I'm swimming and wadefishing w/ it just fine

Here's an old pic of the PT on the right w/ PT dial, old CN DRSD on the left- but it's the 5th of the month and the date lines up just fine- first 1/3 of the month!

P1000259.jpg

I ran into a slight DW alignment problem w/ my PT1665 when I swapped over to an MBW dial.

Here's an old pic of the PT on the right w/ PT dial, old CN DRSD on the left- but it's the 5th of the month and the date lines up just fine- first 1/3 of the month!

P1000259.jpg

Alli - I had always thought that there was a risk of that. It is just logical as everything is positioned off the centre, so if the window moves, or is enlarged, something has to give. But we talking <1mm and so ......the larger the numbers, the more chance of an issue - or have I got that back to front?

It would be great if you could add the comparison picture cos it does not appear to be here?

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

First pic is the PT 1665 with the MBW dial and 27 is slighly off position- last third of the month.

Second pic on right is original PT1665 w/ original dial- the 5 is perfectly positioned- but the first third of the month is also perfectly positioned with the MBW dial.

My 18 looks about like yours- too close to the left of the window!

Thanks Ali - yeh I see it all now. This confirms what I was thinking.

The MBW window is slightly further to the right of the dial and also a little wider.

Therefore, if you overlay it onto a standard PT 2846/datewheel set up - even more numbers will be offset to the left side of the window, just like the 18 is now. So a new datewheel, slightly larger in diameter for the printed area, to offset numbers to the right of the window is the solution - but who has, or makes these?

I am much like you, I dont care really, I'm just enjoying the watch as is and not trying to pass it off for a $25k gen!

Need to get it watertested/proofed now so that I can have as much fun in mine, as you do in yours! Mind you thats another story................ :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Eurotimez used to sell the MBW silver DW in the correct open 6's and 9's w/ the flat top 3's. Somebody over in the EU can also get them, can't remember who.

Mine is WR largely because jmb milled a custom retention ring for me and then I had to sand it on the inside to fit tightly. I used a T-39 domed crystal from GS. I also installed a gen crown and aftermarket tube, but your BK crown should work- just grease the seals. Grease the o-ring on the caseback, tighten it up and hopefully you're good to go. The HE valve is fake, so you don't have to worry about it!

The T-39 high dome isn't exactly correct for the GWSD, but I like it. It sure is easy to scratch though- need to order some polywatch!

P1000287.jpg

I spent around $400 on my watch and I'm very happy with it. It's not perfect, but it's a cool beater for the price.

• 4 weeks later...