When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yuki 1655 Case Build?

btocamelo

I seem to have this habit of researching a little, then buying a watch, and then researching a lot......so I have a recent addition to the family, a 1655 from a respected member...it has an old ca. 2007 case set, which I understand can take GEN parts. So I do more research to do some upgrades and I purchase a better dial with close to GEN "T Swiss T", a GEN 6mm Twinlock crown and Clark tube.

Now the research slope gets slippery.....I decide to venture into Yuki's website and find his 1655 case set build (w/custom serial number), dial and hands.......real nice stuff right there.

Now, the reason I have stayed away from GMT Rolex watches is because of that basterdized 2836 movement. One would figure that all this time has passed and the factories will at least offer a 2893-2 version in their GMT Rolex's.....yeah, I know it's a thinner movement and would require a different movement ring and there will be problems with the case tube and stem position.......but it is not beyond their expertise custom run cases for the 2893-2

So Yuki offers this nice 1655 set up, but it will only accept a 1570(5) movement......then from further research I realize that a decent working 1570 GMT movement is close to impossible to get for less than $2000 USD....if you can find one.

So what do you guys think......what's the best approach to building a decent 1655 with a 2893-2 or a 1570? Can a 2893-2 be properly dropped into any REP 1655 case set, and is there a hand set that fits without modding?

Here's the Yuki case....

ktkdMog7zlEyLBf.jpg

I purchased a yuki 1655 case when I was on a recent 1655 odyssey. This is all my opinion, but I was greatly disappointed. The gen tropic 116 crystal did not fit and the finish was not what I thought was pictured. I'm not sure if it is like the old 1655 with the sub case with 1655 bezel, but I had problems. Perhaps it was my general lack of watchmaking skills.

Fortunately, he/she accepted the case back and refunded my cash. In that sense, it may be worth a try to see if you have better luck.

I have a very resourceful modder where I am at and I tell you, my 1655 2893 project is an absolute nightmare. If you think about using Yuki dials for the 1655 project, you are going to need the taller cannon pins, hour wheels etc coz the standard on the 2893 will not be able to clear the dial. Yuki dials are thick.

That's just a start. You mugh have to customize the movt retainer rings. I am about to give up on this project. Any one wants a 2893-2 movt with some spare parts from ofrei. I'd give a good price.

BT, I don't understand your aversion to the GMT modified 2836-2- it's a fairly reliable movement. Sure it might need to be serviced, but that goes for any rep movement. You're jumping into uncharted waters w/ no guarantees and the prospect of spending $3K-4K, maybe more on a franken.

I think this new 1655 from Josh and the other collectors is a great option at a great price- just swap in some gen parts and away you go

http://www.1-pc8838.com/00rlex00101-vintage-explorer-1655-ssss-swiss-2836-p-8964.html

BT, I don't understand your aversion to the GMT modified 2836-2- it's a fairly reliable movement. Sure it might need to be serviced, but that goes for any rep movement. You're jumping into uncharted waters w/ no guarantees and the prospect of spending $3K-4K, maybe more on a franken.

I think this new 1655 from Josh and the other collectors is a great option at a great price- just swap in some gen parts and away you go

http://www.1-pc8838....836-p-8964.html

Alli....I agree that the 2836 is a reliable movement, but I don't particulary think the rigging of the parts to turn the 2836 into a GMT is all that great....and the biggest thing is the freely adjustable GMT hand....when we all know the GMT hand on 2893-2 and Rolex movements adjust by hour.....making the 2893-2 more realistic replacement.

I think that particular difference between the 2836-2 and the 2893-2 makes a world of difference....the 2893-2 is a true GMT movement and will probably give less headaches as time goes by.

Also, the finer quality finish of the 2893-2 compared to the 2836/2824 is noticeable when you wind a 2893/2892....it feels closer to winding feel of a 3035 or 3135 movement.

The 2893-2 is not that much more expensive to a 2836. The main problem is the 2893 being so much thinner than 2836....so it's no where near a direct swap.

A couple of years ago River had a late model Explorer II for sale with a 2893-2 movement- it would be a 16570 rep with the white EXPII dial and modern sapphire crystal, ran about $450 as I recall. That's the only time I recall seeing a 2893-2 movt in a rep. There's no doubt that the 289x series of eta movements are better than the 2824/2836 series, they're 15 years newer! Some of the WIS on other watch forums say they're just as good as the Rolex 3135 series.

Siesta181 makes some excellent points, flyingwedge relates how the Yuki cases of late just aren't measuring up and numerous others have echoed his findings here and on the other rep forums. Good luck on your quest and keep us posted.

the 2893-2 and 2836 differ in thickness by 1mm or so.....so a thicker DW overly and a taller CP & hour wheel would be required for the 2893-2 to swap into a current REP Rolex case that houses a 2836-2.......there are guys like (WM9) that produce Rolex cases that can use a 2824, 2892 and 3035/3135 movement...just not a 1655 case

is there a taller CP & hour wheel options for the 2893?

I have a spare Josh 1655 case I can sell you cheap, the movement dial and hands are unfortunatly no longer with us due to a combination of me, my watch tools and a couple of scotches... sad sad story... I think some epoxy was involved too... but on the plus side I did gain the bracelet to put on my 1680.

BT, here's a watch you might like- a MKII LRRP with a 2893-2. Needless to say Bill Yao copied the 1655.

http://www.mkiiwatch...mypage=cu01.htm

I've seen these watches on the second hand market sell in the $500 range

very cool find...looks like the movement and hand set are there....too bad he didn't dupe the case as well...then again, Rolex would have probably been all over him

where have you seen them 2nd hand...fleabay?

Yep, fleabay and maybe even here a year or 6 mos ago. This is definitely an updated case with sapphire crystal and 300m WR. These MKII watches are homage pieces, and excellent quality. His Kingston is a neat updated James Bond Rolex type of watch.

He used to sell dials and hands for eta's and Seikos, but I don't see those anymore. For $100 I was able to resurrect this old 6694 rep from Silix with a dial and hands- the SL is very good. This old Silix rep cost me $130 back in 2006 and has a gen eta 2836-2- the good old days!

The old rep:

Rolex6694jpg.jpg

The new watch:

rsz_p1000200_-_copy.jpg

the nice thing about the LRRP is no one will ever ask you if it's real!

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding is the 2893 uses a very similar GMT setup to the 2836 so I'm not sure what is meant by a proper GMT movement or adjusting by the hour, Take a look at the mechanism here - http://www.cousinsuk...A2893-1,2,3.pdf - no sign of any fancy gearing,the parts look very similar to a clone 2836 GMT I had stripped down on the bench last week.

Oh and based on recent experience with Yuki over an Explorer I case, dial and bracelet, I would give Yuki a wide berth, everything had to go back in the end as the case was not compatible with gen parts and the dial was frankly poor. The bracelet had 'Rolex' upside down on the clasp. What a load of crap frankly.

My understanding is the 2893 uses a very similar GMT setup to the 2836 so I'm not sure what is meant by a proper GMT movement or adjusting by the hour, Take a look at the mechanism here - http://www.cousinsuk...A2893-1,2,3.pdf - no sign of any fancy gearing,the parts look very similar to a clone 2836 GMT I had stripped down on the bench last week.

Oh and based on recent experience with Yuki over an Explorer I case, dial and bracelet, I would give Yuki a wide berth, everything had to go back in the end as the case was not compatible with gen parts and the dial was frankly poor. The bracelet had 'Rolex' upside down on the clasp. What a load of crap frankly.

2836 is not a true GMT movement...that is a basterdized modification made by REP manufacturers...

no doubt the 2836 is a very reliable movement, but in fit and finish cannot be compared to a 2893 movement....the 2893-2 is a true GMT movement designed by ETA and the 24 hand skips hour to hour as a true GMT hand should.

Also, the finer quality finish of the 2893-2 compared to the 2836/2824 is noticeable when you wind a 2893/2892....it feels closer to winding feel of a Rolex movement.

The main problem is the 2893 being much thinner than 2836....so it's no where near a direct swap.

2836 is not a true GMT movement...that is a basterdized modification made by REP manufacturers...

no doubt the 2836 is a very reliable movement, but in fit and finish cannot be compared to a 2893 movement....the 2893-2 is a true GMT movement designed by ETA and the 24 hand skips hour to hour as a true GMT hand should.

Also, the finer quality finish of the 2893-2 compared to the 2836/2824 is noticeable when you wind a 2893/2892....it feels closer to winding feel of a Rolex movement.

The main problem is the 2893 being much thinner than 2836....so it's no where near a direct swap.

Yes I understand the 2893 is designed to have an add on GMT function (in the 2893-2. the -1 and -3 are not GMT) whereas the 2836 GMT is a rep mod based as far as I can see on the 2893-2. I cannot see any mechanism in the 2893-2 to allow the 24 hour hand to skip. And there is no getting away from the fact it is too thin for the available cases though it is a higher quality movement undoubtedly.

Yes I understand the 2893 is designed to have an add on GMT function (in the 2893-2. the -1 and -3 are not GMT) whereas the 2836 GMT is a rep mod based as far as I can see on the 2893-2. I cannot see any mechanism in the 2893-2 to allow the 24 hour hand to skip. And there is no getting away from the fact it is too thin for the available cases though it is a higher quality movement undoubtedly.

Sure, that's how the 2893-2 GMT hour hand moves, by hour skipping so it's synchronized....my breitling longitude moves that way, and so do many of the older GEN Panerai GMT watches like the 29 and 63 (which use 2893-2).....in comparison, the GEN Rolex GMTs with the 3185 movements also hour 'skip' the GMT hand...............the smooth sweep GMT adjust of the modified 2836-2 is not correct.

Edited by btocamelo