When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Identify this T19

highoeyazmuhudee

Based on the 2nd pic, it is aftermarket. Possibly, Clarks, but impossible to say without good, clear macros of a Clarks sitting next to a gen (Clarks is very good). Note the band of defraction about 1/3 of the way in from the perimeter. You do not see that on the gen. I believe I (or it may have been Nanuq) posted a set of comparison pics a few years ago that illustrated this.

Based on the 2nd pic, it is aftermarket. Possibly, Clarks, but impossible to say without good, clear macros of a Clarks sitting next to a gen (Clarks is very good). Note the band of defraction about 1/3 of the way in from the perimeter. You do not see that on the gen. I believe I (or it may have been Nanuq) posted a set of comparison pics a few years ago that illustrated this.

yeah i was wondering about that, ive tried to seek out gen pics with the crystal installed and i do see some distortion at the sides. ill try searching some older posts if possible to find yours, or Nanuqs comparison shots, that'd be interesting to see.

A high dome gen 39 or 19 will have optical properties like this... smooth rate of distortion increase as you progress from center to the edge. No sudden increases in refraction.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Here are some comparison shots... which dome is gen, and which is aftermarket? That's a Helfand's "flat" 39 in next to them.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Here's the original thread from a few years ago:

Tropic 39 Comparison

Boy it's a tough call but I'd say aftermarket. Here's another idea, try looking at it in strong sunlight with polarized sunglasses. Do you see rainbow Moire patterns? Most of my gen domes produce those, but cheap or aftermarket domes don't.

nonpolarized.jpg

polarized.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics again Nanuq.

I have three bloody cristals in a box and I mixed them.

I know one is clark, one is gen and one is a rep.

Boy, it's a pain to find the difference between the clark and the gen.

I agree with Freddy: Clark sent me one for free and for comparaison purposes.

When it arrived, before I mixed them :bangin: I remember that I prefered the Clark.

One thing is sure: no more money in expensive gen tropics like a 39 SD for me.

I think the Clarks are very well build crystals.

But i changed mine into a gen T19 and IMO there is a huge difference mainly

on the brightness and clarity of the crystal.

The rainbow effects is much more on a gen.

But it all depends on how much do you want to invest for that 15-20% more of quality.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Gen Rolex crystals tend to be noticeably clearer than most aftermarket crystals. Clark's T39 superdome is the only exception to this (general) rule that I have found. Viewed from the side, the Plexiglas appears clear versus the ever-so slightly milky white translucence of most aftermarkets.

Gen Rolex xtals also tend to sparkle very brightly when sunlight hits them in some angles. This is a much less reliable tell, since the differences are subtle. This is similar to the skill many journeyman gemologists develop for being able to gauge a diamond's quality just by looking at it (with the naked eye). Once you develop the sense, you just know a gem when you see it.

Good point, Freddy. Also, that gen clarity gives you dramatic rainbow internal refractions in strong sunlight. Roll your wrist back and forth and you'll see all kinds of colors produced within the crystal itself.

Good point, Freddy. Also, that gen clarity gives you dramatic rainbow internal refractions in strong sunlight. Roll your wrist back and forth and you'll see all kinds of colors produced within the crystal itself.

Exactly. Like you, I have tried to photograph the effect, but it just does not seem to translate well in pictures.