When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another New Version Of The Asian 7753 (7750)

RWG Technical

Here is a New Asian 7753 model (28,800 BPH) with an improvement and a problem as well… This was sent in for normal preventative servicing by the owner as there was no noted problem with the watch, it was working fine. The owner sends most of his watches in for service as he wants to give them the chance of lasting a lifetime…in this case it was a really good idea, as you will see…

I have so far noted 3 three variants or versions of this new 7753 model. The differences are in the way the 30-minute transfer gears are attached to the movement. So far, this version is the best designed one I have seen, extremely well done (the 30 minute transfer gears that is, the rest of the movement has been commented on already, it’s a great movement).

Here is the view of the movement dial side, with the dial removed, note the new bridge over the 30-minute gears, it’s really well done…

123178-21087.jpg

Why I like this one is due to the design of the cover plate, and the quality of the gears themselves. Here they are with the cover off…

123178-21088.jpg

Another HUGE improvement is this here, how they have ensured the datewheel is well secured to the movement. On all other versions, this is a big issue, finally someone is paying attention and putting in the design that is needed on this otherwise fine movement…

123178-21089.jpg

So far so good, nice movement, and only in for a normal service. On these models, typically they are not oiled at all, and sometimes a bit dirty… Nothing new there, but wait, once I get the motion works bridge off, and look at the mainspring barrel, look what I found…seems as if someone got “Oil” happy on the assembly line…

123178-21090.jpg

There was oil everywhere including the mainplate and motion works bridge…look what was waiting for me when I took the barrel apart…

123178-21091.jpg

Took the mainspring out, and even more crap and oil…

123178-21092.jpg

Then I tried to wipe up as much as I could before the trip to the Ultrasonic machine…

123178-21093.jpg

After a long soak in pre-cleaner, and a few runs in the Ultrasonic machine, it’s clean and ready for assembly…

123178-21094.jpg

123178-21095.jpg

I also re-lumed the dial as part of the service, here is a progress shot…

123178-21096.jpg

And all done, dial and hands on, and testing for a few days and then back out to the happy owner, happier knowing that the movement is clean and serviced and ready for 5 years of work before another trip to the shop.

123178-21097.jpg

Thanks for reading.

RG

Excellent post that shows the differences between Ziggy and us mere mortals. :D

I wonder if this is the movement in the new Breitling Navitimers.

This is the first time I have seen this model, hopefully it will start being the normal one offered in all chrono's (hopefully minus the extra oil and dirt...)

RG

Great post, Rob.

But I'm a little confused! You are referring to this as the 7753 and I would have thought that it was just a 7750 with transfer gears. I see what looks like two additional jewels in the bridge, does this bring us up to 27 jewels like the ETA 7753 and is that the same way ETA accomplishes the task on their 7753 movement?

BTW, I had read that ETA was going to stop producing the 7753, have you heard that?

It is reassuring that the asian 7750/7753 continues to improve, of course, I think all of the reps are continuing to improve.

Thanks again Zigmeister!

Mac

But I'm a little confused! You are referring to this as the 7753 and I would have thought that it was just a 7750 with transfer gears.

It is a 7750 in 7753 configuration. :D

It's a 7750/3 or 7750@28 in 3-6-9, or whatever. We're all just making these names up as there are no official names.

It is a 7750 in 7753 configuration. :D

It's a 7750/3 or 7750@28 in 3-6-9, or whatever. We're all just making these names up as there are no official names.

Exactly my point, it's got a 7753 dial layout, not a 7750...

Dealers are still using the terms "Unitas" and "Lemanina", so I doubt we will ever be able to change any of this...but for those thinking of upgrading, they are mislead when the buy a ETA 7750 and find out the subdials are not the same as on their rep...

It's a quasi 7753, more so than it's a 7750...

RG

Hey Rob.

Great stuff, as always.

Question: is there anything distinguishing on the rotor-side that will tell us if we have this version of the 77XX as compared with the "NEW7750" ? Or is it just the dial-side gears that give it away.

I did not note anything on the backside of the movement that indicated that this was a newer modified version. It looked the same as they all do from the rotor side... I think this is a fairly new watch, so maybe this is the latest version in those coming out of the factories...lets hope so...

There is nothing inherently wrong with the other versions of this new Asian 7753 layout model, but this design (as you can see in the pictures, and if you compare to the other ones I have posted about) is a much improved design in many area's of the datewheel retention, and 30 minute transfer gears.

I think we should refer to these as "Asian 7753 copies" as that most accuratly describes the subdials, especially if someone is considering upgrading...a ETA 7750 is not a direct replacement for this model...

RG

RG

So be it. Asian 7753 Copy it is.

Don't want to nit-pick, but that will play straight into the hands of the scammers who are selling this movement as a replacement for the 7753 (quick search on ebay will let you see what I mean). There are many many 7753 based watches that will not accept this bastard 7750 (my chosen term) as it will be too thick for the case and the datewheel and pushers will be misaligned.

Also, this may confuse people into buying parts like Mark/Finepics replacement PAM datewheels for 7753 expecting them to fit this movement, which they won't.

If anything it should be referred to as Asian 7753 look-alike, although modified 7750 (as that is the base movement) is probably the least likely to cause problems.

Edited by r11co

Don't want to nit-pick, but that will play straight into the hands of the scammers who are selling this movement as a replacement for the 7753 (quick search on ebay will let you see what I mean). There are many many 7753 based watches that will not accept this bastard 7750 (my chosen term) as it will be too thick for the case and the datewheel and pushers will be misaligned.

Also, this may confuse people into buying parts like Mark/Finepics replacement PAM datewheels for 7753 expecting them to fit this movement, which they won't.

If anything it should be referred to as Asian 7753 look-alike, although modified 7750 (as that is the base movement) is probably the least likely to cause problems.

Good valid points...

I don't think there is any way we can control the amount of scammers on the bay, they will find a way somehow...

The general rule of thumb for parts interchangeability is that Asian and Swiss parts do not interchange. As for the 7753 datewheels, as far as I know, I am the only one that has been able to source ETA 7753 Datewheels, so far I have gotten 6 or so...

The biggest issue with any of these movements, is the fact that this one is not a 7750, but continues to be called this by the sellers...which only confuses everyone...

How about Asian 7750 (with 7753 subdials) that way it's clear to everyone. It would be nice if there was a numbering system we could use to make it clear to everyone what they have in their watch...especially when you see a post "I have a 7750 in my XXX, can I install a ETA 7750 as a direct fit...

And lets not forget, the differences in the hand sizes, subdial locations (Post 2000 Daytona) etc...very confusing for sure...especially when they are all called Asain 7750...

RG

I am the only one that has been able to source ETA 7753 Datewheels, so far I have gotten 6 or so...

Mark has commissioned pattern datewheels with the correct Panerai font. These datewheels fit the Valjoux 7753 movement but will not fit this version of the 7750 with the transfer gears to mimic 7753 subdials.

The biggest issue with any of these movements, is the fact that this one is not a 7750, but continues to be called this by the sellers...which only confuses everyone...

Technically it is still a 7750 as by removing the transfer gear you are left with a 7750. Presumably the rep makers start with the same base movement and then modify them accordingly (as is the case with thr 2836 modified to look like a GMT) which is probably where the misnomer occurs.

How about asian pseudo 7753?

Ziggy, could you describe what oils you used in the barrel and where it was applied?

Oiling a watch is a huge topic on it's own...too tedious to try and cover in a post...

The barrel sides are coated with a special grease, the mainspring in installed, then oil is applied to the spring coils, and once the cover is installed, a different oil is applied to the arbour pivots...3 types on this one part alone, in varying quantities...

Best to get some oiling charts from ETA.www.eta.ch, and have a look. It's more than I am willing or able to explain, sorry. There is probably information on Time Zone on oiling a watch...

RG