When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Airking lovers unite!

JoJo35

Ok, I finally folded and bought an Airking. Certainly one of the greatly admired rolexes, I had kept my eye on these for years, yet never found one that had the special something that really caught my eye, until now!

An early (87XXXX) '62 two-color gilt gloss dial, this 5500 runs with a 1530 under the hood. Honestly, I never thought I'd find an Airking that did it for me, but once I saw this one I couldn't help myself and had to have it. I took a few quick snapshots, hope everyone enjoys:

Oops, forgot to mention it has a gorgeous color-change black dial:

94hj0513.jpg

...and a dome plexi that is to die for:

eb8a7k5b.jpg

Not a bad dial for a nearly fifty year old watch!

346874b1.jpg

Here's a close-up of the gold and silver gilt font:

6483a621.jpg

Here's a couple more pics. I'll get it serviced next week and she'll be all set as a daily wearer :drinks:

34684366.jpg

bdbe398e.jpg

I picked up this gold shell AK about a year ago for cheap. Circa 1959, had it serviced. I was mainly after the 1530 movement, but I couldn't come to grips w/ cannablizing it.

Air-King001-1.jpg

Sometimes I think about updating it with a '72 silver AK dial with gold stick markers and gold stick hands but can't do that it either- so it remains original.

I picked up this gold shell AK about a year ago for cheap. Circa 1959, had it serviced. I was mainly after the 1530 movement, but I couldn't come to grips w/ cannablizing it.

Air-King001-1.jpg

Sometimes I think about updating it with a '72 silver AK dial with gold stick markers and gold stick hands but can't do that it either- so it remains original.

alligoat, your Airking is beautiful! IMO, these are definitely worthwhile additions to any serious collector, plus they make great daily watches! Is yours a gloss white dial with blued second hand? Very nice indeed!

"How much did those air kings set you back if I may ask?"

I bought a nice 5501 tutone AK timehead for $450 a while back but the dial had been refinished and had a dent in it. I bought a Yuki 5500 'Explorer' dial with goldtone letters and plan to put it on the watch after c/o, case tube, crown, and crystal.

After all that, I will have around $700 in it.

I could never get over the AK's. I've always fancied the 6426 and the 6694 Precisions. I've got some sort of stigma over the AK as being the entry level Rollie. I nearly picked one up on TZ but couldn't quite come to grips with my preconceived notions of AK's.

Still on the hunt foor a 6694 or a 6426 Precision. I picked up a 6466 with a 1225 movement for my daughter already.

I've always fancied the 6426 and the 6694 Precisions... I've got some sort of stigma over the AK as being the entry level Rollie.

Both very nice pieces for sure, and the 6466 is a great choice for your daughter. I always felt the same way about the AK, until I saw the gilt chocolate dialed piece I just picked up. If I hold it in the sunlight, it definitely "talks" to me.

Have you checked out any 6424's? Nice thin cased 36mm manual winds.