When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OMG, A Pair of Redundant Bezeled Pre-Daytonas

alligoat

After building a 6238/9 transitional and with parts left over, I decided it would be a no-brainer to build another one with the a 7750 movement. I have the original work in progress- the 'transitional', it's a V72 powered DW 6239 case with the 6238 dial and the 6239 bezel

P1010055.jpg

In the process of building this watch, which has been a labor of love for the last two years, I bought a second cartel 6238 and thought I might be able to use some of the parts from it to make the 6238 w/ correct assymetrical pushers. Alas, I was delusional, chinese parts rarely are the same size as gen and the best I've been able to do to date is build a transitional 6238/9. But with an extra cartel 6238, I decided to get a DW 6239/a7750 case and see if I couldn't build another 'redundant bezeled pre-daytona'. It's called 'redundant bezel' because the tachymeter scale is printed on the dial of the 6238 and also on the bezel of the 6239. I must give credit to my friend, LHOOQ, because he's the one who coined the term and I do like it! At any rate, I was able to fit the 6238 dial with a7750 movt in the DW 6239/7750 case and I must say it looks good IMO! It's on the right in this pic, next to the transitional 6238/9 on the left.

P1010060.jpg

One note, I did file off the 'tumah' on the crown side of the 6239/a7750 case. It's not completely gone, but almost so- what's left is fairly well hidden by the bezel. But this case really doesn't lend itself to installation of a 6238 bezel- the 'tumah' still shows too much. Luckily the 6239 V72 case doesn't have the same bulge- I may still be able to get a decent plain bezel for it, but I must say, I kinda like the 'redundant bezeled pre-daytona'!

One last thing, the a7750 redundant bezeled pre-daytona' isn't too expensive to build- a couple of hundred dollars for the cartel 6238 and another couple for the 6239/7750 case and you're there. Of course, you could buy a 6239/7750 Daytona from DW for about the same price. So pick your poison.

I like the redundant bezel setup!!

That 7750 turned out pretty good. Subdial spacing might even look ok when its not sitting right beside the correct one. I'm really starting to get into these old daytonas. I'm feelin the itch to build a v72 version also... correct movement engravings and all. I might make that a winter project.

dizz

Thanks guys.

I think my next project may be an 'albino' dialed 6239. Of course, I have to talk DW into making the dial first- but that ought to be easy- just leave off the black paint on the subdials!

P1000458.jpg

The Patrizzi Pocket Daytona book has some nice pics of the 'albino' dials- may shoot a pic of one of those tomorrow.

After building a 6238/9 transitional and with parts left over, I decided it would be a no-brainer to build another one with the a 7750 movement. I have the original work in progress- the 'transitional', it's a V72 powered DW 6239 case with the 6238 dial and the 6239 bezel

P1010055.jpg

In the process of building this watch, which has been a labor of love for the last two years, I bought a second cartel 6238 and thought I might be able to use some of the parts from it to make the 6238 w/ correct assymetrical pushers. Alas, I was delusional, chinese parts rarely are the same size as gen and the best I've been able to do to date is build a transitional 6238/9. But with an extra cartel 6238, I decided to get a DW 6239/a7750 case and see if I couldn't build another 'redundant bezeled pre-daytona'. It's called 'redundant bezel' because the tachymeter scale is printed on the dial of the 6238 and also on the bezel of the 6239. I must give credit to my friend, LHOOQ, because he's the one who coined the term and I do like it! At any rate, I was able to fit the 6238 dial with a7750 movt in the DW 6239/7750 case and I must say it looks good IMO! It's on the right in this pic, next to the transitional 6238/9 on the left.

P1010060.jpg

One note, I did file off the 'tumah' on the crown side of the 6239/a7750 case. It's not completely gone, but almost so- what's left is fairly well hidden by the bezel. But this case really doesn't lend itself to installation of a 6238 bezel- the 'tumah' still shows too much. Luckily the 6239 V72 case doesn't have the same bulge- I may still be able to get a decent plain bezel for it, but I must say, I kinda like the 'redundant bezeled pre-daytona'!

One last thing, the a7750 redundant bezeled pre-daytona' isn't too expensive to build- a couple of hundred dollars for the cartel 6238 and another couple for the 6239/7750 case and you're there. Of course, you could buy a 6239/7750 Daytona from DW for about the same price. So pick your poison.

That's a really nice build :) A 'redundant bezel' project is one possible project I'm considering myself, but it will involve the black dial variant of yours, and a modern Daytona case. It all depends on how the dial I already have marries up to the movement of the pre-Daytona I've seen available. By preference, I would like to use my panda dial for a pre-Daytona, but, if the dial isn't useable, I'll be putting the pre-D movement and dial in the modern case, for a hybrid build (I had considered that the scales would be on both dial and bezel, but hadn't considered the term 'redundant bezel', props to LHOOQ for coining the phrase :victory: )

At the risk of sounding redundant, I like the way they look! :bicycle:

But do consider the little bit of outsourcing work I suggested for your Texan neighbor. Either watch would make a great candidate for a 'Transformer' bezel setup!

As for convincing DW to make a special dial, that may be a bit trickier. But if you do succeed, I would like to propose a limited run of very early black 6239 dials--the ones that only say "Rolex" under the coronet.

I think my next project may be an 'albino' dialed 6239. Of course, I have to talk DW into making the dial first- but that ought to be easy- just leave off the black paint on the subdials!

:good:

I would like to propose a limited run of very early black 6239 dials--the ones that only say "Rolex" under the coronet.

:good:

2 brilliant ideas.