When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Insert for BK WM9 V2

homecd

I showed my BK V2 to one of my friends.

He is not an expert for the Rolex at all. Even he does not know the difference between Automatic and Quartz.

After spending 2-3 mins with my sub, I've got comments about the sub from him:

"Simply the bezel looks too shiny and cheapy." :bangin:

I know this is the problem for all the reps.

Now, I really want to put the gen insert for the sub.

Since it is not a cheap version, I do not want to have the same comments from other folks who are not familiar with watches.

I do not have skills to change the bezel by myself.

Who is the best member here to help me out? :wounded1:

Is the difference so evident?

I thought the bezel color was accurate enough. :mellow:

I have the V3 from BK and I think it has the SAME insert as the juverlyroutlet550 or what they are called.

I know as I just got two inserts from JO ! And they look VERY much the same as V3 insert ( exept from the pearl that is from VW9!)!

So I will use the old VW9 V1 insert ( together with a genuine pearl I found on ebay!) that is WAY more accurate than the V3/JO insert in my opinion.

See my pictures of the JO and the genuine ( the top one is the JO insert with a genuine pearl in it !)

And the bottom one is a genuine insert.

See the difference in the minute markers at 12 a clock and 1215 and on the JO insert they are to THIN :whistling:

post-8050-075451500 1286539045.jpg

genuine has a silver metallic sheen to the overall paintjob whereas my v2 was basically plastic.

It's easy to change it yourself, you just need bezel assembly instructions and a dull knife (I saran wrapped the knife to prevent scratches). Here's my V2 on gen insert

post2.jpg

the second problem is that gen bezel insert doesn't fit properly on rep bezel. rep bezel insert is thinner than gen. So in order to get recessed insert, you have to sand the genuine down a lot. I was too lazy, so i just sanded mine down halfway.

Edited by praetor

I have the V3 from BK and I think it has the SAME insert as the juverlyroutlet550 or what they are called.

I know as I just got two inserts from JO ! And they look VERY much the same as V3 insert ( exept from the pearl that is from VW9!)!

So I will use the old VW9 V1 insert ( together with a genuine pearl I found on ebay!) that is WAY more accurate than the V3/JO insert in my opinion.

See my pictures of the JO and the genuine ( the top one is the JO insert with a genuine pearl in it !)

And the bottom one is a genuine insert.

See the difference in the minute markers at 12 a clock and 1215 and on the JO insert they are to THIN :whistling:

big difference there!

:shock:

nothing compares with a gen insert, the way it reflects light and the subtle texture ive never seen replicated. the aftermarket ones never seem to get the detailing of the serif perfect either. average joe wouldnt notice, maybe even an AD, WIS would 100%. the WM pearl is the best available but still doesnt really look like the gen. at a close glance you properly couldnt notice the difference between gen and WM pearl.

It's like science really, you can't prove anything, but only disprove. And in order to disprove, there just have to be one "small" thing that's wrong with it. A rep is a rep, the only way there are no "tells" is to go with gen parts.

no doubt about that, a rep is a rep

but i'm just astonished since i thought the insert with a new pearl was something very accurate.

If the color/tone is different from the gen no need to say it's an instant tell for someone knowledgable.

Is this flaw underestimated a little bit?

You are correct. Bk uses the JO insert with the WM pearl and charges extra for it.

WIS = watch idiot savant

Edited by kbh

• 2 weeks later...

I think something like a bezel insert is getting into nit-picking in this particular situation. Here is my rational-- this is basically the ONE, DIY readily available after market part. It is not uncommon, even amongst gen owners to use these parts. There was even a thread on one of the Rolex forums about swapping inserts on GMT Masters to switch between black, pepsi, and coke.

From a "Tell" perspective, I think we are overplaying it for a multitude of reasons;

1.) A non-AD/RSC watchsmith might actually repair a real customers watch with an after market insert as either a cost saving measure to the customer, or as a higher profit margin.

2.) A mechanically inclined owner of a GEN might just replace their insert with the JO or eBay inserts and avoid the hassle of a trip to an AD/RSC/Watchsmith.

3.) Lighting! Unless examined up close, under direct sunlight I fail to see how this "Tell" is going to jump out @ a WIS (who I also think we are giving too much credit to in this dept.) or anyone. I can tell you in a dimly lit restaurant or under retina burning fluorescents most would be hard pressed to notice these nuances from arm length or greater.

I guess all I am saying is a bezel insert is not enough to prove or disprove REP -vs- GEN.

Don't let the "Macro Shots" put you into OMG the sky is falling mode. :)