When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me QC my DRSD MK III dial

praetor

I posted this on RG. I'm doing this project where I took scans of genuine dials and make a vector file using adobe illustrator so that I can print it and put it on my alarm clock =).

but I need help regarding the font, especially with the "ER" in "OYSTER" font and the "A" in "PERPETUAL", which I had to completely make from scratch because people keep posting watches @ 10:08. Do you think it's too thin? fat? not curvy enough? Also I think that the S in "OYSTER" is too fat. What do you think? All help is appreciated Thanks :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Artproject-1.jpg

Awesome project :tu: I did a similar thing for a wall clock, but using a Panerai-style dial :) I'm not enough of an expert to comment on the shapes of the fonts, but, if this is for a clock (presumeably without a date function) I would ammend the dial to only read Oyster Perpetual, and clone the 9 marker to the 3 position :) Can't wait to see the finished product, mine turned out like junk, but with the right printer and paper, I'm sure you'll get a first class result :good:

Good suggestion on eliminating the date. The reason I'm doing this is that this project has a lot of potential... I'm going to get a print shop (staples) to print it in colour, like 50cents a piece and they make transparencies @ $1 a print. Or I might go to a dial refinisher and "refinish" a dial bought of ebay or something.

@Dizzy, thanks a lot. But trust me, I've tried using the GWSD dial. The font, although very similar has quite a few differences. I used a lot of pictures from the antiquorum and doubleredseadweller.com. But only antiquorum is high res enough to make a tracing out of. Notice in gens compared to yours, the gen has a pointy tail in the "S" of the OYSTER or a flat S, whereas Mark 4 - GWSD is pretty much curvy S. Also there's a bit of a gap between "E" and "R", I'm not sure why they have this, but if there's a mistake I pretty much have to replicate it. Making a dial like this will make you a WIS in the DRSD MK3 department.

Oddly enough, the only high res pictures I found that has a complete oyster (in hodinkee), I doubt it's genuine because, of all 7-8 other DRSD mark III, this one has thicker font than the rest. Here's a comparison shot: Notice that the antiquorum one (single example) has a curvy L in ROLEX. I realize I'm asking too much. I'm sorry.

Comparisons.jpg