When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW VS. WM9 DIALS

CaptainJack

Hello all,

In a thread I started about the WM9 complete bezel assy, chief posted two pictures of a WM9 V2 next to

a MBW LV. I noticed how well the MBW had the line up of the "M's" on the dial face.

How do the MBW and the WM9 dials compare otherwise? Are the MBW's available and are they a drop in to the

WM9 V3's?

I've read reviews of the WM9 dial's being very good, but the line-up of the M's is off.

Thanks for any input or thoughts.

Jack

theyre both different. i'd say the wm9 is actually better. the mbk dial youre seeing is from a noobmariner, not even originally mbk, as the mbk dials were actually horrible for the 16610. the noobmariner dial is stylized after a 2005 production run of the submariner dial, where as the wm9 is more modern with subtle differences that i dont really want to explain.

Jack, don't get too hung up on the two M's- here's a gen dial- look at the m's!

7ef0c35d-855c-427c-8dde-3e3e3797ffe11.jpg

As you can see the upper m is left of the m in chronometer. And it's a late model gen LV. Even Rolex varies from run to run on this. Generally, WM9 dials are pretty good, noobs aren't bad and MBW's are third. Like JoJo says, you can always put a gen dial in there (but it's still a fake!)

Yep, Rolex is inconsistent. Just look at the 'Submariner' on your serti dial- note the serifs on the printing. Then look at the LV dial- no serifs. Different dials, differents styles. Variations on 16610 dials have also occured over the years. The flat 'S' dial comes to mind. And Rolex has used the same dial on Subs from mid 80's on- a 16800 dial will fit a 16610.

theyre both different. i'd say the wm9 is actually better. the mbk dial youre seeing is from a noobmariner, not even originally mbk, as the mbk dials were actually horrible for the 16610. the noobmariner dial is stylized after a 2005 production run of the submariner dial, where as the wm9 is more modern with subtle differences that i dont really want to explain.

The mbk dial is from a noobmariner???? I bought this listed as a MBW LV. You're saying that the dial on the watch Capt is referring to isn't actually a MBW LV, or that the MBW used a mbk dial in the LV??

Wow you guys are getting picky when it comes to those little "M" lining up.

I would have to have a pretty amazing submariner rep all around to worry about something so small :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I also think if thats the case, then I agree that you may as well look around for a used or NOS gen dial. Ive seen 16610 dials for three or four hundred bucks on ebay. There is no way anyone is going to call you out on your noobmariner or WM9 dial unless they are holding it and inspecting it SUPER closeup. By the time they get that close, if they are that much of a WIS, they will have already seen all the other flaws in the watch :black_eye:

Dont forget.. .a noobmariner recently fooled the best of the best self proclaimed rolex uber-EXPERTS over at The Rolex Forums. Not a cool thing to do, but none the less it was funny to hear all those guru's praise this new member new Rolex. The thread even had closeup pics!!!! It was only the big goofy replica crown that first arroused suspicion I believe. They have since deleted all the threads regarding this. Pretty funny.

Anyways... Noob dial = good :victory:

dizz

Hey guys,

I guess the "M" lineup isn't such a big deal as has been pointed out by several of you,

but the dial on my WM9 still has issues that require it's replacement.

In the thread WM9 V1 or V3, the last picture is a shot of the dial to show the missing

ink on the "O" and "C" of "OFFICIALLY". I can see the bottom left corners are missing ink

with low power reading glasses on.

I'm already up a creek on the bezel, BK just PM'd me that he doesn't have any of the V3

bezel's, so now I have to search for either a gen or a WM9 to get that part of the watch

up to snuff.

I've already got a gen crystal, insert and crown for this watch; looks like I'm heading in

the franken watch direction with a bezel and dial from somebody.

Silly me for buying a used "V3".

Jack

When I first got my WM9 v1, I had a thread going comparing the standard noob sub dial with the flat "S" dial that came with my WM9. Although I liked the flat "S" on the WM9 dial, the first thing I noticed was that the print was sort of a gray tinged white whereas the noob was a whiter white. At first, most thought that the whiter noob color was accurate to the gen until By-Tor showed his gen GMT had the same color as the WM9 dial. So it would appear that even paint color on gen watches vary.

I ended up going with the noob dial simply because the whiter print color appealed to my eye more.

Bottom line - Rolex has so many variances in their dials that cases can be made for both the WM9 flat "S" dial and the noob dial being more accurate to gen and as Dizzy says, nobody is going to call you out for either, so just choose the one that suites your taste better, or follow JoJo's advice and look for a gen.

I looked in the dealer section, curious who sells the noob.

Any help?

Jack

When I first got my WM9 v1, I had a thread going comparing the standard noob sub dial with the flat "S" dial that came with my WM9. Although I liked the flat "S" on the WM9 dial, the first thing I noticed was that the print was sort of a gray tinged white whereas the noob was a whiter white. At first, most thought that the whiter noob color was accurate to the gen until By-Tor showed his gen GMT had the same color as the WM9 dial. So it would appear that even paint color on gen watches vary.

I ended up going with the noob dial simply because the whiter print color appealed to my eye more.

Bottom line - Rolex has so many variances in their dials that cases can be made for both the WM9 flat "S" dial and the noob dial being more accurate to gen and as Dizzy says, nobody is going to call you out for either, so just choose the one that suites your taste better, or follow JoJo's advice and look for a gen.

I looked in the dealer section, curious who sells the noob.

Any help?

Jack

Yeah. Almost all the trusted dealers sell noob watches. I bought a noob 16610 dial from either Andrew (Trustytime) or Josh (Perfect Clones), I don't recall which.

Just send either of them an email and ask if you can by a noob 16610 dial from them. I'll bet you can.

BTW - they put those dials on both 2836 and 21j movements, so both sets of mounting pins are on the back of the dial. You need to remove the 2 you aren't going to use.

Jack....the "Noobs" of today are not the same noobs of early. Noob is a "catch-phrase" following a run of watches from closer to 2 1/2 years ago. At the time of their arrival, they were deemed to be "the best yet" so dealers have "coined" the the noob name. There is no per-say, "noob factory". That, my friend, simply doesn't exist. Ask BK about it..I'm sure he can fill you in much better on that.