When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 - 1675 - 16700 .... GMT !

Star69

as for the hand-set: i have trouble finding any hands for the ETA-movement - tried even the GTM-hand for 1570 - does not fit ...

Oops. Sorry, I forgot that all the aftermarket GMT hands are made to fit gen movements & I had to manufacture the hand for my Phase 1 6542. I would still install the black insert when it arrives.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops. Sorry, I forgot that all the aftermarket GMT hands are made to fit gen movements & I had to manufacture the hand for my Phase 1 6542. I would still install the black insert when it arrives.

your wish is my command ;)

IMG_6609.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder if these Seiko GMT Hands can be adapted. Take the 'bend' out of it and you are very close.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-HANDS-KIT-SEIKO-6117-GMT-WORLDTIME-AUTOMATIC-/350311218074

cool idea ! now i only need to find out what size it is ;)

VERY interesting...and very illustrative post. Are you saying that a GEN 1655 has the crown guard side thicker than the opposite, whereas a GEN 1675 is the same thickness?

If so...I did not know that...thanks for the confirmation.

I love this place...the knowledge is phenomenal.

I was not clear in my english, I wanted to say that Josh's 1655 has the crownguards side thicker than the opposite, may be its the fact of the CNC machining program as this case could be used for other purposes.

Also this is visually disturbing as the 1655 fixed bezel has a smaller diameter as the gmt bezel

The gen 1655 and 1675 used both the same case, the crownguard shape was slightly different depending batches, same for later Explorer II and GMT II cases

The gen 1655 and 1675 used both the same case, the crownguard shape was slightly different depending batches, same for later Explorer II and GMT II cases

Understood. Thanks for the clarification. I thought they were the same case...didn't realize the difference in manufacturing on the rep case.

• 3 weeks later...

While looking for something else, I came across this. I had no idea it existed. They must have had a lot of fun in the 1950s at Rolex! 

Pan American International Airlines White Dial GMT Master[Reference 1675] Circa 1960

This watch is extremely rare. Almost all Rolex GMT Masterwatches have black dials. Rolex originally developed the Rolex GMT at therequest of Pan American International Airlines and in Rolex folklore they madeblack dials for the pilots and white dials for executives. The photo aboveshows the Pan Am logo engraved in the back of the watch.

Page233Ref1675114.jpg

The bezel was replaced on this watch but everything else isoriginal. This watch has a number of interesting design details beyond the rarewhite dial. The arrow at the tip of the 24 hour hand is very small and thecrown guards have an unusual curved to a point shape.

• 2 months later...