When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 - 1675 - 16700 .... GMT !

Star69

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice work! The ETA 2893-2 takes the same size GMT 4th hand as Roles genuine. It made my 6542 build a whole lot easier. FxrAndy has them at a good price.

thanks ! that's my plan - they are a little cheaper on ebay ;)

thinking about a real GMT-movement :whistling:

First off, looks great! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Unless you want the slow beat, or total Franken experience I wouldn't bother. The modified 2836's and 21j's actually are the CORRECT hand stack for the 1675 (24/H/M). (It wasn't until the Master II's, that the hand stack went H/24/M). Heck an a21j 21.6 slower beat would be fine even. (Will $1500 + a service really make it that much better?)

First off, looks great! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Unless you want the slow beat, or total Franken experience I wouldn't bother. The modified 2836's and 21j's actually are the CORRECT hand stack for the 1675 (24/H/M). (It wasn't until the Master II's, that the hand stack went H/24/M). Heck an a21j 21.6 slower beat would be fine even. (Will $1500 + a service really make it that much better?)

the hand stack :doh: totally forgot to think about it :)

Awesome stuff. Would you by any chance have Before/After shots of the case details before they got modded. I'm assuming it was a crown guard shaping as that's what's pic'd in the detail shot, but the picture on the grinding wheel looks like it's lug horns that are being shaped.

It looks great. I'm not sure if I would want the 1675 or the one before.

Frank that is looking great - can you share where/how you picked that dial up?

How did you attach he bezel assembly to the case set when you converted from the 1655? Do you by chance have any pics of the component structure of how this is built up now? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

the dial is again from ebay - got it for a very good price - had some marks on it that where fixed with matte spray ;)

the bezel assembly you can see on the first pic at page 1 - basically a gen-like construction ...

Awesome stuff. Would you by any chance have Before/After shots of the case details before they got modded. I'm assuming it was a crown guard shaping as that's what's pic'd in the detail shot, but the picture on the grinding wheel looks like it's lug horns that are being shaped.

It looks great. I'm not sure if I would want the 1675 or the one before.

the original case is a little too fat on the hips ;)

you can see it on my 1655 pics.

here is where you have to start :

IMG_6030.jpg

i don't recommend the Dremel for this job ! ;) but Domenico insisted :)

i went later with sandpaper all over the case and the CGs too , but will have to wait till the gen crown is fitted

to see the end-results better ...

here is the case naked :

IMG_6031.jpg

cheers,

Frank

Frank - It looks great. Have you considered replacing the GMT hand with a 6542-style 'small' point hand & a Yuki 7206 rivet or gen 6251H Jubilee bracelet? Or, to ice the cake, consider switching the insert to black. In that form, I think it would be very difficult to ID the watch as a rep.

I can't tell from the pictures if the crown guards are the El Corniño style or not. I believe that's the early 1675 that had the small GMT hand. The later 1675 had the full size hand. 

ElCorniño01.jpg

Frank - It looks great. Have you considered replacing the GMT hand with a 6542-style 'small' point hand & a Yuki 7206 rivet or gen 6251H Jubilee bracelet? Or, to ice the cake, consider switching the insert to black. In that form, I think it would be very difficult to ID the watch as a rep.

thanks ! black yes - i already have a black insert on the way ;)as for the hand-set: i have trouble finding any hands for the ETA-movement - tried even the GTM-hand for 1570 - does not fit ...

R E L A X

I couldn't resist! The hand stack on the ETA 2893-2 is the same as the modified ETA or Asian 2836-2, the GMT hand is on the bottom. 

:thumbsupsmileyanim: thanks - or not - i already talked myself out of the 2893 idea ;)

The pointy crown guards are the El Corniño style were used until `64 or `65. The later 1675 had the more familiar looking crown guards and the bigger GMT hand. 

they are damn sexy - but im afraid to mess the case up and hove to go 6542 - so normal cgs fro me :)

i already talked myself out of the 2893 idea

they are damn sexy - but im afraid to mess the case up and hove to go 6542 - so normal cgs fro me :)

Then you're set. The 2836-2 will give you the correct hand stack for the later 1675 and all you need is the regular arrow size GMT hand that will fit that modified movement. I don't know how consistent our Chinese friends are with their modified Swiss or Asian ETA 2836-2, but the one I have measures 1.9mm, and the genuine GMT hand measures 1,7mm. So you'll need an Asian GMT hand. 

Guest rolexadict

Good job Star69 ! I noticed also in the background of your photo your tools and equipment... :rolleyes: I am jalous :angry:

you are right about the 1655 case, it has the crown side slightly thicker than the opposite,

I show you some pics I sent to Chiman in a pm to explain what I did - also with a dremel - using grinding bits then high speed silicon polishers for the finish

here, surligned in red the machine mark showing more material on the crown side of the case

1655case1a.JPG

then, in red the material I removed to build the 1675 with classic square crownguards

1655case1b.JPG

the green circle shows the gmt bezel size which is larger than the 1655 fixed bezel

1655case1c.JPG

then the job done on another case to build the pointed crown guards model, red surfaces indicate the removed metal

the side

1655case2a.JPG

and top and bottom

1655case2b.JPG

I did not touch to much the inside of crown guards from both cases as I noticed that you never have 2 watches with exactly the same crownguards shape. This is due to several re-polishing jobs. In the gen world, the watch loose value if it has over shawed crowguards, as tho much material has been removed by polishing action

my classic 1675

P1030291.jpg

Both classic and the El Corniño

P1030285.jpg

the original case is a little too fat on the hips ;)

you can see it on my 1655 pics.

here is where you have to start :

i don't recommend the Dremel for this job ! ;) but Domenico insisted :)

i went later with sandpaper all over the case and the CGs too , but will have to wait till the gen crown is fitted

to see the end-results better ...

here is the case naked :

cheers,

Frank

that's it I am building my own. Which dealer carries this case?

Thanks

Good job Star69 ! I noticed also in the background of your photo your tools and equipment... :rolleyes: I am jalous :angry:

great job on your twins - esp the pointed crown guards ! wow !

these are not my tools :) this is Domenico at work in his studio :)

you are right about the 1655 case, it has the crown side slightly thicker than the opposite,

I show you some pics I sent to Chiman in a pm to explain what I did - also with a dremel - using grinding bits then high speed silicon polishers for the finish

VERY interesting...and very illustrative post. Are you saying that a GEN 1655 has the crown guard side thicker than the opposite, whereas a GEN 1675 is the same thickness?

If so...I did not know that...thanks for the confirmation.

I love this place...the knowledge is phenomenal.