When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Shocking behavior from RolexUSA

TeeJay

I just went to check a reference number on John Holbrook II's reference site, and was confronted with this page. I cannot believe a company would be so pathetic, so petty and so precious about their name, that they will not allow someone to quite correctly label a private website 'RolexReference'. Knowing what a totally classy guy John is, I'm not surprised that he complied with their request to maintain his relationship with the company, but damn that is a low thing for them to do to such a loyal customer and staunch ambassador of the brand. It was his site which first educated me in the basics of the Rolex line, and I think it only right that he have named his site as he did. I have to admit, if I were John, I would certainly find my appreciation for the company tarnished by such treatment. *sigh* :wounded1:

Not that I likely ever would have brought a gen Rolex, but from now on, I will certainly only ever wear rep Rolexes as a private protest.

Mr. Holbrook, being a very smart individual knows that this was not personal per se, but rather the stance of a business that is applying their policy across the board in general. i.e. in an effort to not look biased, they are not playing favorites.

I have no doubt that this probably stung a bit, especially considering how long his site has been around, but I'm pretty sure he understands the why behind the request.

Mr. Holbrook, being a very smart individual knows that this was not personal per se, but rather the stance of a business that is applying their policy across the board in general. i.e. in an effort to not look biased, they are not playing favorites.

I have no doubt that this probably stung a bit, especially considering how long his site has been around, but I'm pretty sure he understands the why behind the request.

Oh absolutely, I appreciate it's like the rumor I've heard that Disney will not allow characters drawn in hospital wards. As you say, I bet it stung a bit, especially given what a staunch supporter of the brand he has been, I just really don't like to see that kind of corporate behavior in action :(

I read that some time ago &, frankly, the thought that went through my mind was 'What took Rolex so long?' Anyone familiar with Rolex & their long-established history of trademark protection through legal actions -- both official & un -- is probably wondering why so many websites exist that use Rolex trademarks with seeming abandon. I have been saying for a few years that it is only a matter of time until Rolex sets their sights (& lawyers) on google in search of websites that violate Rolex's trademarks. I went through something similar years ago with a toy manufacturer & these things always end the same way -- with the trademark holder getting their way.

I read that some time ago &, frankly, the thought that went through my mind was 'What took Rolex so long?' Anyone familiar with Rolex & their long-established history of trademark protection through legal actions -- both official & un -- is probably wondering why so many websites exist that use Rolex trademarks with seeming abandon. I have been saying for a few years that it is only a matter of time until Rolex sets their sights (& lawyers) on google in search of websites that violate Rolex's trademarks. I went through something similar years ago with a toy manufacturer & these things always end the same way -- with the trademark holder getting their way.

I totally understand what you mean, I think the thing which surprised me about it, is that the site has always been such a positive representation of Rolex (maybe they were sore that the Seamaster topped the Sub in the comparison :whistling: ) and only ever promoted the brand and it's image. Now if they were to have gone after Rolex2U.Com and shut them down, I could totally understand it, afterall, it's not only using the name, but selling the reps, but John's site, well, that was just a harmless reference source :pardon: If that had been me in the Rolex boardroom, I'd've said to bring him on board, send him new models to review and photograph. As mentioned above, being taken 'off the air' like that, given his clear loyalty to the brand, would have definitely stung, and I feel very sorry for him to be treated in that way.

I just went to check a reference number on John Holbrook II's reference site, and was confronted with this page. I cannot believe a company would be so pathetic, so petty and so precious about their name, that they will not allow someone to quite correctly label a private website 'RolexReference'. Knowing what a totally classy guy John is, I'm not surprised that he complied with their request to maintain his relationship with the company, but damn that is a low thing for them to do to such a loyal customer and staunch ambassador of the brand. It was his site which first educated me in the basics of the Rolex line, and I think it only right that he have named his site as he did. I have to admit, if I were John, I would certainly find my appreciation for the company tarnished by such treatment. *sigh* :wounded1:

Not that I likely ever would have brought a gen Rolex, but from now on, I will certainly only ever wear rep Rolexes as a private protest.

:g: Be careful TJ, i just counted, you used 6 times word R###x :g:

Interesting link, but damn, what a trashing. Have to admit, I've never found John to be anything but courteous, friendly and helpful in our past correspondences. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was a friend, as we haven't spoken in years, but he was certainly the kind of person I could imagine myself being friends with. I thought the self-promoter comment was a bit harsh, but again, I haven't seen enough of his behaviour on forums to comment on that. I can think of one watch 'enthusiast', who I would consider the king of self-promotion (and a Grade A ass-hole to boot) but I wouldn't ever start a thread to flame him... I thought it was interesting that someone pointed out John's critique of the quality of the Sub bracelet, as it was a point I had always agreed with, until I came to appreciate the Sub's origin as a tool watch, rather than just a luxury timepiece.

[Edit to add]

Just saw the second link, and having seen this comment:

"Amazing how a person that has never held a Rolex in his hand until a few years ago now is a self proclaimed Rolex expert."

All I can really say is that everyone has to start learning somewhere, and some are faster learners than others :D Time to read his Invicta review :)

Interesting link, but damn, what a trashing. Have to admit, I've never found John to be anything but courteous, friendly and helpful in our past correspondences. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was a friend, as we haven't spoken in years, but he was certainly the kind of person I could imagine myself being friends with. I thought the self-promoter comment was a bit harsh, but again, I haven't seen enough of his behaviour on forums to comment on that. I can think of one watch 'enthusiast', who I would consider the king of self-promotion (and a Grade A ass-hole to boot) but I wouldn't ever start a thread to flame him... I thought it was interesting that someone pointed out John's critique of the quality of the Sub bracelet, as it was a point I had always agreed with, until I came to appreciate the Sub's origin as a tool watch, rather than just a luxury timepiece.

[Edit to add]

Just saw the second link, and having seen this comment:

"Amazing how a person that has never held a Rolex in his hand until a few years ago now is a self proclaimed Rolex expert."

All I can really say is that everyone has to start learning somewhere, and some are faster learners than others :D Time to read his Invicta review :)

Invicta review :lol:

"I know, it's a dirty word... As a company, I think they have well and truly lost their way..."

I agree.

Relax watch co has no friends because they do not want any. A relax AD friend told me years ago that relax watch co sees their customers as fools to be screwed out of their $$ and they want no personal contact with them at all.

I have to agree with the AD from what I have seen and read.

I remember about 20 years ago when I had a question about a particular relax watch and the AD called relax in NYC and got one of their old timer watch guys on the phone for me to talk to. The watch guy also had the same watch and told me what I needed to know.

If the AD tried that now...they would probably pull his franchise and take him to court for some silly reason.

Groupies!

Stuff like this always makes me grin:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=96211

"I have an invicta, I bought it on sale at tj max for $60 bucks, for some reason it gives me a different feeling than when I put on my GMT II C TT, hmmmmmmm.......that feeling is of emptiness I do believe."

It's all in their head. :shock:

What if they put the watch on in total darkness and did not know what they were wearing. Would the feeling of emptiness be present or not? :huh:

As for me...

When I look down and see a genuine relax watch on my arm, I feel a little bit ashamed because if someone asks:

"Is that a real relax watch?"

I would have to say yes. :animal_rooster:

Invicta review :lol:

I felt it was an interesting comparison, given that at that time in his life, John was not a Rolex owner, and had not gone over to the Dark Side of Rolex Elitism... Of course, some might say it is impossible to compare a $300 watch and a $3000 watc, but we all know that Subs used to sell for around the $300 mark back in the day, and are probably only actually worth that much now, in terms of a 'water-proof SS watch', regardless of the over-inflated pricetag ;):victory:

"I know, it's a dirty word... As a company, I think they have well and truly lost their way..."

I agree.

Relax watch co has no friends because they do not want any. A relax AD friend told me years ago that relax watch co sees their customers as fools to be screwed out of their $$ and they want no personal contact with them at all.

I have to agree with the AD from what I have seen and read.

I remember about 20 years ago when I had a question about a particular relax watch and the AD called relax in NYC and got one of their old timer watch guys on the phone for me to talk to. The watch guy also had the same watch and told me what I needed to know.

If the AD tried that now...they would probably pull his franchise and take him to court for some silly reason.

Groupies!

Stuff like this always makes me grin:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=96211

"I have an invicta, I bought it on sale at tj max for $60 bucks, for some reason it gives me a different feeling than when I put on my GMT II C TT, hmmmmmmm.......that feeling is of emptiness I do believe."

It's all in their head. :shock:

What if they put the watch on in total darkness and did not know what they were wearing. Would the feeling of emptiness be present or not? :huh: As for me...

When I look down and see a genuine relax watch on my arm, I feel a little bit ashamed because if someone asks:

"Is that a real relax watch?"

I would have to say yes. :animal_rooster:

Totally agree with you :) I remember reading a while back about someone who had spent the past decade thinking they owned a gen sub, only to send it in for servicing, to be told it was a rep :lol: As you say, how did the feeling of the watch change on their wrist from one day feeling like it was a luxury timepiece, to another day feeling like it was a knock-off? I'd bet shit to gold that in the owner's mind, it felt totally different and de-valued, where in reality and an assessment by anyone else, the watch wouldn't feel any different on the wrist at all... I have to admit, I think I'd also be ashamed to have to say 'yes' to wearing a Real Rolex, unless, it was given to me as a gift. I certainly would never buy one for myself, and I suspect my friends and family know my views on watches enough to know that I wouldn't want them spending that much money on me in the first place, but would be happier with a rep :lol::victory:

ROLEX??

Never heard of them... :whistling:

Protest?

criticism??

Hmm... what about trying to have some fun

and send them a question via email?? :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Good luck on searching ;)

(except if youre asking in germany)

Cheers

George

:lol::drinks: