When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown Guard refinishing techniques

hackR

before i go screw up a couple crown guards, just wondering how you guys brush your crown guards to get that satin/brushed gen-like finish...what do you use - materials, process and/or tools...

please share your technique...the more the merrier...

thanks...R

Those Boston Watch pads look just like the Maroon coloured 3M ScotchBrite pads, but at 20x the cost. Can anyone verify that they're just cut up 3M pads, or are they actually a different material?

They're pretty much the same as the Scotch Brite pads, Dr.

There are two types available, one for coarser S/S brushed finish, another for finer re-finishing of sanitized Titanium surfaces.

The price?...eye gouging at its worst, mate. :thumbdown:

They're pretty much the same as the Scotch Brite pads, Dr.

There are two types available, one for coarser S/S brushed finish, another for finer re-finishing of sanitized Titanium surfaces.

The price?...eye gouging at its worst, mate. :thumbdown:

That's what I thought. Coarse is probably Green ScotchBrite, with fine being the Maroon one (or is it the other way around?).

I find running the CG in a single direction about a dozen times on a couple of fine grit papers gives me the grain which I then finish off with Scotch brite.

But as directed before Houndoggie does a nice tutorial on RG and WC :thumbsupsmileyanim: I just customised that to suit what I thought looked more gen like.

I can definitely tell you this is no Scotchbrite pad. It's actually a dark grey colored pad and it feels more like steel wool, but much finer. It does a great job, and works fast. :D

There are actually three types of ScotchBrite pads that I use. The common Green one, that you can buy at most grocery stores. The slightly less common Maroon one, that is available at most auto supply outlets (it is called 3M SB 7447). And the Grey coloured ones (3M SB 7448), like what you are describing. The last two are available in boxes of 20 6" x 9" sheets for about $14 a box.

Just don't forget, it must be the 3M Scotch-Brite brand, not the generic green pads a lot of stores carry (those are just nylon fibres, without the Aluminum Oxide coating).

I find running the CG in a single direction about a dozen times on a couple of fine grit papers gives me the grain which I then finish off with Scotch brite.

But as directed before Houndoggie does a nice tutorial on RG and WC :thumbsupsmileyanim: I just customised that to suit what I thought looked more gen like.

Good point mate,always in one direction,gives It a much more even appearance :good: