When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The sum of it's parts?

CaptainJack

Hello all,

In my search for a submariner bezel assembly, someone sent me a PM and joked

that I could always buy a used late model gen and take the parts off it and

sell the rest...

I got to thinking about that and was curious if any of you can remember going

prices for the following parts:

Movement

Band

Case

Dial

Crown

Crystal

Bezel Assembly

If any of you have seen selling prices for any of the above parts, please chime in.

I know an insert is about $100, crystal about $250, crown about $50.

Any others?

Jack

Breaking up a gen to build a rep? Just listen to that for a few seconds. Is this hobbie getting a bit out of hand?

Woe guys, I didn't say I was going to do it. I guess some of you mistook my "thinking about that" to mean I was actually contemplating

buying a gen to get some parts. No, it was just a curiosity. I don't have 4k to play with on a gamble; hell, if I did, I'd

just buy a second gen.

Strike that, even if I did, I wouldn't buy a second gen Sub. I don't mind spending a few hundred here and there over time to assemble a

quality rep, but after buying my 16613, I'm done buying very expensive watches.

Jack

"Breaking up a gen to build a rep? Just listen to that for a few seconds. Is this hobbie getting a bit out of hand?"

Nope. I have parted out a lot of modern (mostly quick set) R-brand swiss watches. It does not bother me at all as they are just 'machine made crap for the masses'. Modern swiss watches are fair game imho.

I will not part out solid gold case American made Hamiltons etc and I bought quite a few at scrap prices when gold was around $400/troz. I can not afford them now though.

I still wake up screaming when I have *shudder* The Nightmare.

Someone here posted photos of a very lovely Roamer Stingray, :wub: only to rip its heart out to power another project!

The horror! The horror! :shock:

Breaking up a gen to build a rep? Just listen to that for a few seconds. Is this hobbie getting a bit out of hand?

Although I would never do this, there is some logic to the notion.

If someone wanted a specific gen part for a franken project and couldn't find one, but also couldn't justify owning a $4k watch, he could buy the gen, take what he needs, and sell the rest without losing money (in theory).

Not the way I would approach it, cuz once I had the gen in hand, I wouldn't want to let it go, but I could see it happening.

what would be the fun in that? :D

sure, you can source a 1575 GMT movement out of a 1675 GMT master, in order to build a rarer 1655.......I can justify that....I can spend the $3K in parts....as opposed to spending the $12 to $15K that the real thing costs.

but, I'm not sure that I would buy a whole GEN watches and then part it out....unless that GEN was so much cheaper than the sum of its parts.

Some have done this for PAMs but the idea was to get the parts into a franken for another (rarer) model.

I think you should just get a gen and be done with it. Just my 2 cents.

what would be the fun in buying a Gen and be done with it? :D ....there are many masochists around here...it's the journey, not the destination that is fun

sure, you can source a 1575 GMT movement out of a 1675 GMT master, in order to build a rarer 1655.......I can justify that....I can spend the $3K in parts....as opposed to spending the $12 to $15K that the real thing costs.

but, I'm not sure that I would buy a whole GEN watches and then part it out....unless that GEN was so much cheaper than the sum of its parts.

Some have done this for PAMs but the idea was to get the parts into a franken for another (rarer) model.

I think you should just get a gen and be done with it. Just my 2 cents.

....unless that GEN was so much cheaper than the sum of its parts.

Well, that was the purpose of the thread; is a gen cheaper than the sum of it's parts?

I was given a ball park price of $500 to $700 for a complete bezel assembly, so that

pretty much answers the question about the top end, crown and movement. Has anybody

seen a selling price on a case, dial(and hands) and the complete band?

Jack

I've seen some old DJ with a 1570 movement go for around $1000....you can use the movement in a 1680 build, or some other vintage Sub build......only thing is you may probably have to spend $300 to service and oil the movement...just to be on the safe side...

selling off the other parts may take some time...case set, dial, hands, and bracelet