When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Easiest way to move a vintage clasp from one bracelet to another?

Jkay

Im loving the look of the vintage folded bracelet I received from Watch International today, (put it on my modded PT 1680) but I don't want to lose the functionality of the diver's extension found on the original bracelet.

It appears to be attached with swage pins. I don't own an arbor press so what are my options? Any ideas?

thanks

If all else fails, dremel the head off one side, press out the bits and disassemble.

To reassemble, find a nice sewing pin of the right length and diameter, press it through, nip off the extra length, leaving 1mm extra, then peen that extra down with a tack hammer into a "rivet head" shape.

then peen that extra down with a tack hammer into a "rivet head" shape.

How the heck do you get the metal to round over to make a rivet shape? Those pins are super hard steel and i cant get them to do anything except bend. Do you use a blow-torch or something to heat up the metal? Maybe i should break out the oxy/aceteline cutting torch... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Dizz

You can buy rivets and rivet tubes from supply houses in different OD and length. Buy a tube a few mm longer than needed and cut it to an exact fit. Be careful not to cut it too short or it will cause the flip lock to bind up.

If the rivet tube is too loose inside the clasp blade...you can make a spacer out of a stainless steel springbar tube and slide it over the rivet tube inside the clasp blade hinge. Most of the time they fit Ok.

note:

A spacer is sometimes needed inside a standard (non f/l) clasp cap hinge...usually not on flip locks.

Squeeze or press the rivets into the tube instead of driving them in to avoid flattening the rivet head and/or distorting the rivet tube.

Interesting... Never thought of using old spring bars cut down for spacers.. good tip!

I went through all my old junk clasps and pulled out all the pins and clasps so hopefully I have enough to get me by for a little while....