When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona "Time Bomb" Question

ojciec

I have read much about the Daytona's history of being a time bomb and eventually not working. Is this because of the chronograph function or the whole movement? in other words, if the chronograph/tachymeter isn't used much is it still destined to fail prematurely compared to other reps? I was looking at buying one and don't really plan on using this complication much (if at all).

The A7750 movement itself isnt that bad, especially after servicing as you will read in The Zigmeisters reviews in Freddys link. The problem lies in all the unlubricated transfer gears used to make the seconds at 6 layout. I wish they made a seconds @9 Daytona with a more reliable movement.. even a hand wind movement like the Lemania would be more reliable. Personally I would stay away from the Daytona for now. Its definately as you said, a "time bomb".

You guys with the good ones are lucky. Mine died after about 2 weeks. I would LOVE to have a reliable Daytona. Maybe I should buy one and have it sent immediately for graphite servicing... Seems to be the best solution. I know the mainspring on the copy is weaker than the ETA version. I wonder if a gen ETA mainspring will fit the A7750? Does The Zigmeister do the graphite treatment? Anyone in Canada do this?

Dizz

You guys with the good ones are lucky. Mine died after about 2 weeks. I would LOVE to have a reliable Daytona. Maybe I should buy one and have it sent immediately for graphite servicing... Seems to be the best solution. I know the mainspring on the copy is weaker than the ETA version. I wonder if a gen ETA mainspring will fit the A7750? Does The Zigmeister do the graphite treatment? Anyone in Canada do this?

Dizz

Main spring would not fit, on the one i tried the other day, the hole in the main plate was to big about 0.3mm to be exact on the asian, the solution would be to drill the main plate and jewel it, but we did not have the correct size jewel at 11pm sunday night, bit of a shame actualy as i had a box of about 50 new swiss main springs available