When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case back for a 1665?

Prsist

I feel sure a genuine will fit an MBW, can't comment on a PT version. You better take your heart meds before you go looking for a genuine!! There is one on the Vintage Rolex Forum right now, I believe the owner is asking 3950.00 USD for it.I don't know if you want to go that far. One of the problems I See with building a super franken, with lots and lots of genuine parts, is the cost gets away from you and at some point you realize you have 4K+ in a REP!! Of course if you bought the genuine caseback you would have more like 7-8K in your watch.

Here is the problem. You get all excited about building a super watch, throw caution to the winds and suddenly you have a LOT more money tied up in this watch than you ever dreamed possible. Now you have two alternatives. One if it's finished you try to sell it. Good Luck!! Follow the sales threads and see how many of the Super Frankens actually sell for anywhere near what the owner has invested, damn few. Your next alternative is to break the watch back up and part it out. I know it breaks your heart to see all that work down the drain, but you will probably get more for it. This is a case of "the sum of the parts is greater than the whole".

My only advice would be to take it slow and make sure what you want is really what you want. Don't fall into the teenage trap, It's easy to mistake lust for love!!

I feel sure a genuine will fit an MBW, can't comment on a PT version. You better take your heart meds before you go looking for a genuine!! There is one on the Vintage Rolex Forum right now, I believe the owner is asking 3950.00 USD for it.I don't know if you want to go that far. One of the problems I See with building a super franken, with lots and lots of genuine parts, is the cost gets away from you and at some point you realize you have 4K+ in a REP!! Of course if you bought the genuine caseback you would have more like 7-8K in your watch.

Here is the problem. You get all excited about building a super watch, throw caution to the winds and suddenly you have a LOT more money tied up in this watch than you ever dreamed possible. Now you have two alternatives. One if it's finished you try to sell it. Good Luck!! Follow the sales threads and see how many of the Super Frankens actually sell for anywhere near what the owner has invested, damn few. Your next alternative is to break the watch back up and part it out. I know it breaks your heart to see all that work down the drain, but you will probably get more for it. This is a case of "the sum of the parts is greater than the whole".

My only advice would be to take it slow and make sure what you want is really what you want. Don't fall into the teenage trap, It's easy to mistake lust for love!!

Oh no, I have no intention of buying a gen case back. just curious if one would fit. Would one from a DRSD fit? If I could find one from another rep I might consider it, if I do anything at all. The case back would be the last thing I would do. Crystal, crown, tube, cg shave,maybe a gen insert and pearl. Way down the road maybe a bracelet.

To be honest, I'd be real surprised if a caseback from another watch fit. And even then, I'd bet dimes to donuts it wouldn't be remotely waterproof. Remember this is the entry-level 1665 you've got here. I'd recommend you just enjoy it for awhile. If you really get the bug to go big with a 1665, your best bet is to pick up a good MBW and scavenge parts from this watch to build up the MBW (datewheel, movement, insert). Then you can start with the gonzo upgrades. But like Pannie153 said, it's easy to go waaaaaaaay too far. Enjoy what you have for awhile.

A hint learned the hard way: if you decide to go big with an MBW, let this be a lesson. Don't settle for something that's "almost good enough" when you really have the bug. In the end you'll buy the one that really IS good enough, and all the money spent in the interim is wasted. Save for the big kahuna, then jump in with both feet.

The PT watches are fun to play with buy you will never build a "super rep" from any watch you buy for $200. If you want an ACCURATE super rep you need a $1000 case, $1500 movement, $1000+ dial, $750 bracelet... I think you get the idea. The PT watches are VERY VERY good for the money you are spending, but you have to understand.. "you get what you pay for"

For example, my MBW1680...

MBW watch $400

Gen sub dial $800+

Gen bracelet $750

ETA MOvement hands etc etc $200

Bezel insert $200

Gen plexi $175

Crown and tube $150

Adds up fast (theres like $2500+ in parts there) and its still an ETA powered watch.. add another $1500 for a gen 1570cal movement.. At that point you may as well buy a gen Rolex and have a gen case and not a replica case for about the same money. Have fun building your watch and dont sweat the details. When you collect $3000 in parts to start your project, then you can worry about "details" :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Have fun!

dizz

the PT can only be modded so far, if your going for accuracy you buy the PT and take the best parts to use on an MBK, like the datewheel, the bezel insert is good enough on the PT to be reused IMO, the PT spring bars, bracelet since the MBK isnt that much better than PTs bracelet, and of course the 2846. this is what i would do if i were serious about a 1665 rep. its still relatively cheap and no where near NDT/yuki prices.

my 5513 im slowly building will probably cost me about $1200 when all is said and done.

so far i have an mbk 5513 case

mbk bracelet

GEN dial

GEN T19

GEN insert

GEN crown, tube

WO pinbars

clarks hands

but i still need to get the movement serviced by the zig'

lug holes done and tube replaced, and im trying to find some GEN 580 endlinks

im probably about $400 away, 5 years ago i could have bought a used gen 80s 5513 for only $1000 more. :p

1665 parts cost significantly more if youre going all gen.

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

You've heard from four pros and I'm going to make a few more quick points and be done.

1. As Nanuq said, this is a great enry level watch. Accept it for what it is.

2. Quit worrying about the case back. It's correct for a DRSD, but not for a GWSD. But no ones going to know or care. I'd be surprised if you can find a suitable correct replacement.

3. You might consider keeping the stock crystal on the watch- it is correct for a GWSD. If you do decide to swap, be ready for a challenge. You'll probably have to get a crystal retaining ring made, because the PT assembly sucks and you probably won't be able to get the whole thing together the way it was originally assembled. Luckily we have jmb who can make crystal retention rings fairly easily.

I bought my watch for $223 w/ shipping and spent another $200 on mods. The only thing I'd consider doing at this point is maybe working on the cg's some more- which doesn't cost me anything since I do it myself. Beyond that, I'm at the point of diminishing returns, IMO. But this is a great beater- it's WR and I love to wear it for the dirty work- when I'd prefer not to tear up a gen watch. That's what I love about reps most- they look great and who cares if you total out a $400-600 watch, you can always build another.

P1000285-2-1.jpg

My watch has an MBW dial- better than the PT dial, but there are some DW alignment issues on certain dates, others are perfect.

gen crown and aftermarket tube

aftermarket high domed T-39 from G&S

crystal retention ring from jmb

modded cg's

I did see a gen GWSD on VRM for $8500 the other day- that's about the bottom of the market for a gen, unless you take your chances on fleabay.

You've heard from four pros and I'm going to make a few more quick points and be done.

1. As Nanuq said, this is a great enry level watch. Accept it for what it is.

2. Quit worrying about the case back. It's correct for a DRSD, but not for a GWSD. But no ones going to know or care. I'd be surprised if you can find a suitable correct replacement.

3. You might consider keeping the stock crystal on the watch- it is correct for a GWSD. If you do decide to swap, be ready for a challenge. You'll probably have to get a crystal retaining ring made, because the PT assembly sucks and you probably won't be able to get the whole thing together the way it was originally assembled. Luckily we have jmb who can make crystal retention rings fairly easily.

I bought my watch for $223 w/ shipping and spent another $200 on mods. The only thing I'd consider doing at this point is maybe working on the cg's some more- which doesn't cost me anything since I do it myself. Beyond that, I'm at the point of diminishing returns, IMO. But this is a great beater- it's WR and I love to wear it for the dirty work- when I'd prefer not to tear up a gen watch. That's what I love about reps most- they look great and who cares if you total out a $400-600 watch, you can always build another.

P1000285-2-1.jpg

My watch has an MBW dial- better than the PT dial, but there are some DW alignment issues on certain dates, others are perfect.

gen crown and aftermarket tube

aftermarket high domed T-39 from G&S

crystal retention ring from jmb

modded cg's

I did see a gen GWSD on VRM for $8500 the other day- that's about the bottom of the market for a gen, unless you take your chances on fleabay.

Good points gent. I just like to get all the info I can and decide if it is worth it. I'll probably stick with the following mods as originally planned:

1. 25-39 crystal

2. gen crown (i've seen them go for anywhere from $25-$80)

3. aftermarket tube

4. Upgrade the spring bars

5. cg shaving

You are all right, It can get to a point where it is easier to buy a gen. I have set a limit of around $500-$600 for a gen with mods. This of course doesn't include a movt service.

I believe that you have the right idea, and certainly what you plan is feasible and realistic for the PT SD. As alligoat said, build it as a beater, wear the hell out of it and if you really, really like it but wannt something better, find an old MBW case or complete watch and go from there. you can make it as good as you want or as much as your budget will allow.

Good luck

I believe that you have the right idea, and certainly what you plan is feasible and realistic for the PT SD. As alligoat said, build it as a beater, wear the hell out of it and if you really, really like it but wannt something better, find an old MBW case or complete watch and go from there. you can make it as good as you want or as much as your budget will allow.

Good luck

That's the plan. I really like the PT and will be quite happy with it. As you all know the longer I am here, you never know how mental I will get! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

this is the only caseback ive seen the MBKs come with these days. from the most recent one i sold. which IS correct for the white.

4669679656_d2b87d0afa.jpg

i love everything about these watches except the way they feel on my wrist, too tall and cumbersome. it sadens me that this is what stops me from wearing one, because they truly are beautiful and have some marvelous character and history.

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

the PT can only be modded so far, if your going for accuracy you buy the PT and take the best parts to use on an MBK, like the datewheel, the bezel insert is good enough on the PT to be reused IMO, the PT spring bars, bracelet since the MBK isnt that much better than PTs bracelet, and of course the 2846. this is what i would do if i were serious about a 1665 rep. its still relatively cheap and no where near NDT/yuki prices.

my 5513 im slowly building will probably cost me about $1200 when all is said and done.

so far i have an mbk 5513 case

mbk bracelet

GEN dial

GEN T19

GEN insert

GEN crown, tube

WO pinbars

clarks hands

This is basicly my plan also... MBW case, clarks crystal, PT movement and silver datewheel, Yuki dial, gen crown, PT insert and probably a gen bracelet. Thats going to render you a pretty good watch for about $1200 or so in parts. I might even use the PT great white dial. I'll see how it looks when i get it. I just need to finish this datejust im building and then its over to the 1665 project

this is the only caseback ive seen the MBKs come with these days. from the most recent one i sold. which IS correct for the white.

4669679656_d2b87d0afa.jpg

i love everything about these watches except the way they feel on my wrist, too tall and cumbersome. it sadens me that this is what stops me from wearing one, because they truly are beautiful and have some marvelous character and history.

I was afraid the 1665 would be to tall as well. For me it works great. Not sure if it the hollow middle links but it is very light weight, which is a must for me. I love my 1665!